Does levelsetup_quickbattle.xml not control quick battles?

xcorps

I read the wiki and changed the levelsetup_quickbattle.xml to the following:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<LevelSetup>

<Map tileset="town">

<!--<Map tileset="alienbase" mapname="test_small_sebillian" />-->

<!--<SpawnTarget dropshipType="airplane.human.shrike" ufoType="airplane.alien.battleship.caesan" />-->

<Aliens>

<Alien name="AI 1" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 2" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 3" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 4" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 5" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="offensive" />

<Alien name="AI 6" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="offensive" iskilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 7" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="defensive" iskilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 8" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="offensive" iskilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 9" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="offensive" iskilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 10" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="offensive" iskilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 11" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 12" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 13" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 14" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 15" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="offensive" />

<Alien name="AI 16" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="offensive" />

<Alien name="AI 17" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="defensive" />

<Alien name="AI 18" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="offensive" />

<Alien name="AI 19" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="offensive" />

<Alien name="AI 20" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="offensive" />

</Aliens>

</LevelSetup>

But it still only spawns 3 aliens along with a few civilians and friendly soldiers, and xeno's spawn in a chinook.

Help please?

I read the wiki and changed the levelsetup_quickbattle.xml to the following:

But it still only spawns 3 aliens along with a few civilians and friendly soldiers, and xeno's spawn in a chinook.

Help please?

The <!--> tags indicate that the maps are commented out.

I think you need to set a specific map for the part where you state that it is a town map.

Does it load up the map you want it to?

That town map seems to be a little odd so the problem might be down to that.

To start with you would need to delete <Map tileset="town"> and remove the <!-- flags from the maps you want to test.

It should look like:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<LevelSetup>

<Map tileset="alienbase" mapname="test_small_sebillian" />

<SpawnTarget dropshipType="airplane.human.shrike" ufoType="airplane.alien.battleship.caesan" />

The Shrike graphics are not currently in game as far as I know.

If that is the case then the spawn point is probably using the default Chinook.

Another issue could be that the level you are trying to load appears to have no spawn points with the names you are using for spawntarget which could be causing confusion.

There are a lot of variables that could be individually or collectively causing a problem.

Your best bet might be to load up a basic crash site map and try your spawn numbers on that to see if it still fails to adjust properly.

What was causing your problem with the spawns?

Might be useful information for others who are messing with the same things.

*edit* I wrote the wiki sections about using levelsetup_quickbattle to test maps so be nice to hear if I got any of it wrong or if it can be made clearer.

Of course it is a wiki so you can always alter it yourself if you find anything interesting ;)

Edited by Gauddlike

I don't know, really. I just followed your instructions and the spawns worked. I think removing town did it. I started getting farm maps with lots of aliens.

Here's what I have now.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<LevelSetup>

<!--<Map tileset="alienbase" mapname="test_small_sebillian" />-->

<!--<SpawnTarget dropshipType="airplane.human.chinook" ufoType="airplane.alien.battleship.caesan" />-->

<Aliens>

<Alien name="AI 2" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 3" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 4" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 5" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 6" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" iskilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 7" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 8" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 9" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 10" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 11" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 12" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>

</Aliens>

</LevelSetup>

When I get a chance this evening I'm going to put in other maps

If you leave the <!-- and --> around any part of the file the game will not read that section.

At the moment you are probably just getting a random map each time because the file doesn't direct the game towards any specific tileset or level.

Good for varied quick battles though.

Gaud, need some more help if you don't mind.

The following xml should load a level I called mark_farm_test.

I used the level editor to create a 60x60 map with spawns that I think match what's in the xml. The only submaps are the spawns and stone _20x20. Default tile is farm/ground/grassfield/grassfieldF-00-00, so I'm expecting to see a map with nothing but grass and the submap on it.

The issue is that the game loads random maps from the Farm tileset.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<LevelSetup>

<Map tileset="Farm" mapname="mark_farm_test" />

<SpawnTarget dropshipType="airplane.human.chinook" ufoType="airplane.alien.corvette" />

<Aliens>

<Alien name="AI 4" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 5" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 6" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" iskilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 7" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 8" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 9" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 10" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />

<Alien name="AI 11" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>

<Alien name="AI 12" race="Caesan" rank="guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>

</Aliens>

</LevelSetup>

Few quick checks.

Does the level you want to load have the spawns you are requesting?

It needs a Chinook and a Corvette (not sure how it decides between a crashed or landed one in quick battle).

Is the mark_farm_test level in the right place?

If that is the case try adding more submaps, the game may not like generating empty levels.

I deleted the maplevel and started from scratch. I'm thinking that when I was making earlier edits I did something to corrupt the file. (I was getting CTD's when trying to load the map..I started removing stuff in steps trying to find the CTD and then I ran into the random map probem).

This solved the problem and I am now getting what I expect to see.

Thanks for your attention.

Oh, it loads levels with no submaps just fine.