[V8.2 Ground Combat] Hunter LOF/S Issue

Again, my search was avid and i couldnt find anything on this.

It seems the Hunter has some kind of 'aura' around it that blocks the operatives L.O.S.

Look at this:

HUNTERLOS2.jpg

To look at it, it looks like a reasonably clear L.O.S. and now ill move the hunter to one side:

HUNTERLOS3.jpg

and the shot opens up, yet if i now move the target cursor to the square just adjacent and behind the alien:

HUNTERLOS4.jpg

the L.O.S. closes again - although by looking at the screen it looks like a reasonably clear shot.

This is easy to replicate.

Apologies if this has already come up.

HUNTERLOS2.jpg

HUNTERLOS3.jpg

HUNTERLOS4.jpg

HUNTERLOS2.thumb.jpg.2966d5badbe14ede3e6

HUNTERLOS3.thumb.jpg.7023dba0595522c5051

HUNTERLOS4.thumb.jpg.9e129b23d54034927f8

This hasn't come up before. Odd though, the first one it looks like the shot would be blocked by the front of the Hunter, but not for the third one...

Hard to tell though, but any direct-line shot path that crosses over the 'footprint' of the vehicle will be blocked.

I actually seen this issue from loads of angles and some a even more severe than what can be seen in my third capture above.

This became obvious to me on a mission where there were 2 aliens just outside the rear doors of then Chinook. I moved Hunter just outside and dropped one alien, but missed the other, at which point the Hunter was out of AP. It was when i had to move my operatives out and around the hunter when I began to get confused as to why none them could get a shot on the alien, the next turn tried to move the Hunter out of the way, but it was shot down on the move. This left only 2 operatives with a shot on target, when by looking at the screen - at least 5 should have had a shot. I wish I had the screeenshots to show this. Sorry.

These screens kinda illustrates the problem with square vehicles. If you compare the area they fill to the diamond selection box (just mouseover them), when they're turned on any of the N,E,S,W facings instead of a diagonal one, they basically don't fill their box properly because of the shape of the unit. But they do fill it completely in game terms, so that's where the discrepancy arises.

But I can't really think of any way around this - unless we're actually going to make the vehicle smaller in game terms when it turns on the spot...any ideas?

Not sure. Miss chances for certain sections of the unit? Having some kind of halo around any unit in the shot-path so you can tell why its blocked?

But having it actually become smaller (narrower?) when it turns would probably work, if possibly creating some strange bugs.

The game logic for the problem is sound, after all just rotating won't change the position of the unit even if it looks that way.

I can only see two ways around this.

1. like you said make the unit smaller, however this problem will be most apparent with anything 3 * X. at 2 * X the problem will be there but not so apparent.

2. Change the Unit Sprite to rotating turrets and not moving the whole unit. (at least on the diagonal line) which might look weird but would fix the problem

While the LOS on this shot might be expected to be closed:

HUNTERLOSX.jpg

In this instance:

HUNTERLOSY.jpg

It could be said that the operative is merely using the edge of the Hunter as cover and 'in reality' should be able to keep clear LOS to the target despite it being beyond the front end of the Hunter. Also, once the Hunter dies it is then necessary to continue moving all soldiers out and around the Hunter in order to acquire a shot on the targets and thus exposing them to reaction fire.

I'm sure all of this is already realised and I don't mean to keep pointing out the obvious, but this will impact heavily on the gamers choice to continue using Hunters should the be no remedy.

HUNTERLOSC.jpg

HUNTERLOSC.jpg

HUNTERLOSX.jpg

HUNTERLOSY.jpg

HUNTERLOSC.thumb.jpg.8b15ba47bfd9c9d4012

HUNTERLOSX.thumb.jpg.0ed4277c931dc543cd0

HUNTERLOSY.thumb.jpg.5bf2e005a3d47d6c517

Oh and sorry for using shots that have the load menu screen in the background. I couldn't be bothered to set up another scenario. And please ignore the file HUNTERLOSC. It's irrelevant.

It'd cause issues because people would walk troops into those spaces and then turn it or something.

Yes, but surely if you did move an operative into the area the area that it would ordinarily fill and then the player attempted to turn the Hunter, it would just show a RED movement path, telling the player it is impossible for the Hunter to turn it in that direction.

Yes, but surely if you did move an operative into the area the area that it would ordinarily fill and then the player attempted to turn the Hunter, it would just show a RED movement path, telling the player it is impossible for the Hunter to turn it in that direction.

Wouldn't be very intuitive, unfortunately.

I think in the case of the two screenshots you just posted up, the LOS block in place should only be 50% even if the Hunter fills its tile completely. The soldier can still see half of the alien.

I do wonder if it'd be possible to set the stopping chance for each of the hunter tiles seperately, so maybe the edge tiles would only have a 50-60% stopping chance while the middle tiles would have 100%. That would further ease the issue too - although you'd end up hitting your own tank more often with that system.