Motionless

lukecow

From what I have seen of the game, so far it looks great! just one suggestion, all the combatants are totally stationary when not in use in the battle map, in XCOM that is understandable due to the graphical limitations, however that’s not a problem with Xenonauts unless it’s impossible to do due to coding, what I suggest is a very little bobbing/movement of the gun while it’s in the combatants hands, preferably a up and down movement(must stress only a slight movement). I think it would make huge difference to the overall look. Xenonauts graphics look so good that a combatant looks strange when standing totally motionless.

Er, why?

The game is turn based. Time is stopped until you press "End Turn" or directly order something (and watch the results of that action play out).

If time is stopped, how can the actors be moving, even if only slightly during idle?

I think that having motion in the characters when they're meant to be frozen in time will actually be pretty jarring as it gives the impression that time is passing, which then opens the question "Why isn't this in just real time then?".

Edited by Buzzles

The work involved is the brick wall that all "add this animation plz" requests run into. You have to be able to show that it's justifiable to make sprite sheets for the pose in all eight directions, for all sets of armour, for all types of weapons, for all combinations of off-hand gear. It's not a trivial amount of work to add a pose to a Xenonaut.

Buzzles, I have to say I am the biggest fan turn based gameplay so in no way would I like that to change, however with some “bobbing” the whole experience will be more lifelike or more real if you like, especially when looking at the screen periodically everything would look more natural but more importantly this would NOT in any way affect the turn based gameplay, as I did stress “only a slight movement”. With the improved graphics we have these days combatants end up looking abnormally stationary, it wasn’t a problem yesterday(old graphics e.g. xcom) but now it sticks out like a sore thumb in my opinion.

If it can’t be done now then it would be nice for the future.

In other turn based games like fallout 1+2 i found the Idle animations very annoying, such as sprites randomly reloading guns or scratching their heads. If they are implemented I hope they don't include these meaningless out of context actions. I would be happy enough for the sprites to be as still as chessmen, i think it adds to the feel of tension when things move.

In other turn based games like fallout 1+2 i found the Idle animations very annoying, such as sprites randomly reloading guns or scratching their heads. If they are implemented I hope they don't include these meaningless out of context actions. I would be happy enough for the sprites to be as still as chessmen, i think it adds to the feel of tension when things move.

As far as I remember, Fallout 1 and 2 did not play the idle animations during combat (which was turn based), but only during the exploration side of things, which was in real time. I could be wrong, but I'm not reinstalling to check.

They were a bit limited though.