Changing Ranks

ElTee

Anyone know how to do this?

All I know is that you have the image files for them at xenonauts\assets\rankimages

No idea what the .rar file is for.

Can you actually have more than 8 ranks? For the shorthand rank names, is there a character limit?

You can use less ranks because the rank is still there.

All you are doing is saying that no one can be that rank.

The game is probably hard coded for the original number of ranks so more can't be added without coding them.

You could try adding more and getting someone promoted up to that high rank to see if it works.

From looking at gameconfig.xml and string.xml, it does look hardcoded, but I'm not up to par with XML, so am not sure if the name of the ranks (ie <Corporal>) inside the <soldierranks> tag are defining the elements or not.

Even if they are, I haven't found out where the items in strings.xml (ie, rank.Corporal) are defined.

I think this is one that's going to need a dev response.

Shame. Atm the modded rank structure I use is:

Private (Pvt): Lowest rank in the Xenonauts.

Private First Class (PFC): Second lowest rank, for soldiers who completed training. In desperate cases, they may be Privates who experienced enough combat to be promoted.

Lance Corporal (LCpl): Can serve as Fireteam leader.

Corporal (Cpl): Fireteam leader but can also serve as the Squad/weapon section leader.

Sergeant (Sgt): Squad/weapon section leader.

Staff Sergeant (SSgt): Senior advisor to Lt, can act as platoon commander in his and the 1stSgts' absence.

First Sergant (1stSgt): Senior advisor to Lt, can act as platoon commander in his absence.

Lieutenant (Lt): Commander of the platoon.

I was hoping to add one or two more ranks.

From looking at gameconfig.xml and string.xml, it does look hardcoded, but I'm not up to par with XML, so am not sure if the name of the ranks (ie <Corporal>) inside the <soldierranks> tag are defining the elements or not.

Even if they are, I haven't found out where the items in strings.xml (ie, rank.Corporal) are defined.

I think this is one that's going to need a dev response.

The 8 tags for ranks are hard-coded, so tags on gameconfig.xml are not used to define ranks but just to load the minimum rank points needed to have that certain rank.

Buzzles, you sure your search was case insensitive? rank.corporal is defined inside strings.xml, as well as the others!

So ElTee (as Gauddlike already wrote), the answer is no, you can't add ranks to the existing structure, I'm sorry..

Shame. Atm the modded rank structure I use is:

Private (Pvt): Lowest rank in the Xenonauts.

Private First Class (PFC): Second lowest rank, for soldiers who completed training. In desperate cases, they may be Privates who experienced enough combat to be promoted.

Lance Corporal (LCpl): Can serve as Fireteam leader.

Corporal (Cpl): Fireteam leader but can also serve as the Squad/weapon section leader.

Sergeant (Sgt): Squad/weapon section leader.

Staff Sergeant (SSgt): Senior advisor to Lt, can act as platoon commander in his and the 1stSgts' absence.

First Sergant (1stSgt): Senior advisor to Lt, can act as platoon commander in his absence.

Lieutenant (Lt): Commander of the platoon.

I was hoping to add one or two more ranks.

This ranking system is not going to do any good unless you're given the power to promote the soldiers yourself, which soldier to which position, etc...

The way things does now, ranking absolutely have no effect on your squad order and formation. Only an "EXP marker" to see how long your soldiers have lived. Maybe a bit about ranking effect morale, like in the original, but still almost no effect at all.

This ranking system is not going to do any good unless you're given the power to promote the soldiers yourself, which soldier to which position, etc...

The way things does now, ranking absolutely have no effect on your squad order and formation. Only an "EXP marker" to see how long your soldiers have lived. Maybe a bit about ranking effect morale, like in the original, but still almost no effect at all.

Ranking does already give a morale boost, both to the soldier itself and to the soldiers next to him in the ground combat.

I have no idea what made you think I didn't already know that.

Although I am thinking of doing a playthrough where I make soldiers & bases much cheaper BUT constantly buy new soldiers to fill in the organization. :P

Lance Corporals lead fire-teams. Corporals lead fire-teams and squads. Sergeants lead squads. Staff Sgt->Lieutenants 'graduate' out of the squad and end up leading a force of recruits or end up being part of 'elite' squads.

I mucked about with the rank names about 5 builds back :) and also changed the images. Someone had just posted that you're as well calling them space unicorns for all the difference it made, so I had half a dozen My Little Ponies as ranks. :)

Based on what we have currently I'll be lowering the ranks when it's finished too.

Actually, though, elite units don't tend to start their ranks at E-1.

SEALs, for have instance, start at E-4 SO, which is equivalent to Corporal in Army and Marines.

It's difficult to assess how "elite" Xenos are.

For gameplay purposes you have to start low, with nothing, and work your way up.

Realistically an organization as sensitive as Xenonauts would initially get assigned small teams from highly trusted covert operation organizations such as SAD, FOG, GRU, Zenith. Some of these units are all-officer as it is, given the situation, it's safe to assume that the Xenos team would also be.

The problem is, these guys aren't getting any better in physical terms. It's not even Delta Force, it's units that recruit from it. They will gain more skill in dealing with aliens specifically, but they aren't going to learn to run faster or haul more gear, and they don't need to learn not to shoot their buddies whenever someone near gets a scratch.

So the game would get much less interesting in terms of team development.

Actually, though, elite units don't tend to start their ranks at E-1.

SEALs, for have instance, start at E-4 SO, which is equivalent to Corporal in Army and Marines.

It's difficult to assess how "elite" Xenos are.

For gameplay purposes you have to start low, with nothing, and work your way up.

Realistically an organization as sensitive as Xenonauts would initially get assigned small teams from highly trusted covert operation organizations such as SAD, FOG, GRU, Zenith. Some of these units are all-officer as it is, given the situation, it's safe to assume that the Xenos team would also be.

The problem is, these guys aren't getting any better in physical terms. It's not even Delta Force, it's units that recruit from it. They will gain more skill in dealing with aliens specifically, but they aren't going to learn to run faster or haul more gear, and they don't need to learn not to shoot their buddies whenever someone near gets a scratch.

So the game would get much less interesting in terms of team development.

It's a bit late to change things, but not necessarily.

In say, the Dark Heresy RPG, you have Characteristics (Stats), Skills and Talents.

Talents/Skills could be something I can see them gaining in terms of fighting aliens.