The new guy: A.I. Developer #42 & Discussion on A.I.

On that note, it would be nice if aliens stopped being so fixated on reserving TUs that they forget to kill you. Aliens are always walking up to me and going, "'Sup." Then I have my LMG gunner who can put 4/5 rounds in a target at 20 tiles try to kill the bug, at which point his accuracy drops to 1/5 rounds in the target and 3/5 in fellow soldiers.

Yeah, shooting at point blank range, missing most of your shots and having them go perpendicular makes very little sense. But that has little to do with A.I. I reckon :)

To the contrary, this is a strong indication of a highly advanced AI. The original X-Com AI simply cheated by breaking some of the rules. This new AI follows the rules but games the system.

Yeah, shooting at point blank range, missing most of your shots and having them go perpendicular makes very little sense. But that has little to do with A.I. I reckon :)

Just an amusing corollary. Maybe it really is advanced AI, though--they know we can't shoot for crap at close range and are likely to kill our comrades? Then they get to react to the misses and kill someone else.

Sometimes I wonder what the reality base line is for our soldiers beginning.

For me these soldiers are the best the world has.ie SAS-NAVY SEALS-COMMANDO etc.

When it is indicated they are green I don't auto think they just arrived from school.

I think they are only green because they need to retrain and familiarise with a new enemy and tech standards.

I do NOT think an SAS soldier would miss at 10 metres or point blank very often.

Penalties for learning need to come from another area.

Also I went face to face with an SAS Sgt Major Training.

I can tell you standing in the chopper and telling greenest troops to run out first would take a lot of guts.

Could you order that in the real world ?

Cheers,

The progress is encouraging.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

That's a good point, you would never want the AI to be predictable, sometimes they should make decisions that will seem stupid because in a different situation that might have thrown you off and caused you lots of pain ;D

Unpredictability means replayability! Of course there's a fine balance between interesting/fun unpredictability and frustrating/stupid unpredictability as well, not easy to pull off that's for sure.

Is it intended to have aliens work together in small fire teams? I have noticed in landed UFO missions that the aliens come rushing out when I am besieging their entrance, but other times they are mostly separated from one another and as mentioned above reserving their time for reaction shots or shooting through the map due to squad sight.

If they were to operate in teams, both issues: reaction shots and squad sight would not be noticeable. The later is also not fare to take away since the player has that as well and why would't soldiers on the field communicate the enemy location to one another.

It's hard to tell with the AI not being finished, but I've had groups of Sebillians sit behind walls in landing ship missions killing everything that strays near.

Idea: Capture an alien, tie it up and frog march out in front. Let it be the first one to get taken out. :)

I agree at random aliens but still being smart. i like if they go from normal scattered and searching to holed up on a top on the farm hose trying to shoot you off like snipes. or in groups on 2 of them each. or they mind control dogs I dunno hahaha random will be nice.

It's hard to tell with the AI not being finished, but I've had groups of Sebillians sit behind walls in landing ship missions killing everything that strays near.

Idea: Capture an alien, tie it up and frog march out in front. Let it be the first one to get taken out. :)

Exactly=As Winston Churchill once stated=The idea is not to die for your country but make the enemy die for his.:cool:

Though you'd want some stupidity, otherwise the game would just be too harsh. Having the AI make 'mistakes' is a good thing.
I doubt that it's going to be so tough that no human can beat it. Even if that happened it's better to have a really good AI that needs to be "dumbed" for beginners than an AI that is too easy to beat for veteran players. What I'm particularly happy about is that the AI doesn't "cheat" unlike most game AIs. It only knows the same things a human player knows.

What I'm particularly happy about is that the AI doesn't "cheat" unlike most game AIs. It only knows the same things a human player knows.

Yeah, this is what I love. AI that has the same decisions to make as the human player. That's e.g. why ArmA players love their ArmA :)