Stores screen updated UI for comment!

Chris

OK, so I'm sitting down and trying to get the major screen for our new UI revised and ready to be implemented (once the rest of the code is done at least).

The easiest of these is the Stores screen. What I've aimed to do with the updated UI is to:

1) Make it clear why it doesn't do anything until you capture / manufacture some items.

2) Stop it being quite so overwhelming.

As such, there are three "sub-screens" in the design.

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/stores1.jpg

Screen 1 is what is show if there are no items in the base stores. Pretty self explanatory really.

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/stores2.jpg

Screen 2 is the "Sell" screen, which is shown by default when you load up the screen and there is something in the stores. This has all the functionality of the current stores screen, but minus the awkward columns for Transfer also shoehorned in there too. The base is selected by the dropdown in the top left corner.

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/stores3.jpg''>http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/stores3.jpg' rel="external nofollow">

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/stores3.jpg

Screen 3 is the "Transfer" screen, which is shown when you click the Transfer tab in the "speech bubble" menu in the bottom left. Again, this has all the info you need to transfer items from one base to another without the extra columns from the Sell functionality mixed in. The bases in question can be chosen from the two drop-downs.

Overall, I think the changes are pretty simple but they should make the screen both prettier and more intuitive. Hopefully I'll have the updated Personnel screen later today too.

Looks great.

I'm just wondering if there will be support for any mod that decides that the starting equip will not be free. Will it be possible to buy starting equipment then? (Game is lacking a possibility for a "buy screen" for such a mod) Would it be possible to add such a buy screen yourself somehow or would that need to be coded into the game from the start?

Edited by Gorlom

Regarding transfers: While it would seem clear to me from the screen that the left-hand side is from:, and the right-hand side is to:, you may want to clarify that slightly - possibly by an arrow or other indicator.

EDIT: Had another look at the screen and I can now see it's bi-directional. In which case, people might mistake the left hand side for from:, and the right hand side for to:.

New stores screen = Phwoar.

I especially like the drop down arrows though ;)

I have one suggestion, which was touched upon in the new Research UI: as the game progresses and Xenonauts tech increases, would it be possible to have more items/details added to the image? Ie, like a PDA replacing the terminal, some extra bit of tech or electronics resting on top of those crates on the right etc...

Edited by Buzzles

The infinite basic equipment doesn't really bother me. Most of the weapons have their use, and your troops can't lug the whole armory around on their back, so there's still decisions to be made even if you can have everything.

Also, I can't even remember how many games there are where you're officially trying to save the world, either you win or everyone dies, and you still have to pay for even the most basic shit. Usually you see this in RPGs, but it happens in these squad-level strategy games, too. That Xenonauts doesn't pull this on you was a pleasant surprise to me.

I would like to see him updated as we advance in technology development as the research guy and at least part of the cast to be female as we have female soldiers.

I'd worry why he was pilfering equipment to kit himself out, rather than tending to the stores. It would be the same if the bloke in the R&D changed. "Hey, why are you turning yourself into a cyborg, when there's laser guns to be researched?" :)

I'd worry why he was pilfering equipment to kit himself out, rather than tending to the stores. It would be the same if the bloke in the R&D changed. "Hey, why are you turning yourself into a cyborg, when there's laser guns to be researched?" :)

As a researcher, he could use some parts of technology to improve his own abilities and capacities to better develop new technology, for example new sensors and so on.

So I think it would be natural for every staff eventually use part of the technology to improve their work. For example the stores terminal to became a tablet and later maybe a minority report like screen, but of course it is up to developers to check if it is interesting or not.