Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you want in the wiki?

What do you want in the wiki?

OK, so the wiki is meant to be a community tool really. It's not intended that I sit here and populate the entire thing. However, in order to get it started, I'm happy to write a few articles.

What would people like me to write them on? I'm going to start with something on the Terrain Editor as I think it's a shame nobody has done any mapping yet (maybe I'll create a new subforum for it), but what would you like after that?
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

If you can add to the technical side of things that we grunts have no access to (like the accuracy calculations you have already done) I am sure we will come up with the rest of it over time.
    I have added something to the item creation section and might have a chance to look at mapping over the next week or so.
    It is next on my list of things to break.
    If you have added info by then it will make things easier for me to try out
    My suggestion for things to look at next for you would be the "master list of what each file controls".
    I know it would be subject to change though so may be a job for release time.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

It's probably best if you focus on technical stuff that will help modders. Everything else will take care of itself.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

I agree, technical things and the calculations etc that are not exactly ... "learnable" just from playing the game. Though a few basic things too to get the ball rolling would be good, gameplay and controls, some background "The Iceland Incident" for example, and maybe a few stub pages for things you want done, Chris, but don't have time to do ...

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Also anything from in game that has been revealed perhaps? Like the starting aircraft and weapons, etc.

basically just stuff you already had on the last site, which can then be transferred over easily!
    Last edited by anotherdevil; 10-20-2011 at 21:30. Reason: Thought of more stuff to say
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

The stuff from the last site can be transferred by anyone who can copy and paste while it is still running.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

This is embarrassing for me, but tips on how to fly the frickin planes would be great. I just lose every time
    Long live the spirit of X-COM.

Huh. There isn't much strategy to the air combat as yet. Mostly I just charge, fire the missiles a few seconds apart (since there is a cooldown on roll), and keep a hand on the pause button to get dodges in.
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.
    Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

see, pausing to dodge, didnt think of that
    Long live the spirit of X-COM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    What would people like me to write them on? I'm going to start with something on the Terrain Editor as I think it's a shame nobody has done any mapping yet
    As for the terrain editor, I'm worried about it's Steam compatibility.

For the moment, let's disregard the entire issue of how the game decides to select the "industrial" tileset for an encounter.
    That is not directly a terrain editor or tile set issue.
    Let's just say it does... how could I convince the game to use only my designs instead of the default designs?

Steam would be very adamant about "repairing" \assets\maps\Industrial\industrialtest.xml through auto-updates.
    It has to do that to ensure a working installation.

Adding new maps may be as easy as anything but I would be eternally unable to get the game to not use it's default maps - and getting the game to not use default stuff is the entire point of modding.

The low-end modding issues are pretty self-explanatory.
    There is a table and if you want to alter the range of a weapon, you alter the number in the column labeled "range".
    A few relations are pretty cryptic, like which icon a particular fighter or fighter squadron displays on the air combat and/or geospace screens but there are few of those.

How the high-end works and how it gets around Steam's auto-updater is the elephant in the room and makes all the low-end issues irrelevant.
    Last edited by Gazz; 10-23-2011 at 16:15.