a modest proposal

irdr

Hey dudes what's up, it might surprise you to learn that this thread is not a request for someone else to make a mod for me - actually what I want to do is espouse the delights of text files

Basically, I like Doom, and when you download a Doom mod you also (generally) get a text file just like the one on this page. Basically the keepers of the largest Doom mod repository insist you include one of those things if you wanna upload your mod to their FTP site, which you do because it's the biggest repository of Doom mods and that's where you go when you wanna get a Doom mod that wasn't made by stupid gross furries

Anyway Xenonauts doesn't have a centralised repo like /idgames but good quality text files are still heaps useful to the end user as they provide useful info like eg. what the hell you're supposed to do with whatever's inside the mod archive

I recall for example trying to mod Skyrim and learning that I had to edit some INI or other to enable the mod selection dialogue in the launcher; that's some shit that could have gone in the mod's text file but the author only deigned to list his website address in the provided txt (maybe he was a stupid furry??)

That shit will also be a big help when I find that shit again in like 5 years and I'm like dude wtf is this shit supposed to be, especially when the modder inevitably hasn't paid his hosting fees??

Anyway I ripped off the Doom txt hard (since why mess w something that's already awesome?) and came up with this crap:

This TXT describes a mod for the game Xenonauts by Goldhawk Interactive: http://www.xenonauts.com.**Vital StatisticsMod Name:Filename:Intended Xenonauts Version:Previous Mod Versions:Author:Email Contact:Author Website:Additional Credits:.**About the ModFull Mod Description:Replacement Content: 			Y (back up your files!) / N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)New Content:Graphics? 			  			Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Sounds? 			  			Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)New Weapons/Equipment/Units? 	Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Maps? 							Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Tactical Gameplay Modified? 	Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Strategic Gameplay Modified? 	Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Mod Requirements:.**Installation Instructions(REWRITE IF APPLICABLE)Extract the contents of this file to 'My Documents/Xenonauts/modding/<mod folder>'. Create new folders if necessary. Start Xenonauts; when the launcher appears, click on 'Options'.Use the Game Mods drop-down box to select the mod. Click on '<< Back to Menu'.Start a game of Xenonauts; enjoy your new content!.**ConstructionBase:							From scratch / From base Xenonauts files / <List base mods here> (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Build Time:Known Bugs:Xenonauts Versions Tested:.**Licence/Copyright DetailsAuthors (MAY/may NOT) use the contents of this file as a base formodification or reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.(delete one of these two paragraphs:)You may NOT distribute this file in any format.You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, withno modifications.  You may distribute this file in any electronicformat (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.  I have received permission from the original authors of anymodified or included content in this file to allow further distribution..**Where to get the file that this text file describesWeb sites:FTP sites:

Old versions (not v interesting but I am a compulsive archiver):

This TXT describes a mod for the game Xenonauts by Goldhawk Interactive: http://www.xenonauts.com.**Vital StatisticsMod Name:Filename:Intended Xenonauts Version:Previous Mod Versions:Author:Email Contact:Author Website:Other Files by Author:Additional Credits:.**About the ModFull Mod Description:Replacement Content: 			Y (back up your files!) / N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)New Content:Graphics? 			  			Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Sounds? 			  			Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)New Weapons/Equipment/Units? 	Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Maps? 							Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Tactical Gameplay Modified? 	Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Strategic Gameplay Modified? 	Y/N (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Mod Requirements:.**Installation Instructions(REWRITE IF APPLICABLE)Extract the contents of this file to 'My Documents/Xenonauts/modding/<mod folder>'. Create new folders if necessary. Start Xenonauts; when the launcher appears, click on 'Options'.Use the Game Mods drop-down box to select the mod. Click on '<< Back to Menu'.Start a game of Xenonauts; enjoy your new content!.**ConstructionBase:							From scratch / From base Xenonauts files / <List base mods here> (DELETE AS APPLICABLE)Build Time:Known Bugs:Xenonauts Versions Tested:.**Licence/Copyright DetailsAuthors (MAY/may NOT) use the contents of this file as a base formodification or reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.(delete one of these two paragraphs:)You may NOT distribute this file in any format.You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, withno modifications.  You may distribute this file in any electronicformat (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.  I have received permission from the original authors of anymodified or included content in this file to allow further distribution..**Where to get the file that this text file describesWeb sites:FTP sites:

Obviously it needs some work, like a proper licence section that isn't just cp'd from the Doom one plus some changes for clarity and maybe I missed out some potential content types but if some newb like me or my peers dl'ed the file they wouldn't be too confused about what the hell's in it and what they should do with it

So would any prospective modders use something like this or am I just a supertard who is overreaching his boundaries? If I don't totally suck and the proposed format isn't totally irredeemable what should be added or clarified? Should I die in a fire? I dunno so many questions

PS. if anyone wants to eat some babies w me send me a PM, I'm planning on having a couple on thursday and will probably have a drumstick or two spare (they're big ones)

Edited by irdr

Personally I wouldn't bother; it's pretty much there so if someone likes one mod by any given author they can check out the rest. Obv I can't really stop other people from doing stuff like that though

Thinking about it now it's probably redundant without a central file repo since if you want to check out any given author's other mods you'll have to hit up their website/this forum anyway, so that line should probably just be removed

Also thanks for taking an interest dude I appreciate it

Edited by irdr

I would assume the mod scene is a bit dead because the game has not been released yet.

The files we have access to are not yet complete so any mods would quickly become outdated and potentially broken.

I was not suggesting that Xenolith would enforce some kind of standardisation of mods, I was pointing people who were interested towards the existing post following your comment that a central location for mods would be useful.