Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 135

Thread: Feedback on "Goldhawk Interactive & Piracy"

  1. #121
    I think second hand sales do more damage to the games industry than piracy. At least with piracy, you aren't competing for the same space in stores that the copies that will make you money occupy.

    Stores like Gamestop make the vast majority of their profit from reselling games that the developer receives not a single penny for. They do this because they can buy second hand games for pennies and re-sell them in their store alongside the brand new stock but make them $1 or two cheaper.

    Pirates have already made the decision to download the game for free, so they were never likely to give you any money, but the people in the game store were there to spend money but end up giving all their money to the retailer and none of it goes to the developer.

  2. #122
    Wrong is wrong, in and of itself.
    Alpha release 14, unless otherwise mentioned.

    System specs, if it ends up mattering:
    Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz x 2
    6 GB RAM

  3. #123
    WishfullThinker Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by ko2fan View Post
    I think second hand sales do more damage to the games industry than piracy. At least with piracy, you aren't competing for the same space in stores that the copies that will make you money occupy.

    Stores like Gamestop make the vast majority of their profit from reselling games that the developer receives not a single penny for. They do this because they can buy second hand games for pennies and re-sell them in their store alongside the brand new stock but make them $1 or two cheaper.

    Pirates have already made the decision to download the game for free, so they were never likely to give you any money, but the people in the game store were there to spend money but end up giving all their money to the retailer and none of it goes to the developer.
    This came as a shock to me as it at first glance seems to conflict with hat you informed me of earlier in this thread. Then looking back at those posts I realize you were just informing without condemning or approving of the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUbiquitous View Post
    Wrong is wrong, in and of itself.
    I believe that sometimes you have to look at why it is so and reconsider.

    But you need to do so without twisting it to suit your purposes. You need to consider EVERYTHING not just hat is convenient.
    Last edited by Gorlom; 08-19-2012 at 21:03.

  4. #124
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    right here!
    Posts
    18

  5. #125
    Alien Smasher raidsoft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    111
    Not sure if I want to know where he pulled those numbers out of......

  6. #126
    WishfullThinker Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,074
    Does it matter? All that matters really is that Yves Guillemot believes them to be true and for him to act upon them as if they were.
    And the horrible DRM that results from it.

  7. #127
    Commander thothkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Squinty Ziggurat
    Posts
    4,807
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    It would be interesting to see other assessments. Imagine the impact on anything if 93% of it got ripped off.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

  8. #128
    WishfullThinker Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by thothkins View Post
    It would be interesting to see other assessments. Imagine the impact on anything if 93% of it got ripped off.
    The only thing I can think of is porn? But that is so cheap to produce that all they have to do is pump out more...

  9. #129
    Commander thothkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Squinty Ziggurat
    Posts
    4,807
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    The only thing I can think of is porn? But that is so cheap to produce that all they have to do is pump out more...
    I was thinking music and then imagining the impact beyond things you *can* pirate to other companies. What would be the impact on any industry that had 93% of it's potential sales ripped off or stolen? What would survive that and what would it look like.

    Or you could just stick with p0rn
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

  10. #130
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    right here!
    Posts
    18
    Sitting with the newest pcgamer, and it has a nice article about sales on steam, sadly i cant find a link for it, but the tldr version is, when sales are on they sell alot of copies cheap but in the period after the sale they still keep selling, it is a good food for thoughts, and Ea doesnt like it, since they are "selling out"

    So selling your game cheap can be better than selling your game very expensively :P

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •