Xenonauts distribution?

Mew

Well, first of all, the game appear very interesting.

However, I have been rather worried for a few reasons.

To summarize? Although I am not against paid downloadable games, I am strictly opposed to Steam-style games (where all you buy is merely a permission to redownload the game every time you want to play and where you must have an internet connection at all time and the second the support vanish, you just wasted your money).

So I want to know if Xenonauts will have an option that allow you to, you know, actually own the game.

Thanks in advance.

(P.S. I apologize in advance in case the question was already asked.)

If you stick with Desura, then you won't ever need an internet connection again after downloading it. Desura's front-end is utterly uncessary to run the game, as is a connection to Desura either. Just make a shortcut from the xenonauts directory. You can do that right now if it takes your fancy.

Thank you.

I really dislike Steam due to the fact that it's a "you play only if we feel like allowing you" type of service. AKA say I want to play a game I paid for ten years ago but still find fun to play. Well, tough luck, even if my computer is still compatible. That and the potential problems it cause with mods (even though I'm not a big modder/mod-user, I do appreciate the possibility of it and have played them occasionally).

If Desura allow me to actually own the game and play it even if it go offline/stop supporting the game, I'll get Xenonauts that way (this is important for me since my internet connection is unstable so even if I didn't have my philosophical problems with Steam games, I'd still have problems with them).

Well, I've checked it out and Desura is the best option ; you actually truly download the game from it rather than a permission to redownload the game whenever the service feels like it.

Hopefully, the 'download the whole game' point will remain for the final game. As this is a Desura option, I suspect it will likely stay (unless it has filesize limitations regarding that point).

To summarize? Although I am not against paid downloadable games, I am strictly opposed to Steam-style games (where all you buy is merely a permission to redownload the game every time you want to play and where you must have an internet connection at all time and the second the support vanish, you just wasted your money).

Thanks in advance.

Has this happened to you? What game was it? Did you contact steam support about it?

Have you tried launching steam in offline mode and see if the game works then?

-- off topic begins

I think you will never truly own the game unless you are a developer. Even when you buy the retail, it's just a copy, materialized in a medium. Same as "the permission to redownload the game every time you want to play", only autonomous. Medium can be broken and no one will give you a free copy (unless you have a russian-pirate-friends or something).

I've yet to heard for steam game to be broken, unless you've really violated the rules. Just think about it as of your personal DVD vault, hosted by the other company.

And of course, almost every game will run in steam offline mode, unless forced other way by the 3d party publisher.

--off topic ends

Anyway, you've probably meant a DRM-free game, and AFAIK, desura version does not have a DRM.

Gorlom and a333 are both right.

The only reason why STEAM is so widely loved is that the DRM that you have to get is STEAM itself. And even then, only games that require a constant internet connection are the ones that force you to be logged on. Can't remember how many times I was able to play something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP (one of my most favorite games) offline. Heck, generally, indie titles don't even care if STEAM is connected or not.

Plus Steam Support is quite on-the-ball almost all the time, with wait times for answers taking at most 16-20 hours (personal experience).

Goldhawk have said (believe it is on the kickstarter page) that Steam, Desura and other DRM free versions will be available on release and for redeeming your pre order key.

The other DRM free versions are yet to be arranged due to the early stage of the game.

I am sure they will do what they can to get as many different distribution methods as possible to please as many potential customers as possible.