I love it.

I remember the eerie, spacey soundtrack to the original game and while it is definitely a different style it built suspense.

The Firaxis XCOM is a game that I love but it's music is totally cheesy, campy, action film music.

The music in Xenonauts is suspenseful like the original but much more traditional at the same time. I love it. It's not as spacey but it reminds me of a horror movie.

I remember watching the WTF is Xenonauts video a long time ago and they mentioned it is the guy behind the Amnesia soundtrack as well.

Great choice getting that guy.

I love the game and the music really goes great with the artwork and sound effects.

Extremely suspenseful and very awesome.

Was thinking that the combat music in the test mission fit great. It has that same plodding dumdumdumdumdum synth pad feel as the original X-COM, but segues into some orchestral arrangements. By the time it loops back it feels refreshing but it all works as a contiguous whole.

Was thinking that the combat music in the test mission fit great. It has that same plodding dumdumdumdumdum synth pad feel as the original X-COM, but segues into some orchestral arrangements. By the time it loops back it feels refreshing but it all works as a contiguous whole.

I completely agree! I think you worded it better than I did.

I just think it's neat that the music is modernized but still suspenseful and somewhat like the original.

They did a great job.

Thank you for you nice feedback. I'm glad you like the music.

However the person behind the sound effects is Tapio Liukkonen, that also worked on Amnesia (and did a terrific job). I did the music for Xenonauts, but didn't have anything to do with Amnesia. ;-)

I hope you will like the upcoming music for Xenonauts.

It is a shame that we won't be able to have a Xenonauts OST

Actually you can - copy all oggs(but you need only six big ones) from sound folder to some "xenonaut ost" folder and now you have full xenonauts ost here( extended edition including bonus interceptor radio chat )

Edited by zzz1010

Thank you for you nice feedback. I'm glad you like the music.

However the person behind the sound effects is Tapio Liukkonen, that also worked on Amnesia (and did a terrific job). I did the music for Xenonauts, but didn't have anything to do with Amnesia. ;-)

I hope you will like the upcoming music for Xenonauts.

Wow! I am so glad you saw this post then.

It is very impressive stuff. You did a great job of keeping the atmosphere of the old game without it being that cheesy ominous ringing.

It's just as eerie and sets up the atmosphere but is actually easier on the ears than the original in my opinion.

Thanks for making it so great!

It is a shame that we won't be able to have a Xenonauts OST, but what can you do?

You will be able to have the OST once the game is released. I will probably do a free OST (the music currently in-game) and a full version with the older music, unused music, etc. At a low cost. Not sure what i will do yet. I would love to make a hard cover CD and all. But it costs money, and i'm not sure how many people would be interested in that. ;-)

Thanks for your support. I've been working with Chris for almost three years now. This project is very close to my heart. I'm glad the work pleases you.

CD's, or anything that would have to be shipped is too much of a hassle, but I'd definitley pay to have the full OST in a digital format.

Yes indeed. It gets complicated. But time will tell. Digital OST via Bandcamp will be the start. BUt honetsly, i'd rather compose the music for another cool game, than dealing will selling

just noticed it was on the kickstarter rewards for those people who went for that.

Perhaps if the $5000 reward tier has been "Aleksi plays the soundtrack to you in the venue of your choice" it would have got more hits than having lunch with Chris? :)

He he; yeah. That would be fun. ;-)

But it would be nice to have a kickstarter with like: get to this amount of money, and have a real ensemble play the music. Something like that. I would love extra budget to record real instruments. I actually did it for Xenonauts, on a test base (with strings). Didn't turn out like i wanted, but on the long term, i really want to get rid of samples more and more.

Xenonauts is really a problem though, not too many acoustic instruments are involved.

Yesterday I was just thinking the same "This music is excellent". There's geomusic2.ogg, which is brilliant, as an IDM veteran I think all those Autechre etc. lovers would like it.

It's the darkness of the music, that fits with the game very well.

Will there be more ingame music, e.g. for Geoscape?

I was thinking also about a concept like the Software Soundsense, which is designed for Dwarf Fortress, but in theory would work with other software as well. That way you can have it play whatever music files you wish. DF writes game events permanently to a logfile. You tell Soundsense where the logfile resides and it monitors it. At every new event it reacts and plays sound. Parsing is per Regex templates, and it plays music with a probablity system.

just noticed it was on the kickstarter rewards for those people who went for that.

Perhaps if the $5000 reward tier has been "Aleksi plays the soundtrack to you in the venue of your choice" it would have got more hits than having lunch with Chris? :)

I hate this "rich patron gets his toes licked" side of Kickstarter. Yeah I know, that's the way it works.

Edited by centiles

Yesterday I was just thinking the same "This music is excellent". There's geomusic2.ogg, which is brilliant, as an IDM veteran I think all those Autechre etc. lovers would like it.

It's the darkness of the music, that fits with the game very well.

Will there be more ingame music, e.g. for Geoscape?

I was thinking also about a concept like the Software Soundsense, which is designed for Dwarf Fortress, but in theory would work with other software as well. That way you can have it play whatever music files you wish. DF writes game events permanently to a logfile. You tell Soundsense where the logfile resides and it monitors it. At every new event it reacts and plays sound. Parsing is per Regex templates, and it plays music with a probablity system.

I hate this "rich patron gets his toes licked" side of Kickstarter. Yeah I know, that's the way it works.

Thanks. There is going to be more music. Geoscape will have 3. I'll fight for a 4th one. We'll see how that goes.

Music won't be used as "events". Perhaps in a future game, i agree it can be nice. But somehow complicated to put in use, and doesn't always give the desired effect.

I agree with the kickstarter. But i must say i'm impressed with this new way how getting a boost to your projects.

And don't worry, i won't play half naked in your living room. ;-)