New UI preview!

Chris

That looks like the placeholder art, copied from the soldier equip screen.

It is copied from the machine gun used by your soldiers in ground combat which more than likely does represent the M60.

Except it's an M240 (or as the rest of the world knows it, the FN MAG) as it looks nothing like the M60.

It also isn't the art currently used in game to represent the .50 cal MG, which is the point I was making :P

It is just part of the mock up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1797[/ATTACH]

That is the image used.

No idea if it is final or not but should set wingedwolf's mind slightly more at ease.

Yeah, sorry, was meant to quote wingedwolf in that post as well, in order to back you up.

Edited by Buzzles

Hmmm....

The .50 Cal still looks wrong to me. The barrel should not get narrower towards the end, this is the biggest (perhaps only) flaw. I don't know what the rings on the barrel are suppose to do, but they aren't part of the Browning .50 CAL. I see no sights, but it's a vehicle mounted weapon. Looks to me like there is only half a charging handle, but it might be made to be mechanically charged. The .50 CAL pictured is right hand feed, which you would have when you have two .50 CAL HB MGs firing on the same trigger. The MG to its left would have a left hand feed, the common set-up.

Hmmm....

The .50 Cal still looks wrong to me. The barrel should not get narrower towards the end, this is the biggest (perhaps only) flaw. I don't know what the rings on the barrel are suppose to do, but they aren't part of the Browning .50 CAL. I see no sights, but it's a vehicle mounted weapon. Looks to me like there is only half a charging handle, but it might be made to be mechanically charged. The .50 CAL pictured is right hand feed, which you would have when you have two .50 CAL HB MGs firing on the same trigger. The MG to its left would have a left hand feed, the common set-up.

Might not be standard set up though. Might not be a Browning at all. *shrug* I do not have an issue with it. :)

Personally I think you may be examining the images too closely :P

Personally, I'm aware most who play this game will never lay hands on a .50 CAL machine, let alone have the pleasure of maintaining them. It was my job years ago to examine them closely, this creates a personal bias towards accuracy. Most of you guys can also watch The Hurt Locker (an award winning film) and find it accurate enough for your tastes.

If the images were technical drawings or some other representation that was supposed to be 100% accurate by definition then I would agree with you.

As it is a representation of a generic weapon for use in a game I am prepared to give the artist a little leeway.

As you say though, weaponry is not a big thing for me, I couldn't really care less about the fine details as long as the picture is good enough for me to tell what it is.

Never seen the hurt locker either, is it any good?

The Hurt Locker won awards. I know plenty of people who like it.

Most people I know who don't like it, like myself, are veterans, or still in the military. To sum up why I don't like in one word: accuracy (to be fair, some elements were spot on). Other than that, it has a decent story, good cinematography, good acting. You know, the stuff they care giving rewards out for.

As for generic weapon: there are dozens of different sniper rifles, assault rifles, shotguns, pistols, but there aren't enough .50 CAL machine guns for the model chosen to be lost in a sea of diversity. So when I see a design obviously based on the Browning model my mind's eye automatically begins imagining the weapon's action. The barrel and the double buffer are the only things that looks inexplicably off to me.

Enough with beating a dead horse, or turning a ant hill into a mountain. The new UI looks like it did what it set out to do, make the game look nicer and more streamlined.

Edited by wingedwolf

• 2 months later...
Oh god, 70s people look awful.

I'm %100 with you here, Chris, and I was born in 78.

I can see the argument for the pure/complete 70's style, but, we should suspend that portion of immersion I think. These are "super secret, best of the best, the military is 20 years ahead of us" types in Xenonauts after-all. If we go pure 70's, all the black guys will have to have either huge puffy afro hairstyles or jerry-curls and all the white guys will look like the Dukes of Hazzard in military gear....

Let's not do that and pretend we did...please....for the love of god please. Maybe put some 70's styles cars on the maps where you're in a civilian or residential environment. That's 70's enough for me. Plus the starting weapons and military tech is all late 70's and early 80's gear. I can live with that.

Edited by RavenX

Sorry for the double post and also more on topic:

Geoscape: I miss the lights being on the parts of the world currently in the dark/night. I think it would be much better on the geoscape if you put those back. That's just my opinion though.

Maybe put some 70's styles cars on the maps where you're in a civilian or residential environment. That's 70's enough for me.

Oh dear. Raven X hasn't seen the 70's Disco Base Facility that's in the asset files. Mousing over it changes the sound track to the Sugarhill Gang. :)

Sorry for the double post and also more on topic:

Geoscape: I miss the lights being on the parts of the world currently in the dark/night. I think it would be much better on the geoscape if you put those back. That's just my opinion though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they were never there in the first place were they?

Can't put them back if that is the case.

of for the love of.... Here I am, in the 1970s psychically projecting my thoughts onto the futuristic communications network of the internet as you know it. Post after post I beam decades beyond the curvature of space time. Then I used even more psychic energy to dig up a map you could relate to, only to get criticised for it. Some people...

• 3 months later...

I've a question:

How well have you tried to futureproof the new UI for resolutions much bigger than 1080p? I know desktop resolutions aren't improving as much as they could, due to manufacturers' focus on mobile devices, but new bigger resolutions are regardless coming. Right now, I'm using 2560x1440 as my desktop resolution and at times the old UI is very horrible on it. Have you put any effort into making the new UI scale on resolutions like that and even higher?