Non-DRM Version?

Is Xenonauts going to eventually be released with no DRM whatsoever? I'm interested in supporting this game, but can't do so in good conscience as long as it's tied to a DRM system like Steam or Desura (and, yes, those are DRM systems).

I would just like to have a game I can install on a computer with no internet connection and play without having to log into any sort of account or have to worry about "product activation" whenever I buy a new computer or computer part. Is this going to be possible when the game is released?

(PS: It's hard to search the forums for "drm" when that word is rejected by the forums as being too short to search for :-P )

Here's a quote from the Kickstarter earlier this year, on that exact thing!

Yes - on release we'll have a DRM-free version downloadable on GamersGate, Desura and hopefully via the Humble Store on our own website.

We'll give you the option to download from those places if you'd rather do that than take a Steam key!

but can't do so in good conscience as long as it's tied to a DRM system like Steam or Desura (and, yes, those are DRM systems).

Steam is but Desura isn't. Desura is a "digital distribution platform". You don't need to connect to the internet or log onto the Desura client to play games downloaded through Desura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desura

Unlike many of its competitors, Desura does not impose digital rights management, and Desura employees have commented against its use in the past, recommending that content producers ship without DRM or at least use a CD Key system instead. However, Desura itself is DRM agnostic, and publishers and developers may sell games that require such technologies to be used. Desura will make sure users purchasing these titles are aware of the DRM it ships with and how it works.[2]

A lot of people don't realise that you can play the Desura supplied version without running Desura first.

Just locate the Xenonauts exe and run from there.

You might find it more difficult to install the game without an internet connection though as it is going to be mainly digital distribution.

Maybe one of those distribution methods will download a full installer but I am not familiar with how they all work.