Marketing and the upcoming Firaxis X-com game

I must say from what I've seen in the demo you guys really have made great strides in resurrecting a good old game.

However with the upcoming X-com game I really would like to know what you have planned marketing side? And how you plan to differentiate your product from theirs? (apart from the 2D - 3D).

Well, so far Chris has used youtube reviewers, reddit, kickstarter, a few articles over at various gaming news sites... Further more it's constantly available to stumble across on Desura. Think he is twittering a lot as well

It has been mentioned in the comment sections of articles on Firaxis X-com, it has been mentioned on Firaxis forum. It's mentioned in the X-com wikipedia page.

Once the game is launched I expect a revisit to gaming news sites and Steams inherent service to let people stumble across new and interesting games.

The big differences would be larger squad sizes, more then one base, keeping the AP/TU mechanic intact. No awful "thin man" alien!!!

I'm not a marketing kind of guy so I'm not really sure what they can do to differentiate from their product, or even if that is the only way to go with marketing. If people thought it was the same thing wouldn't Xenonauts have an advantage because of the indie price?

I think the huge success of the Kickstarter assures that Xenonauts will "make it" in terms of sales. I can't say right now how they will compare as we haven't seen the finished products side by side. While Firaxis has made some awesome games like Civilization I think they've lost there way a bit the last few years by trying to dumb down their games for more mass market appeal. Civ V was a disaster in my opinion. Once they release a game they'll make a couple stability patches, but it's unlikely the patches will improve the game itself if there are balance issues or AI problems, etc... while Chris has stated that Xenonauts will continue to evolve after it's released. If he's listening to the players this will be a good thing.

I think the huge success of the Kickstarter assures that Xenonauts will "make it" in terms of sales. I can't say right now how they will compare as we haven't seen the finished products side by side. While Firaxis has made some awesome games like Civilization I think they've lost there way a bit the last few years by trying to dumb down their games for more mass market appeal. Civ V was a disaster in my opinion. Once they release a game they'll make a couple stability patches, but it's unlikely the patches will improve the game itself if there are balance issues or AI problems, etc... while Chris has stated that Xenonauts will continue to evolve after it's released. If he's listening to the players this will be a good thing.

Civ V did not have a good launch. It took a long time to patch. But two years and one expansion later I think it's the best strategy game pretty much ever.

So I figure the new X-Com will be great... by about 2014.

Civ V did not have a good launch. It took a long time to patch. But two years and one expansion later I think it's the best strategy game pretty much ever.

So I figure the new X-Com will be great... by about 2014.

Maybe I should take a second look at CIV 5 then. I wasn't about to shell out $50 for a crappy game. I suppose you still have to have Steam??

Maybe I should take a second look at CIV 5 then. I wasn't about to shell out $50 for a crappy game. I suppose you still have to have Steam??

Yes, you do need steam. Steam is a harmless program, I have no complaints with using it. And I'm generally very touchy about that sort of thing.

By all means try Civ V now. It is a wonderful game. Highly addictive.

i used to hate steam with a passion, now its not so bad. problem is everyone else (desura, origin, GFWL, ubisoft) all think that having there own is a good idea too. civ 5 is good fun single imo the multi takes too long. warlock mota is also fun, quicker in mplayer.

Tbo ima get both fireaxis and this. there different squad mechanics, and probably different geoscape mechanics. xeno is also very easy to mod from the looks of it.

Yes I will also be getting the xcom game (and I obviously already have xenonauts) and I think they are different enough to not overlap in a bad way in their experience.

Xenonauts will be a much more "true to the roots" experience while xcom tries to modernize the genre a bit more thus both games have merit on their own.