xenonauts mentioned in xcom gamespy review

I'm not in hurry at all, for one. You do understand that the more time they have, the more work they can do?

Just fingers crossed that the game won't end up simplified and "streamlined" like EU. There already is one streamlined quick flick in the XCOM subgenre - we don't need another one, people are counting on Xeno to give them everything EU failed to.

Seriously, is there any hope this game is finished and released before April 1st, 2013? Talk about sloooow development.

It'll be done when it's done.

I'd rather wait that long for a truly polished game that runs exceptionally rather than a not-so-polished one that's missing a few things because development was rushed.

And you forget that they're a pretty small team (less than 10, if memory serves me correctly).

Also' date=' it's designed to be something that can be completed in a couple of days (casually).[/quote']

Its game designed for "Play it through, then play it again", but I'm kind of miffed off that you said "casually" as I've four failed playthroughs on classic so far(unless you meant casual in same way as roguelikes are casual games) in total of 35 hours :P You shouldn't play the game because you don't like it, but if you for some reason DO play it, play it on classic at least darn it!

I didn't mean "casually" like it's a four letter word! I just meant it's more for the consoler-type on their couch playing a bit before dinner or whatnot. Nothing wrong with that. Not really my kind of thing though. I'm that weird guy everyone knows that can get into a good game and not realize he hasn't eaten or slept until his wife asks him about it :D

I'm not really sure how "play it through, then play it again" applies to it unless you meant just doing so on harder difficulties. Also not really my kind of thing. I'm playing on classic now with a couple of fails so far and it's a bit brutal at times. I really can't see me playing through again on impossible after I beat it though. Don't really see the point. It's pretty much the same thing just with harder/more enemies.

To me "play it through, then play it again" would apply to games like Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, and the like where you have a lot of freedom to do things differently. Even the original X-COM was interesting enough and had enough freedom to warrant additional playthroughs. The new XCOM just feels a bit too shallow and limiting to me to really get into that much.

Hmm, so you only play games multiple times to "100%" them in way of experiencing everything? Fair enough as I'm completionist myself.

I guess better way to explain it would be people playing original game again even after fixing bug and playing it on every difficulty level. Or playing Civilization games. Or roguelikes or score games.*shrugs*

Anyway, I personally wouldn't call new XCOM "shallow"(because if I did, then I would have to call games like Fire Emblem or Advance War or even Chess "shallow" for not having as diverse gameplay like original XCOM game.) however, I can understand people being angry about it as its pretty much completely different game gameplay wise.

Umm, both games are not really unlinear... I mean, invasion escalates in both games and in both games its somewhat up to chance what you get in meanwhile. Ultimately playthroughs game will be similar to each other whether your first terror mission has floaters or sectoids. I do agree that original feels a lot more like sandbox though while in new one you (on classic at least) aren't allowed to lose. XCOM: EU is more random in that you can get months without getting ufo landing mission and then your first one might be large ufo which sucks as you get good resources only from ufos, but enemy lineup goes mostly in same way. In original you are guaranteed to get both landed ufos and ufos to shoot down.

Edited by XenoMask

Exactly.

I'm more into games that give you lots of options and let you use them how you see fit. Just not getting that from XCOM: EU and it's not like I can return it (bought it on Steam) so I'm going to play it through just to feel like I didn't throw $50 in the crapper. Once I'm done I'll probably uninstall it and forget about it.

Maybe if there are some interesting mods or DLC's for it in the future I'll give it another whirl but as it is now I just don't see it having any replay value.

Hmm, so you only play games multiple times to "100%" them in way of experiencing everything?

I'm not sure that is the reason people miss freedom.

Par'Gellen mentioned a good example of Fallout 3 - I'd add, Fallout 1-2 were like that too.

But back to FO3, I started that game, I think, a dozen times, only completed it once, partially at that (without the addon). No two times were - forget "identical". Not even similar.

You can go straight through the vanilla storyline, but the game keeps tempting you with side quests which start a whole new story. Or you can go somewhere else than the nearest city from the get go and have a whole different game. You will never have a 100% completion run. Maybe if you're a basket OCD case, but 99.99% of players don't. You won't visit every place, meet every NPC, see every landmark, find every weapon, do every quest in one playthrough.

Same applied to XCOM: UFO Defense, to lesser extent. Different runs will be somewhat similar, but definitely not identical. You'll have different maps, have to cut your youngsters' teeth on different UFOs and aliens, even the research path isn't identical. And it matters even if you're only going to play the game once. Because then your run is your run, not the same as everyone else's.

Edited by HWP

Exactly.

I'm more into games that give you lots of options and let you use them how you see fit. Just not getting that from XCOM: EU and it's not like I can return it (bought it on Steam) so I'm going to play it through just to feel like I didn't throw $50 in the crapper. Once I'm done I'll probably uninstall it and forget about it.

Maybe if there are some interesting mods or DLC's for it in the future I'll give it another whirl but as it is now I just don't see it having any replay value.

Hmm, do you play on ironman? Anyway, I guess you could play game on all five continents, but not really gonna argue as if its not your type of game then no need to force to play it.

@HWP: Umm, none of my XCOM: EU playthrough have been identical either.(unless you have tutorial on in which case first month is identical, but after that, nope)

And no, thats not reason I assumed people would want to play original game again. Its just... I don't see how this game has less replay value than first game, I've played both of them and I just don't see it. I guess in first game you can get snakemen right away, but its more likely that you get sectoids so playthroughs will be mostly the same... Or are you talking about getting heavy plasma on first month from sectoids?

One thing that I can see is starting location though. In original game different starting locations do change game somewhat(but its mostly roleplaying) like increase chance of what terrain you get and which cities you protect, while in XCOM EU its just about bonuses affecting playthrough since base in africa doesn't mean most of your missions will be in africa because abduction missions are everywhere and ufos are rarer.

Edited by XenoMask

Hmm, do you play on ironman?
I stopped playing on ironman when my sniper died for no apparent reason at the drop zone. His turn ended and when "Alien Activity" message popped up it instantly switched to his death animation. No shots were fired and I ran my guys all over area where he died looking for an alien but there was nothing there.

I like ironman though and force myself to play like that anyway. I only reload if one of my guys gets killed by a bug and even then it's from the start of the entire mission (only place I save).

Wow ._. Thats... Most crappiest bug ever. Only time I got something like that is when I rage quitted game on ironman and loaded save was somehow corrupted so that one of units panicked for some reason and shot another even though that didn't actually happen on that turn(note: Ironman saves at beginning of each turn)