Help me, I'm detarded...

essohbe

Hey everyone,

I just joined this forum after hearing about the game. I'm an old xcom fan (and I am still playing the original games). I was complaining about the firaxis game on another forum and someone told me about this one. I would love to get it but I'm pretty stupid with computer stuff.

From what I understand I have to buy the game through a client like steam? There is apparently an option around that also but it's confusing to me. If you buy the game then you have perpetual access to the latest version? Also, from briefly reading I gathered the game isn't quite finished but people are talking about playing it, are they playing demos or is there unfinished versions released?

I guess I'm interested in doing the easiest thing possible that allows access to the best version avaialble. Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the forums! To answer your questions, let's take this one step at a time.

Xenonauts is an alpha funded game. You pay for a pre-order, and you get access to the alpha (then beta) version of the game. Periodically, new builds of the game with new things added, or old things taken away (or both) is released, and the people who have pre-ordered the game get the chance to comment on the additions (and subtrations). Particpants who pre-order the game do not need to particpate in the alpha or beta stages of the game - they can simply wait until it has been released.

Xenonauts is currently only available on Desura. It will be available on Steam at release as well as Desura and possibly on other as-yet unnamed digital distributors. Desura offers both a download thorugh its client, and a zip file which you can unpack the game. If you buy the game through Desura, once it has been downloaded, you do not need to run it through the client again. Desura should always update with the latest version of the alpha.

EDIT: Almost forgot - Desura does not automatically update your game - when a new build is uploaded, the client will tell you the next time you try to run the game through the client. Updating can be a hit-or-miss affair with Desura, but Chris & co. are working on a solution that should help.

Edited by Max_Caine

Do you knowq what an alpha version is?

The alpha version of the game is not content complete (you cant finish the game). it currently only holds the first part of the game. you can research lasers and one set of armour but there are a lot of content that is being withheld from the customer build.

Also the alpha build contains a few bugs. bugs that prevent users from playing are prioritized to fix, but smaller bugs are put on the back burner as the devs focus on implementing content. (they will be fixed eventually but can persist for a few builds if you can workaround them while playing)

If you want to look what is this game about - you can try kickstarter demo

If you want to give to Chris some money for development or you intrested in development of game itself - you need to register at desura and buy it through it

If you want to play completed game - you can to wait until release and buy it then.

I have played the old Xcom games and the new one.

I did not like the new one, it honestly feels too dumbed down for me.

I pre-ordered this game and played for a bit in the alpha a couple months ago.

The bugs and other Alpha related issues with the game has put me at a point where I feel deterred from playing.

I decided to pre-order to at least help with funding the development of this game as I have been looking for a new game like this for some time.

Since the game is still in alpha I have decided to wait with playing at least until its in beta, and will of course reserve judgment until the game is finished.

However what I have seen of the game looks very promising and I hope the development team can make good on the potential of the game.

Just preorder and play when it's finished. Whatever Deity out there knows how many alpha/kickstarters I have by now. It's so many (and more are yet to come) that I have to simply forget about them until I get an email about the completion of said game.

And the upside is I get to support GOOD games and at the same time save a crapton of money. Win-win-win situation for me, my wallet and the devs. All it costs me instead is a tad of patience.