Suppression Marker Poll

How much to you want to know about alien suppression?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How much to you want to know about alien suppression?

• Everything - I want a suppression marker and want to know how much AP they've lost or have left
    • Partial - I only want to see a suppression marker, but do not want to know their AP.
    • Nothing - All I want to see is that they have couched down either from taking fire or to use cover.
    • Toggle - I would prefer an option switch to turn the suppression marker and info on and off myself.

Toggle is always the best, no matter what the choises are, aslong as you have a choise it will always be for the better.

Is a toggle for invincibility, no fog of war (black or grey) or starting with endgame tech from the beginning good ideas?

Imo such toggles would send the wrong message to the players, especially the "no fog of war" one. For just being there I think they would reduce peoples enjoyment of the game in the long run.

Is a toggle for invincibility, no fog of war (black or grey) or starting with endgame tech from the beginning good ideas?

Imo such toggles would send the wrong message to the players, especially the "no fog of war" one. For just being there I think they would reduce peoples enjoyment of the game in the long run.

Most strategy games have a ton of play options these days. I don't see a problem with it. After all, if a player wants to "ruin" their game by making too easy or too hard it's their choice. You also have to remember that a beginner or young player might need a little help to get started. I usually play through a game many times with increasing difficulty as I get better. Besides with mods you can drastically change the game already. Putting toggles (checkboxes) in the play options doesn't take a lot of development effort.

mods, cheats and codes are completely different things than toggles StellarRat you can't treat them the same.

Depending on how a game is designed the player is lead to believe it to be played in different manners. It is my opinion that a game with such toggles will play differently for just the toggles being there. even if you play with them off the game will feel different from playing it if they weren't there at all.

Besides not everyone can keep their hands off those game destroyers if they are easily available. I know I can't :P

All I'm advocating is caution. I'm not opposing this particular toggle. I actually voted for toggle here since I expect to not want to use the suppression marker at all, while everyone else see it as a preference.

Yeah... all those toggles.

It's pretty mucha no go, like offering a cookie. Eat it, get fat, but it's so very tempting.

You can't give players all the choices or a lot of them would end up having less fun with the game as they could have.

If anything, make differences with difficulty level. Easiest showing the remaining AP of aliens. That's kinda toggable. You say you want an easy game... you get one.

I went for "nothing" to add that little bit of extra danger to approaching them. When it was introduced I thought the icon was because they wouldn't have any animation for suppression. But as there is, I'm fairly happy with that. I certainly wouldn;t want any more than what's there.

It'd be interesting to see how Oathbreaker votes on this one, going by previous threads.

(Geez, it's been a while since I've posted here!)

I'd personally suggest having either nothing at all, or minimal information, for the aliens. But yeah, naturally I like having toggles for things like this, as some people would rather have no information and be in the dark, (like myself; especially in a game like X-COM!) but others would at least like to see if their suppressing fire has taken affect, which I can respect.

I'm a bit torn on this one. On the one hand... the more information available to player->the more tactical combat is. On the other hand, having less understanding of the alien foes makes them more mysterious & adds to suspense.

My ideal solution wouldn't be a toggle for this kind of information, but for this kind of feedback to become available depending on how far down the research tree you are for that specific unit. After having done an autopsy and captured a live alien of a specific species, it would be nice to have feedback in combat on the health & state of those aliens when you see them (including whether they are supressed or not).

But altogether, I'm more than happy with what we've got now. I chose partial.