The last mission duh dumdum

Name

I think it would be cool if the last mission was a 1-3 mission affair.

And you brought in allllllllllll available troops you could on interstellar transports or have to set up an lz.

Being presented with choices would be cool

A). Attack while we have the element of some surprise

B). Wait for rienforcements, but the aliens will be prepared.

A). Destroy alien supercumputerthingamobbob.

B). Study it in hopes of uplifting your species (possible sequel stuff ;-) )

A). Have cpl hick shave his legs and pretend to be a women.

B). Don't just don't.

A). Add to discussion on this page

B). Don't and begon forever

As long as it doesn't involve uploading a virus to the mothership.

I would like to see the final mission take place on Earth for a change.

The aliens have finally finished atmospheric alterations on the massive colony ship at the heart of the fleet.

It lands in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and floats there like a gigantic new island.

You need to start launching missions against various areas of this ship.

You identify that the cloning systems are operational, it is starting to pump out gases to create an atmosphere more conducive to alien life, its command and control abilities are coordinating alien attacks so they are more effective etc.

After a few missions you begin to weaken the abilities of the ship so the crew starts to overload its power core.

Your final mission is to take control of that core and prevent an Iceland incident type explosion on a much larger scale.

Succeed and the ship launches escape pods out of the atmosphere to other planets in the system before sinking to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Roll credits and prepare for Xenonauts 2: Fear from the Depths.

If you fail large parts of the ocean are vaporised, the air itself catches on fire and the majority of life on the planet is destroyed, either in the blast or by the changes to what is left of the ecosystems in the wake of it.

Probably try to avoid that one.

Although Xenonauts 2: Cavemen vs Ceasans could be more interesting if you had to start from your high tech base and recruit from the survivors of a shattered race.

This. Absolutely this. Especially if the virus was written in a lazy afternoon after the programmer's drunken hissy-fit.

I did notice that the art design for the alien ships seems to borrow a little from Independence Day (the influence is most obvious in the air combat silhouettes), but that's as far as it should go. The look is about the only thing that movie did right.

Succeed and the ship launches escape pods out of the atmosphere to other planets in the system before sinking to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Good. That would satisfy the people on here who have demanded that the developers address X-COM: Terror From The Deep!

Although Xenonauts 2: Cavemen vs Ceasans could be more interesting if you had to start from your high tech base and recruit from the survivors of a shattered race.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be so eager for this one. That's the approach the UFO After* series kept taking...

...then again, I guess it could be worse. At least in that scenario, the Xenonauts wouldn't be on some other planet 20 minutes in the future for no real reason (a la UFO Extraterrestrials).

Would we need a time frame to stop the changes or is it a whenyouvehadenoughthing.

Mabye 1 month 2 max

Not to crazy about Xenonauts fear from the depths. But launching costly salvage missions (providing expert troops for protection getting the tech leaving) sound fun. I wonder what the Ceasens would do with all that new free time on other worlds.

Edited by Name

Great huge Pyramid landing craft smashes New York to smithereens. 12 million hipsters dead. Fight up the Pyramid, through the force shield, destroy the huge alien brain at the top ...but WAIT! The brain is made out of papier-mache!

***BREAKING NEWS! BREAKING NEWS! Multiple alien crafts have disappeared into the oceans all over the world while Xenonauts were busy assaulting what turned out to be a fake mothership in New York! Xenonaut Commander denies that they were duped! Allied governments reported to re-evaluate Xenonaut organization funding, reported rumours about a rival alien-fighting organization being set up!***

...sequel: Return of Xenonautilus II: Submarine Terror In The Depths! All-new submarine/airborne threat, new weapons and armour, weapon countermeasures employed by aliens to defeat previous game's OP player-researched technology. New mega-weapons! New mega-armour! Player choice to buy/make/use expensive and bulky and inefficient self-sealing underwater armour or cheaper/more convenient but much more risky one-hit-you're-dead underwater suits. Multiple different depths at which to fight, with pressure at depth affecting equipment choices and dangerous marine environment! Multiple missions taking place close to unstable underwater cliffs, final mission in Atlantis!

Edited by Oathbreaker

- Alien mothership in orbit

followed by

- Alien outpost on Pluto, which they are using as a staging post for their conquest.

followed by

- Journey to their alien home planet (Zeta Reticuli. could take a while or some sort of gate tek)

followed by

- But then you find that the aliens were already evacuating the planet. They were about to be invaded.

or

it's all been controlled by the undead body of Stalin from beneath a secret Kremlin lair using Nazi genetic experimentation to create the aliens. Or it's from a crazed cyborg JFK who has survived his assassination attempt and is using Nazi genetic experimentation to unify the world.

Or the Alien Queen forces you to play chess for the souls of two worlds.

any of these really...

what I would definitely like is the option to mod in your own missions, so you potentially have a map and goal of your own.

I just like having the options available.

In my perfect X-Com sequel you would have a verity of final missions (hmmm how can they be final if there's lots of them?), showing that the various alien species had some independent goals. While the floaters and mutons seemed to have been created/controlled by the Ethereals, there was a bit more to both the Sectoids and the Snakemen. So why not have a Cydonian mission, but why not have a Sectoid mothership or a Snakeman terra forming mission in there too.

That's an interesting idea, eliminating one alien race at a time...

Actually, Space Rangers 2 had something like that in its own endgame. The enemy robots had three different factions, and each of them had more than one way that you could finally eliminate it from the galaxy once and for all. It was a great game (and damn addictive), while we're on the subject.

Sounds interesting. I'll check that one out thanks Vivisector. It's just one of those things you look at in the old X-Com and think that "hey why are they all together?" Generally it seemed that they were all under the control of the Ethereals, but it looked as though that worked for some much more than others. There were similar race issues in TFTD.

Having multiple endings, particularly making use of the X-Com R&D trees, seems like it should be in there. It''s just a little too easy to shove them all into a single linear plot.

I would like to see the final mission take place on Earth for a change.

The aliens have finally finished atmospheric alterations on the massive colony ship at the heart of the fleet.

It lands in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and floats there like a gigantic new island.

You need to start launching missions against various areas of this ship.

You identify that the cloning systems are operational, it is starting to pump out gases to create an atmosphere more conducive to alien life, its command and control abilities are coordinating alien attacks so they are more effective etc.

After a few missions you begin to weaken the abilities of the ship so the crew starts to overload its power core.

Your final mission is to take control of that core and prevent an Iceland incident type explosion on a much larger scale.

If you fail large parts of the ocean are vaporised, the air itself catches on fire and the majority of life on the planet is destroyed, either in the blast or by the changes to what is left of the ecosystems in the wake of it.

Probably try to avoid that one.

Yeah, I'd probably go with something similar to this; although I'd suggest that it land in Antarctica or something, and maybe just be a massive underground base, (like four alien bases in one, or something, which they're using as a headquarters on Earth) where the brain/whatever is, as well as probably having a massive reactor core and/or 'doomsday weapon' that you need to contend with, to prevent them from detonating the core/weapon (I'd probably be inclined to go for the power core option, but by that point of the game they'd be slightly desperate and/or straight-up wanting revenge on our species for killing so many of them, etc etc) and taking out a good portion of the planet's surface, in an upscaled II-esque situation, as you suggested.

Space Rangers 2 is such a good game! (Except for the FPS/RTS bits, which were far less awesome.)

By FPS, I assume you mean the text quests. But yes, those were uninspired.

Luckily (for anyone else reading this), the text quests and RTS missions were 100% optional. Seriously, you could skip all of them and forget they're even in the game.

Of course, just doing the normal quests could get repetitive after a while... almost all of them were delivery quests or "Find and kill X". But if that got boring, you could always go kill the dominators and take their stuff. Or kill pirates and take THEIR stuff. Or just be a pirate yourself. Or do the merchant thing and buy/sell goods. Or get some probes and loot uninhabited planets. Or look for black holes and play that Asteroids minigame. Or some ADHD-challenged combination of all those things at once.

That was part of the game's charm, the way it just dropped you into a crowded map and said "Here you are. Go nuts!"

How does the reboot version compare to the older version?

The "Reboot" version is actually an expansion pack for the base Space Rangers 2 game... it's about average as expansion packs go. It adds some more ship equipment, missions (including more text / RTS), maps, and other stuff of that nature, but nothing really earth-shattering. So if you hate Space Rangers 2, it won't change your mind, but if you loved it, Reboot offers more of the same. It does make the game a little easier, as one of the new things are special hulls that have some nice bonuses.

Since the game is so cheap now, you might as well get Reboot, too, but the base SR2 game is quite fine on its own.

i agree. the biggest bummer for me for the original xcom was the overall arch of events.

it was like why bothering doing this or that, or researching this, you just need an avenger, 20 guys, and a live alien commander.

there should be like 3 different endings.

- A cydonia style mission to mars ( fun for those who want a goal oriented ending)

- A kill em till there aint no more to kill ( fun for players who like to keep the game going)

- a huge orbital battle involving multiple air missions and the "mother ship" which needs to be taken down. then ground assaulted with tons of aliens on both sides. after which the rest of the aliens can be mopped up (fun for those who want a blaze of glory ending)

- possibly another scenario, FEAR. the player scores so high in the later months, the aliens see the invasion as a lost cause and pull out. maybe make certain goals, like having to score super high, having to kill xxx commanders. researching terror weapons or torture on the aliens. (fun for those who want a score based ending)