Build V17.5 Planned!

I know I've previously said that the current release will be the last one until the beta, but I've changed my mind. At the moment we're making some pretty substantial changes to the Level Editor to the point where the game just doesn't support the old maps and the old tile setup any more.

As such, we'll be releasing an update to V17 next week. It's not a major update in gameplay terms, it's basically an infrastructure update to support the testing we're doing prior to the beta. It'll include the following:

Updated Level Editor: The new level editor should make it MUCH easier to generate levels. We're implementing a system where you can stack sub-maps on top of each other in different layers, with empty ground tiles being read from the sub-maps below.

Essentially this will just let you paint a massive area as a field, and then easily paint trees or props or walls or even buildings on top of it and not have to worry about the underlying ground tiles fitting together. The Sub-Map editor is still a bit of a monster to deal with, but the Level Editor should make generation of new maps child's play. We're releasing it early simply because it's not backwards compatible at all.

Desura file compression: We want to give this a pre-beta test to see if it works. It should reduce the file count by about 75%.

New Ground Combat UI: This will be in there. It's just new graphics, no new functionality really.

Autohide Roof: This functionality will be in, though, which means buildings will be displayed with their roofs on by default again but should be hidden if you go inside or behind them.

Nowt too exciting, I'm basically saying this so nobody freaks out because they think it's the beta when it is released!

Good to see another pre-beta patch go out. Personally am ready to see the monster of an update awaiting us when Beta DOES drop. Gonna prove interesting since we'll actually have our first full taste of the game...

Anyone else thinking about a Xenonaught Combatant BBQ to celebrate when Beta launches?

Update on V17.5 - the level editor updates are good to go but the new UI (we're working on the ground combat one and the new Geoscape topbar) has some issues we'll have to fix up first, otherwise people will be really puzzled by what is going on.