Beta Delay

A few people have been asking me if the beta is arriving today as previously planned. Unfortunately, it is not. This has been known for some time, but unless you're a regular forum-goer and read the other announcement threads, perhaps this is not as obvious as it should be. This post is just a short announcement to ensure everyone is aware of this and can easily find the information if they come looking for it.

There will be a release either tomorrow or Friday which will contain some new features and the first proper incarnation of the AI model, but it will not be a full beta yet. We'll release a more accurate timeline and details of what still needs to be done (and a revised ETA) along with that build too!

I just cancelled my XCOM: Enemy Unknown preorder as I tried the demo and read a few reviews. I realized it is much too streamilined to be satisfactory for me. It's all about you guys now, no pressure! :)

You should definitely give it a chance when it gets cheaper, though. It's all kinds of fun, even though it might not have the same detailed layer as the original UFO:EU or Xenonauts. And, from what I hear, it's still brutal on Classic difficulty and above. Also, the demo really isn't fully representative of the whole game. I tried it, and now that I have the full game, I can only chime in with the choir of people who said so even before the release.

You should definitely give it a chance when it gets cheaper, though. It's all kinds of fun, even though it might not have the same detailed layer as the original UFO:EU or Xenonauts. And, from what I hear, it's still brutal on Classic difficulty and above. Also, the demo really isn't fully representative of the whole game. I tried it, and now that I have the full game, I can only chime in with the choir of people who said so even before the release.

I think I will, good idea. I don't mind a game being easy, but I really like to play the way I want with more degrees of freedom. I'm sure the game is really good in design value and is extremely fun for a lot of people. But I think Xenonauts will fit me better.

It's always nice to have a game like XCOM available for play later. And who knows, maybe there is a mod in the future that make it an absolute must for me. :)

I just cancelled my XCOM: Enemy Unknown preorder as I tried the demo and read a few reviews. I realized it is much too streamilined to be satisfactory for me. It's all about you guys now, no pressure! :)
The streamlining you mention really surprises me. You'd think with all the modern computing power available and faster programming languages/tools/techniques that there would be AT LEAST as many options in a newer version as the old one. I guess that just another sign that all games are being dumbed down for teenagers and the general public. Apparently, game publishers think the general population is, impatient, mostly idiots or don't want to think. I hope that isn't true.

A few people have been asking me if the beta is arriving today as previously planned. Unfortunately, it is not. This has been known for some time, but unless you're a regular forum-goer and read the other announcement threads, perhaps this is not as obvious as it should be. This post is just a short announcement to ensure everyone is aware of this and can easily find the information if they come looking for it.

There will be a release either tomorrow or Friday which will contain some new features and the first proper incarnation of the AI model, but it will not be a full beta yet. We'll release a more accurate timeline and details of what still needs to be done (and a revised ETA) along with that build too!

Dev goes on holiday

Build delayed

WHO'D HAVE THOUGHT

Dev goes on holiday

Build delayed

WHO'D HAVE THOUGHT

Project leader goes on holiday (as any guy deserves, sometimes), the other devs continue to work normally.

v16 delayed a few days, beta delayed because Chris decided that having a premium-alpha phase would be better before going beta.

I think we may need a couple of weeks of sort of alpha-deluxe before we hit beta, because the game will almost certainly be a bit of a broken, unbalanced, buggy mess for the first couple of weeks of "beta". You forumgoers are used to that, but the last thing I want to do is do a big publicity drive and get a load of new customers to try the game and conclude it's terrible. I imagine it'll be markedly better after a few weeks of tweaks and bugfixes.

Enough said.

I'm considering buying the game but I'd very much like to give it a try first. Seeing how there is no demo (or at least i cant seem to find it), my question is. Is beta open for public or only to those that pre-ordered the game?

This is the Kickstarter demo: http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/97473/xenonauts-kickstarter-demo-alpha

Just keep in mind it's very out of date.

ClosetYeti also has LPs of the new builds:

Alpha/Beta access is for pre-orders only.