I checked the bug reports threads and many problems refer to v15.1...

However, the download link below, when extracted and run, identifies itself as v14.1 - though the rar file name is v15

http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts/download

file: v15.rarmd5: f5e5c420545625eb6193ee799ebdc29f

Furthermore, there seem to be a few XML fixes out there - chinook and farms, specifically - but there's no compiled list of "recommended downloads" - so one is left to dig through bug reports to (hopefully) find the posts which refer to these fixes.

So, my question is:

How do I get the "most recent release binaries with most recent fixes" without digging through hundreds of forum posts?

Edited by SmeggyGit

Hmm, that's kinda strange. try letting desura verify your files and see if that fixes it. for me, Desura keeps my copy up-to-date and hasn't really given me much trouble so far. unfortunately, you'll have to keep looking at "the work around thread" for in between patch fixes.

I do agree that there should be a locked sticky that's periodically edited listing all the fixes per version. this would help clean up alot of the double posting/bug reports we got on the forums.

Desura doesn't work - it fails repeatedly, and their tech support is non-existent.

Spend time downloading the install file - and I get some useless error message.

edit:

I downloaded v15.rar again, confirmed MD5 and confirmed that it says it's v14.1 - what gives?

Edited by SmeggyGit
confirmation

You're right, this time (probably the fact that Chris isn't here helps it) we have some version fragmentation.

Let's clarify it.

What version do I have?

• For those who download the game from Desura's client, the last version available there is v15.1
  • For those who used standalones downloads (as you did, SmeggyGit), your version can be either v15 or v15.1 (for some reason, desura did update standard preorders to v15.1, while leaving premium to v15). Refer to the archive name to know which version you have, as the version displayed on the launcher is not updated (will show "v14.1").
  • Mac users have to download the standalone as Desura doesn't have a Mac client. Your version is 14.1 because v15.1 for mac hasn't been uploaded yet. (Q: "how long will it take for v15 to arrive on mac branch?"; Giovanni's Answer: "I can't answer that myself, as I'm not the mac porter, sorry. All I know about it is here")

Patches to apply (both highly reccomended before posting bugs!):

• v15 only: to update manually to v15.1, see this post
  • both v15 and v15.1: this hotfix fixes broken farm maps that caused lot of CTDs on ground combat loading

Hope that everything is clear now. Feel free to ask me otherwise :)

Edited by Giovanni
added mac version explanation

Hi everyone, my first post here. I bought the Alpha of Xenonauts a week or so ago and ran into the same difficulties as SmeggyGit. Playing Xenonauts through the Desura client was very unstable with a lot of CTD. The standalone download from Desura is indeed v14.1 which is pretty confusing as the file name states v15.1.

[Post edited after Buzzles response, see below]

Cheers, Matt.

ps. I should also say that since buying the Alpha I have put many hours into playing this game and I think it's terrific. Yes, there are bugs and balance issues (particularly with the number of ufo fighters spawning) but i'm sure these kinks will be ironed out in good time. I just want to thank Chris and all the other devs for producing such a rich and deeply rewarding tactical reworking of xcom. Thanks.

Edited by mattpringle

Hi everyone, my first post here. I bought the Alpha of Xenonauts a week or so ago and ran into the same difficulties as SmeggyGit. Playing Xenonauts through the Desura client was very unstable with a lot of CTD. The standalone download from Desura is indeed v14.1 which confused the hell out of me and it crashed quite a lot too.

[sNIP]

You're slightly confused I think by what the standalone is with regards to Xenonauts.

There's two ways to get Xenonauts:

1) Install Desura, download via their client. The game will happily run without the need to have Desura up and running. You only need to run Desura to download the updates. Once the initial download is done, you only download what you need to update.

The game is actually completely independant of Desura.

2) Download the "standalone" file from Desura's Xenonauts page (NOT the Desura client). You will need to redownload the entire 1GB+ rar/zip file when the game updates, as the file is the complete build of that version.

Your posted solution mearly means you're running the version downloaded via Desura's client on it's own, which tbh I think most of us do anyway. All we do is open up Desura when Chris posts that there's an update.

That's NOT what we mean when we're talking about the standalone.

I'd remove your solution if I were you, as it'll add to the confusion people already have if they start thinking that by bypassing the Desura client that they've got the standalone.

Hi Buzzles,

thanks for the clarification on that, i'll edit my original post now. I was getting more instability issues when playing Xenonauts through the client but it seems that most people use Desura just to apply updates when needed.

I'm still not sure why the standalone downloaded version is 14.1 even though the file name states 15.1.

Cheers,

Matt.

I'm still not sure why the standalone downloaded version is 14.1 even though the file name states 15.1.

If you read my post above, you'll see that version number is the archive name, not the one displayed by the launcher, as by an error it wasn't updated!

Buggy and tech support is non-existent. Direct download is the only way I (and many others) can get Xenonauts to install.

That was why Buzzles used the line you quoted as one of the two possible ways to get Xenonauts.

The highlighted part is to clarify the difference between the Desura client and Xenonauts.

If you read the section numbered as part two you will see he goes on to detail how the other method works also.