Should soliders be able to carry their equipment when transferring base-to-base?

Bit of a knotty question, but should soliders have the option to carry their loadout (arms, armour, and equipment) in-between base transfers? The obvious benefit of being able to carry over equipment is one of convienence: there's no time spent re-equipping a solider, or in transferring over equipment separately, or forgetting that your solider needs re-equipping! The negative aspect to it would be the consequence of convenience: forgetting to de-equip a solider of stuff you want kept at the original base, transferring the wrong things and not having enough room at base B to store arms and equipment.

It may depend on why you transfer troops

Is your new base a fully functional Chinook ready base?

Are you shifting personnel who you've had for a while but turn out to be a little light on psi defence?

Do you just need some warm bodies at the new base in case of a base attack?

Do you have the Alenium at the new base to power any equipment/weapons?

Would you prefer to keep your best equipment at your current base?

Personally, I'd prefer the equipment to stay. I can always transfer it later if I really have to. Although considering the transport will probably be destroyed for both troop and equipment, it's all moot anyway :)

I'd rather it followed with. If I would want the equipment to stay at the old base I would go to the soldier screen and unequip everything first.

If it doesn't follow and there's no hint or information about that I'm just going to forget it every time and be annoyed about it. (and delay going back to the crashsite I shot down and already sent all my unequipped troops to once, because I need to wait for the transfer to complete.)

Most of me wants to say it would & should go with the soldier, but a little niggling bit says the equipment actually belongs to the base's quartermaster and is only issued out for soldiers at that base.

That's one of the few areas the original Xcom was really straightforward about, equipment was tied to the dropship not the soldier, but I'm not sure if it's the better way or not.

Edited by Buzzles

Finding out that you don't have enough of your best rifles to equip your main drop ship isn't fun (esp if transport gets hit)

Infinite basic equipment at any base with a store is fun (so you're not going to transfer naked troops)

Therefore I say it stays at the base.

Of course I'm just using justification there:) I'm going to try that this week. "Well, you're just trying to justify it." to see how I get on. :)

Next week, I 'll try "Well, if you're going to bring common sense into it, then we can't continue."

Finding out that you don't have enough of your best rifles to equip your main drop ship isn't fun (esp if transport gets hit)

Infinite basic equipment at any base with a store is fun (so you're not going to transfer naked troops)

Therefore I say it stays at the base.

Wouldn't you know how many rifles etc you have at the base you are transferring from? Is it equally clear how much equipment you have at the base you are transferring too?

The base might have replacement equipment in it's stores... but that doesn't help me if I forget to put that equipment on the soldier.

Of course I'm just using justification there:) I'm going to try that this week. "Well, you're just trying to justify it." to see how I get on. :)

Next week, I 'll try "Well, if you're going to bring common sense into it, then we can't continue."

What are you on about Thothkins? The third and fourth paragraphs doesn't make sense to me.

In the end I expect either will work as long as there is sufficient information as to what happens to the equipment and a reminder to reequip the soldier if the items doesn't follow the soldiers.

I expect a checkbox option to send the equip with the soldier or leave it behind would be too much trouble.

Edited by Gorlom

Yes, you would know how many you had from the base your transferring from (assuming that the stores shows the total amount and not the total remaining after some had been allocated to your troops.)

But, then you have to deselect everything from the soldier before the transfer. Easier to simply not have to worry about it at all, and have everything stay where it is.

Of course my entire post made sense. Just as they always do :) Quickly checks to see what last post was...

It was a reaction to the utterly spurious use of "in game lore justification." I read that as you saying that any argument that isn't "fun" as you see it, is simply "justification" used by other people.

That sounds harsher than it should. But "fun" is utterly subjective, and any opinion whatsoever can be seen as "justification." So I was poking fun at it.

It was a reaction to the utterly spurious use of "in game lore justification." I read that as you saying that any argument that isn't "fun" as you see it, is simply "justification" used by other people.

That sounds harsher than it should. But "fun" is utterly subjective, and any opinion whatsoever can be seen as "justification." So I was poking fun at it.

No, I was just talking about the Quartermaster argument since that really doesn't have any affect on the mechanic. It's just a way to say that is the reason it works the way it works. I was trying to seperate how the mechanic would work from why it would work that way.

But I see now what you were trying to do... confusing as it is.

Yes, you would know how many you had from the base your transferring from (assuming that the stores shows the total amount and not the total remaining after some had been allocated to your troops.)

But, then you have to deselect everything from the soldier before the transfer. Easier to simply not have to worry about it at all, and have everything stay where it is.

Funny. I think it would be simpler to have the gear come with and not have to worry about reequipping my soldier. Easier to simply right click all their gear or the "deequip all" button if Chris ever puts one in.

Guess it's all up to preference.

Edited by Gorlom

Both methods have their uses and will both probably be good in different situations.

Personally I mainly transfer troops around to provide a fighting force at the new location.

I would usually also have to provide the gear from that some initial point.

For me transferring WITH their gear would be more useful than otherwise.

In other situations it might be good to have them leave their high tech stuff behind.

Personally though I would just decide who I was sending and give them whatever I wanted them to take, if I wanted them to take no high tech gear I would take it off them.

I really don't know which way is better, although I would lean towards keeping their gear at the base.

I have this feeling at the back of my mind that gear and personnel should be kept separate. The personnel screen should only transfer personnel and the same for stores. I don't want my store levels changing without my notice when I send troops, only when I manufacture something or explicitly transfer gear.

But that's just me.