early game interception - ufos are too fast?

I've just spent most of the first month chasing ufos around with F17s... never actually catching any, just running out of fuel and returning to base, or having them escape to space. It's all very benny hill.

By the time I've researched and built some migs, I'm now getting wings of fighters, which the Migs aren't too brilliant against since the fighters dodge missiles and the migs don't have cannons...

To my mind the early game is quite formative and never actually catching a ufo to bring it down to get a tac mission to get the matertials, xp and research opportunities seems a little ... off.

Thoughts?

Edited by LeftyRighty

Yes and no.

First up is the obvious caveat that Goldhawk have done pretty much no balancing yet, so you have to bear that in mind.

Second is that the MIG's are very handy when you go and give them 4 sidewinders rather than the default of 2 sidewiders+2 torps. Mostly because you can use one missile to make the alien fighters dodge, then fire the other missiles in a single salvo which they can't dodge as their waiting through the cooldown timer for the roll.

You shouldn't be having any real trouble catching light scouts though, even with F17's.

Edited by Buzzles

Last build, I also noticed that enemy craft seemed to uncannily be able ot outrun anything I sent after them, and when I could catch 'em, I lost entire wings of aircraft to them (2 F-17s and 1 Mig-32) and it was really hurting my account because A) I was having to replace aircraft after every sortie and B) I couldn't bring down a scout at all to get access to one of their engines to continue on the tech tree. I was for all intents and purposes SOL and I had only done a single month of operations (And this was on the Easy difficulty).

XCom was vicious to players yes, but it was a steady ramping up of the viciousness that made sense - The longer XCOM was in operation, the hardier the enemy was gonna get because they were getting tired of XCOM showing up. Xenonauts just crushes you with the first two alien craft types early game when your still trying to get your feet under you.

Yes, I've had a good play through tonight and I'm actually changing my opinion from my previous post as I think Chris and co have changed something.

Before with F17's you'd generally have a ~5/10 chance of getting into combat with a Scout UFO you were chasing, but now, jeez, it's now less than a 1/10 chance. Not a major problem but there's now hardly any time before you start seeing them as of V13.1, so you're no way ready and might have just a single Mig to scrable.

Yes, I've had a good play through tonight and I'm actually changing my opinion from my previous post as I think Chris and co have changed something.

Before with F17's you'd generally have a ~5/10 chance of getting into combat with a Scout UFO you were chasing, but now, jeez, it's now less than a 1/10 chance. Not a major problem but there's now hardly any time before you start seeing them as of V13.1, so you're no way ready and might have just a single Mig to scrable.

I'd agree with this is how it feels. I'm doing a lot of chasing about in the last build. I don't think I got near a scout before the corvette turned up and crashed the game.

Use the afterburner. Works every time, at least at the beginning of the game.

As for the fighter's dodge, shoot only one missile at a time. Because he can't dodge again and again, this works every time, at least at the beginning of the game.

While I'd agree, we're talking about the Geoscape and not the actual combat, and you can't use the AB on the geoscape :)

It'd be nice to have the intercept point for two contacts colliding on the Geoscape be larger so that you can set intercept paths to deal with these super fast scouts. As is, if you try to fly in front of them to intercept, you'll always miss the 1 pixel of combat range and it'll just fly past you.