Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving away from the digital media a bit...

Moving away from the digital media a bit...

As the title suggests. It goes without saying that most here are gamers of some sort, some of us (at least me) are primarily console gamers, others (like Ace, no offense) are die-hard PC gamers. We all play digital games, so to speak.

Now, what I was pondering, is there anyone on these forums who plays non-digital games? Mainly pen 'n papper RPGs or tabletop wargames, or why not trading card games? I myself do play a lot of PnP RPGs and a few tabletop wargames (Warhammer, Flames of War, Necromunda and looking at starting Malifaux).

The reason I ask is because I can't help but notice (at least get the impression) that they seem to be somewhat exclusive to each other. Video games is an accepted form of entertainment, while roleplayers and wargamers still somewhat struggle with the stereotype of unwashed people in a basement playing out less than child-friendly fantasies, or being grown people playing with toy soldiers.

I dunno, could just be my interpretation of the whole thing, but where I come live video games are accepted, RPGs and wargames less so.

Wall of text, sorry. Anyway, feel free to share your opinions on this, or if you indeed pursue a similar hobby.

TL;DR - Do you play any other games than video games, or do you think video games are more socially acceptable than wargames and RPGs?

Also, first thread I've started on this forum, I think. Yikes!
    When faced with danger, when beset by doubt; run in circles, wave your arms and shout.

Quote Originally Posted by thothkins View Post
    But it nice to pop into such a friendly forum and know that we're all pulling in the same direction. friendship, courtesy and respect. What more could you ask for? Oh, and moonshine in a can... and snus...

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I played everything that White Wolf had to offer, and then some. Game: the Subtitle was my life. As was everything that GW turned out. I have currently sitting on my shelves half painted armies from a dozen codicies.

I think the social acceptance of a format of game is most to do with ease of access, mass-connectivity, time and money. Games Workshop made a ton of money with their Lord of the Rings skirmish wargame (and turned out quite an original ruleset for GW), but that didn't translate into better sales for W40K and WFB. The Emprah is an established meme, and the W40K Space Marine is occasionally used as the atypical space marine in more common media. But that underground acceptance still doesn't make playing with toy soliders any more acceptable.

When did video games make their great breakthrough? I'd put it down to the lan parties, to Barry's World, to Gamespy, then later to the 360 and the Wii. When games became easier to use, they gained more acceptance. When video games became mass-connected (Farmville anyone?), they became more socially acceptable. When companies realised there was a ton of money to be made, they damn well inserted a crowbar into people's minds and made video games more acceptable.

I played a lot of warhammer/40k/battlefleet gothic and so on when I was younger but it got too expensive to carry on.
    I would still play a computer version of the games (shadow of the horned rat!) I just don't have time or money enough to play the real thing.
    I never really got into pen and paper rpg's.
    To be fair I hadn't really heard of them until I started playing computer games, they were just not big where I grew up.
    People were more likely to be throwing stones at each other and smashing things than working together to collect rat tails.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

I play Twilight Imperium from time to time with a pretty stable group. Tried some D&D in the past but never managed to truly get into it.

And yes, video games have become more socially acceptable than table rpgs/tops. V-games are now mainstream what with e-sports, FB games, MMOs, etc. while the table-related activities have remained in the realm of major geekery (though it's not as bad as in the past of course).
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Please please please tell me twillight imperium is not based on the Twillight vampier series!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    Please please please tell me twillight imperium is not based on the Twillight vampier series!
    No, it's a political/economic/war-game set in a sci-fi universe with different alien species (humans too ofc). Almost like a table top version of Master of Orion.
    Last edited by Jean-Luc; 08-07-2012 at 17:28.

Awards:
    Posting Award
    I still play RPGs as well as delving into boardgames. Probably a bit more than I've kept up with PC games.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Quote Originally Posted by thothkins View Post
    I still play RPGs as well as delving into boardgames.
    What kind of boardgames? 2x4s or something with a bit more...breadth?

Awards:
    Posting Award
    ouch!

Arkham Horror, Carcassonne, Pandemic, Zombies (well modified) and a very interesting Cold War game I've just picked up that would add a lot to a certain Geopolitical type of thing. Those are the most recent games. I did buy the first Warhammer 40k, but despite being a good read, looked extortionate to keep up an interest in.

On the RPG front it's mostly Call of Cthulhu and a few home brewed systems.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

I used to play DSA (kinda like D&D) for a while and a few games of Shadowrun. Never really had the luxury of time to get into it though. Or a willing group on the same schedule for that matter.
    I don't think either of them actually IS socially more acceptable, but I do get the impression that videogames are more socially acceptED. Make any sense?
    On the other hand, here in germany where nothing makes sense, it's probably the other way around, seeing as in one kind everything happens in your imagination, and in the other kind you are trained to shoot up people for real (if the term killer games means anything to you). *cough*
    Oh well. Don't try to understand what's socially acceptable.
    It's like saying don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down and beat you with experience.

regards
    Davoren