Question about burst fire and suppression, anyone?

Currently (had a quick look at the source), seems like suppression is applied on each round fired. Still to understand if wanted or bug; if it's wanted the suppressionValue values in weapons_gc.xml are way too high, IMHO!
Thanks for the info. As far as the current suppression values go, normally I would think they are too high like you do, but my experience in the game is that only the machinegun (M-60) seems to suppress aliens with any kind of regularity. The smaller weapons hardly ever suppress anything. Maybe there is a problem with the calculation or maybe that's the way they wanted them to work. I've been working with a weapons mod that even with 6 rounds per burst the smaller guns are pretty useless for suppression. Edited by StellarRat

The original posts Chris put up were that suppression was a single action when you fired.

If you fire a single shot you apply the single shot suppression value once.

If you fire a burst you apply the burst suppression value once.

Those values were not tied to the number of rounds in any way.

A 3 round burst with 10 suppression does 10 suppression.

Changing that to a 20 round burst with 10 suppression still does 10 suppression.

I still don't like the system though so if it accidentally gets broken in favour of a better one I am happy :P

Hmm...well that means I need to raise my suppression ratings for burst fire a lot. I guess the question is how much more suppressive is a burst vs. one shot? If I simply multiply the number of rounds in the burst by the suppression rating of a single shot from the same weapon it seems too high...maybe the square root of the number of shots x the single shot value.

By the way, I agree with you the suppression thing needs to be reworked. I really think amount of suppression added and removed from a target should be very random. There should be significant danger in walking up to a suppressed enemy. It should be possible they'll "wake up" and reaction fire at you. Or maybe they'll cower for several turns while they clean their armor. Also, it seems to me that actually hitting an enemy should be very suppressive and near misses should suppress more than shots that aren't even close.

Edited by StellarRat

I originally suggested a model that applied suppression based on where the rounds impacted.

I quite like the idea of a cone of suppression from the firer towards the target as well though.

Angle of the cone is about the same as the potential shot deviation of the weapon, suppression follows the damage formula for weapon range (i.e. fades off after the optimum range of the weapon).

Represents people being affected by bullets flying past their heads, even if they don't get hit.