What do you want in the wiki?

Chris

OK, so the wiki is meant to be a community tool really. It's not intended that I sit here and populate the entire thing. However, in order to get it started, I'm happy to write a few articles.

What would people like me to write them on? I'm going to start with something on the Terrain Editor as I think it's a shame nobody has done any mapping yet (maybe I'll create a new subforum for it), but what would you like after that?

If you can add to the technical side of things that we grunts have no access to (like the accuracy calculations you have already done) I am sure we will come up with the rest of it over time.

I have added something to the item creation section and might have a chance to look at mapping over the next week or so.

It is next on my list of things to break.

If you have added info by then it will make things easier for me to try out :)

My suggestion for things to look at next for you would be the "master list of what each file controls".

I know it would be subject to change though so may be a job for release time.

I agree, technical things and the calculations etc that are not exactly ... "learnable" just from playing the game. Though a few basic things too to get the ball rolling would be good, gameplay and controls, some background "The Iceland Incident" for example, and maybe a few stub pages for things you want done, Chris, but don't have time to do ...

What would people like me to write them on? I'm going to start with something on the Terrain Editor as I think it's a shame nobody has done any mapping yet

As for the terrain editor, I'm worried about it's Steam compatibility.

For the moment, let's disregard the entire issue of how the game decides to select the "industrial" tileset for an encounter.

That is not directly a terrain editor or tile set issue.

Let's just say it does... how could I convince the game to use only my designs instead of the default designs?

Steam would be very adamant about "repairing" \assets\maps\Industrial\industrialtest.xml through auto-updates.

It has to do that to ensure a working installation.

Adding new maps may be as easy as anything but I would be eternally unable to get the game to not use it's default maps - and getting the game to not use default stuff is the entire point of modding.

The low-end modding issues are pretty self-explanatory.

There is a table and if you want to alter the range of a weapon, you alter the number in the column labeled "range".

A few relations are pretty cryptic, like which icon a particular fighter or fighter squadron displays on the air combat and/or geospace screens but there are few of those.

How the high-end works and how it gets around Steam's auto-updater is the elephant in the room and makes all the low-end issues irrelevant.

Edited by Gazz

The game checks for a /mod/map folder.

If it finds one it reads the xml file in there that sets its default map locations?

One xml file can be default.xml with a simple yes/no flag inside to allow you to use the original maps or not.

Other xml files for different map types can be added to the map root in the same way I suggested for item creation mods.

The only other addition would need to be a flag in each map type xml file to show which mission areas that map type would be valid for.

Have a look in assets/earth/continentmasks at the tileset images to see what I mean.

Each area would have a number and the valid area numbers would be listed in the file.

I agree with you, that was just a quick suggestion on how to tie it in with the other mod suggestions.

Being able to remove any or all of the original items/objects/maps would give the chance for full makeovers.

Not really what this thread is about though so I may be getting Sathra'd any time now ;)

It seemed like a useful thing to do. But we're getting off-topic.

Only things I can think of are:

-Damage types, do they have different effects

-How do combat shields and cover interact

-Why do the morale numbers for troops not make sense (72/65 and things like that). The whole morale system really.

• 1 month later...

I've added a bunch more stuff to the Wiki - the main additions are:

- Finishing the info on how to use the Sub-Map and Level map editors

- Damage formula

- Morale formula and modifiers

- A list of all the importing mod files and what they control

If anyone has any requests for other systems they want me to document, post it up here and I'll try to get it done. I'm on a bit of a roll with the wiki at the moment now's as good a time as any to let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but as this alredy is about the wiki ill just post it here:

Is there a link to the wiki? I looked all over the main page but was somehow unable to find one. I had to got the long way around using Google. And if there is one and I didnt see it maybe others have similar problems, so could you make it a bit more obvious?

Ah Thank you!

Didnt think about that route at all. I only searched on the Xenonauts site. Thanks for the link, but I think that it would be nice to have a link to the games wiki on the games site as I strongly believe that that will keep future questions about the wikis whereabouts to a minimum.