I really didn't want to have to do this, but I'm uploading a new build to Desura today. The dev version of the game is not having all the awful farm crashes the public version of the game is and I just can't seem to fix up the V16 assets to not crash all the time. Therefore, I've compiled a whole new build in the hope the game will now be stable.

Build V17 is awaiting authorisation on Desura as we speak. There are no major changes except a whole load more alien sprites have been added to the game. These were cut out of previous versions to save file number and file size but it may be that some of these missing sprites were causing the crash. Thus, I've left them in this time around. There's also a few sprites for the Xenonauts with alien weapons now, but I'll discuss that in the next update.

There are a few small amendments in the code for the overdamage mechanics but they've not been tested properly yet and may well not work, as they've not been fully implemented. This is why I don't like releasing builds like this, but the stability issues are forcing my hand.

Proper update with beta plans etc will follow shortly, but I don't want to be chatting about that while the public build is still unplayable. Once you download it, let me know if you're still getting crashes. If it is stable, we'll port it across to Mac and Linux.

EDIT - gah, more bugs. Right, patch here to bring the game up to V17.1. It disables AI and civilians on the Farm tileset and it fixes the starting tech and alien base bugs. That should leave the game stable. Please test it and let me know, and I'll update Desura to V17.1 if it works to fix the crashes.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26290309/V17.1%20patch.exe

I know you didn't want to have to resort to this Chris, but seriously, thank you. XCOM:EU wasn't scratching the itch for Turn-Based Tactical Alien Shooting that I've had for a while now, and I just don't have the time anymore to acclimate to the graphics and clunky controls of X-Com:UFOD. Hopefully this release will finally be stable for me and I can do something to get my fill from Xenonauts.

Ok I've installed and started a new game (normal mode, non ironman).

New game seems to start with multiple alien techs researchable and laser pistols build-able (although no materials to actually do it).

My first contact was an alien base.

[edit] An unplayable alien base with the deployment tile disconnected making movement from it impossible.

[edit] Wiped old saves and prefs to eliminate that being the cause. New game issues persist.

Edited by Gribbstar

Ran into same Alien Base thing as Gribbstar. Not a biggy for me, I'd never even been able to play long enough to see one before this patch. Only one CTD so far, tried to decommission an F-17 and then short hang (3-5 seconds) followed by the crash. Other than those, no major problems, just minor gripes that are of the "They'll certainly fix that later, it's not important right now" variety.

Edit: And plenty of farm-maps with invisi-civvies vaulting over junk that didn't trip CTD's.

Since I am lazy(ish) , if you have V16.1 or 16.5 I made patches...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/px48nnlmrcqzzaj/0X8yhxdxvL

V165_V17.exe - 16.5 to 17

V161_V17.exe - 16.1 to 17

UTTERLY NOT supported by Chris.. but I need the smaller size for use at a different location...so figured I would share (my mom would be proud!)

[edit] I'll add these to my webhost when I am somewhere I allowed access :D

Edited by tass

Starting with strange research options is due to the file: \assets\scripts\_basebuilt.lua having some initial values for some alien tech as well as various Laser tech being unlocked.

UnlockKnowledge( "airplane.human.f17" );UnlockKnowledge( "airplane.human.chinook" );UnlockKnowledge( "AV.AUTOCANNON" );UnlockKnowledge( "AV.SIDEWINDER" );UnlockKnowledge( "AV.AVALANCHE" );UnlockKnowledge( "VEHICLE.HUNTER" );UnlockKnowledge( "Event.IcelandIncident" );UnlockKnowledge( "VEHICLE.HUNTER" );UnlockKnowledge( "VV.MACHINEGUN" );UnlockKnowledge( "weapon.ballistics" );UnlockKnowledge( "weapon.rifle" );UnlockResearch( "Researches.AlienInvasion" );UnlockResearch( "Researches.HeavyLasers" );StockItemForFirstBase( "Items.Alenium", 3 );StockItemForFirstBase( "Items.Alienalloys", 4 );StockItemForFirstBase( "Items.AlienPowerSource", 1 );StockItemForFirstBase( "weapon.AlienPlasmaRifle", 1 );StockItemForFirstBase( "weapon.AlienPlasmaPistol", 1 );UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.Laserpistol" );BuildAlienBase( 3853, 1600 );--UnlockFinalMission();

Previously the game used:

UnlockKnowledge( "airplane.human.f17" );UnlockKnowledge( "airplane.human.chinook" );UnlockKnowledge( "AV.AUTOCANNON" );UnlockKnowledge( "AV.SIDEWINDER" );UnlockKnowledge( "AV.AVALANCHE" );UnlockKnowledge( "VEHICLE.HUNTER" );UnlockKnowledge( "Event.IcelandIncident" );UnlockKnowledge( "VEHICLE.HUNTER" );UnlockKnowledge( "VV.MACHINEGUN" );UnlockKnowledge( "weapon.ballistics" );UnlockKnowledge( "weapon.rifle" );UnlockResearch( "Researches.AlienInvasion" );--BuildAlienBase( 3853, 1600 );--UnlockFinalMission();

Thanks for the update! My report on a Win7pro64 system:

• Selecting the soldiers screen for the first time pops up the ground mission inventory screen (known since v16.x)
  • Alien Base bug like described some posts above (known since v16.x)
  • More items researchable on start (v17) - btw, I like it :)
  • Second mission, first farm map: CTD on first hidden moves round

I'm having bad luck on crash sites so have barely seen any farm maps. The couple I did play did not crash and I don't recall any invisi-civies. Was a very small sample though as they were probably 2 turns tops. Continuing testing.

However I just experienced a new crash (for me anyway). My Hunter was destroyed by a Sebillian plasma rifle on a desert crash site map at which time the game hard locked and I had to kill the process.