(v13.01) First impressions of flashbangs.

I've been using flashbangs for a while now, and I've got to say - well, not too impressed. On paper they look the bomb. 80 suppression should lock any low-grade alien down, no worries. But I can fling 2 or 3 at caesian and sebiliian guards and noncoms and even though I'm sure they are in blast radius, they make the "alien hit" noise, but aren't suppressed. Does a grenade's damage and suppression effect noticeably reduce the further away it is from the point of impact?

I did an intensive test of flashbangs verses sebillians. Verses guards, it took 5(!) to 9(!!!) grenades to suppress, and half the time I did so much stun damage that they would fall unconcious. With a suppressed sebillian, it then took 3 per round to keep it down. Somethin' ain't right there. It's easier for me to shoot a sebillian than it is to use flashbangs. And if it's easier to shoot it, why fiddle about with fancy stuff?

I have only flashbanged two sebiliian guards or noncoms can't remember which. Both went suppressed after one flashbang. First was a blind throw into a spaceship I new had to have aliens in it. So I know it was not a direct hit but a few tiles away. The other was the tile next to the alien and it was suppressed. I will run more flashbangs when I play next. I am not counting the third sebiliian I suppressed that was inside the generator since that ship had no generator and that one may have been glitchy.

I will be sure to pay more attention and run more flashbangs to see if I run into your issues. What difficulty are you running at? I am on normal that right there could be part of the issue if you are on hard.

EDIT

Ran a few more missions with flashbangs did find a few aliens that would not be suppressed with 1-3 flashbangs and had to be burst fired to suppress them. I figure some of those flashbangs missed the targets. Still other aliens in the same mission went to suppressed state in one flashbang. We will need others to add more input to see if this is a glitch or an error with them as I have found no pattern yet.

I did manage to kill a civilian with a flashbang, shoot one of my own people in the back, and flashbang my own people running these tests though.

Edited by Agent Dark
More Tests

Curious to see if they suffer from the same problem as other weapons when using them to suppress.

Do they suppress enemies around where they land or where you aim them, assuming the two are different?

For example if I throw a flashbang through a doorway but it hits the frame and lands at my troops feet does it suppress my troops or those inside the room where I originally tried to throw it?

Well, after going back and re-reading the suppression mechanic, I did some fiddling about with the suppression radius of the flashbang, and I'm pretty sure it works out suppression from point-of-impact for grenades. Changing up the suppression radius from 2.5 to 6 meant I could suppress guards with 2-3 flashbangs, rather than the 5+ I was before. That meant that what was most likely happening was unless I got flashbangs dead on, I was most likely clipping the guard with the outer rim of the suppression "blast", which is half suppression. That plus armour deduction, no wonder I was having such difficulty!

And I can answer that other question as well. Far as I can tell, it didn't suppress the person who threw it, but it would suppress anyone else.

At least if they are point of impact they make sense, not suppressing yourself if you drop one at your feet does as well.

Just remember to close your eyes and put your hands over your ears :P

Now just need to work out how they affect the impact point and transfer that over to the other weapons...

I noticed that I can suppress a sebillian guard with 1 flashbang if the thrower is close (about 4 squares away) but it takes a lot more if he is further away, even if they land at its feet.

Wondering if anyone else can confirm if the distance from the thrower affects it?

Khall, you're absolutely right. I started up a level verses sebiliian guards, and provided the squaddie throwing the grenade did it within the defined range of the weapon (10 tiles), and it was within the inner band of suppression (2 tiles), it suppressed the sebillian straight away. Anyone else confirm/deny?