What version am I playing?

Er ... help, please.

I use Desura. Maybe I should stop right there?

I load the game and it says v 17, update date 22/10. Fair enough, I know the load screen for 17.1 hasn't been updated.

BUT

I understood that v 17 had an alien base bug i.e. that you could only get to the entrance area (a grey square) and get no further into the base, hence 17.1. That is my problem, so I must have v 17 right? In fact, the update blurb on Desura says the update to v 17.1 was on the 24/10 and so I think/should expect to see the load screen show this? Or not, because Chris said this wasn't being updated.

Furthermore, the farm tactical screen is empty save for me and the aliens. This therefore means I am in v 17.1.

So ....

why can't I clear out these bloody alien bases?

And where are the save games kept? Just in case I end up having to reinstall the game yet again because when this happens the save games get mulched and I have started to really get into the game now (again): I'd like to keep backups like wot we had to with the original X-Com games.

I have tried to force an update via Desura, but nothing changes. Again leaving me thinking that I'm playing 17.1.

Ta.