It does seem to be taking a rather long time. Desura is such a PITA and so awful at updating that I really don't want to go back to it. How come the standalone is still not available?

1: Desura don't work on weekends at a guess, and have some serious problems on their end.

2: Like I said in the other thread, I think Chris said there was an animation error that he wanted to fix before uploading the stand alone.

Yeah, it's a serious pain waiting.

It does seem to be taking a rather long time. Desura is such a PITA and so awful at updating that I really don't want to go back to it. How come the standalone is still not available?
Because Desura updates the standalone as well.

Because we don't know if Chris has even uploaded the standalone. Last word (first post in this very thread) was that he still had something to do (some small animation fix that he was expecting to be done soon) and as far as I know that fix hasn't been applied yet? Not even to the client version (consider that the client version doesn't need a full upload of every file unlike the zip file).

Edited by Gorlom

I'm surprised you're rendering the soldiers as one complete sprite instead of chunks the game composites together as needed. (the Baldurs Gate games used to do that, build a sprite from pieces based on inventory, I mean. I think that method was called 'paper doll' sprites?) Wouldn't having, "x" poses of soldier A, B, or C, "x" poses of gun A, B, C, & D, and "x" poses of item A, B, C, & D, be more efficient than rendering out every possible combination of those items and weapons?

Come to think of it, i'm pretty sure the original Xcom did that too, because I remember trying to edit XC:TFFD to include XC:UD gear.