Homeworld style Story Expositions?

Hi there guys, excited to finally join your forum as a KickStarter backer + long-time stalker.

(Yes I was waiting for a Kickstart or beta before ordering)

But anyways, I do vaguely recall that you guys were planning on implementing Homeworld style images to convey the story to us gamers?

Is this still true?

Would be so awesome if we had it and also images for completed research items :)

We looked at the Homeworld style intro and then I realised it wouldn't work for two reasons - firstly, the artist we were planning to use for it didn't have the availability we needed for it. Secondly, the amount of work that went into the Kickstarter video was insane so I think an actual cinematic would be far more effort. That's probably work I should be putting into getting the game finished instead!

Well it would be just a sadly missed opportunity. I mean what, 15years since the original XCOM/EU and the presentation of the story does not receive any updates? Not to mention that Xenonauts has an awesome setting during the Cold War!

Even like Dragon Age ending scenes (plain text and a still image) would be AWESOME :)

I must ask though, how is the story in Xenonauts going to be presented? Just blobs of text as research is completed and a MISSION COMPLETE screen at the end?

I really think that we need a little bit of story included in the game, even if it is just text over still images. There needs to be some kind of scene setting at the beginning of the game, and then occasional updates throughout the course (to accompany big research milestones) followed by a conclusion at the end of the game (rather than just 'You Won').

Obviously it's never going to match XCom EU, but just being dropped straight into the Geoscape to position your first base with no explanation or background is very jarring, in my opinion anyway. I feel I need some kind of setting and back story to feel involved with the whole thing.

I really think that we need a little bit of story included in the game, even if it is just text over still images. There needs to be some kind of scene setting at the beginning of the game, and then occasional updates throughout the course (to accompany big research milestones) followed by a conclusion at the end of the game (rather than just 'You Won').

Obviously it's never going to match XCom EU, but just being dropped straight into the Geoscape to position your first base with no explanation or background is very jarring, in my opinion anyway. I feel I need some kind of setting and back story to feel involved with the whole thing.

Donkey makes a good point. Though Xcom EU has made the story more "approachable" via cutscenes etc, Xenonauts must be on par with XCOM still images right? ;)

i think you need some kind of introduction to not much just. something like a high ranking guy gets a phone call saying there are unknowns incoming, and he says launch the fighters and a little cut scene of fighters vs ufo chase the ufo wins and then the high ranking guy gets a phone call form the Xenonauts saying we are your only hope. and then it could cut to the game so you get the feeling that your the only one who can turn the tide

What about a 1950s Iceland incident intro. A pic of a crashed ship, followed up by one of the doomed ground assault, with a final one showing the Iceland detonation... then one showing them in orbit as per the alien invasion screen.

that would show the air and ground superiority, the ineffectiveness of local forces, the dismal return in fighting one of them and then a screen showing some of the 3000 to prettyy much fill you in on your chances. Lots of action there too to grab folk's attentions.

Didn't UFO Extraterrestrials do that whole losing airbattle as intro already? Personally I'm not sure I'd find a cutscene that inspiring. :( (I'd just end up expecting more cutscenes in the game) A series of stills and text could probably be used to the same effect and tell even more story. You'd probably should tie back to the Iceland incident somehow somewhere.... How is that part going to be presented btw? IS that the intro?

Edit: Thothkins sneakily posted a good point when I wasn't looking :P

Edited by Gorlom

No, it wasn't inspiring when I was thinking about it either :) It was definitely a "look at the huge odds we're facing" sort of thing.

I can't remember the opening for UFO ET. Or the end for that matter :) Wasn't it some sort of encounter in space? You could always go with:-

Screen of scientist detecting approaching armada

Screen of 3000 alien ships appearing in orbit

Screen of first UFO shot down by Xenonauts

That's a touch more uplifting.

Didn't UFO Extraterrestrials do that whole losing airbattle as intro already? Personally I'm not sure I'd find a cutscene that inspiring. :( (I'd just end up expecting more cutscenes in the game) A series of stills and text could probably be used to the same effect and tell even more story. You'd probably should tie back to the Iceland incident somehow somewhere.... How is that part going to be presented btw? IS that the intro?

That is what Im trying to say. XCOM had still images with text. Surely we can't be missing this in the final product?

I guess it all comes down to what's in the kitty for it. Put it another way, I'd rather have more functionality in the game than an intro and final little movie. As ricemuncher says though, some static images with text you would have thought would be in the realms of possibility. Particularly as it's quite a bit simpler than a Homeworld type thing as was originally hinted at.

The novella is on the cusp of being here! It's taken a little bit of time, but that's somewhat intentional. Very much like Goldhawk's mindset with Xenonauts, I believe in taking my time to make sure something's right. XCD recently got reviewed by Chris, some last-minute tweaks are going in (I expect them to be finished within a week), and then it goes to beta. So what's "beta" for a book? Pretty much what it is for a video game. Some fans have been selected to read it and give me their input. It's all part of quality control. This novella can't just be good to me. It has to be acceptable to Chris, respectful of the source material, and enjoyable by the fan base. This is how you ensure something is done the right way and not just the way you think is best.

But yes, we are very, very, very close. Beta for a book is a very fast process. Premium Preorders could be reading this by the end of the month.