Mac bug reports

• 2 weeks later...

Alright! So after about two weeks Steam Support finally got back to me with the following response:

Hello Hans,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Xenonauts is currently available for Windows only.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Kinda odd, aint it?

What a turd of a game. I've seen people playing much earlier versions of this game on YouTube for many, many months, but I purchase and download the game YESTERDAY and cannot even load a saved game?! Lets not even mention trying to have two crew members enter a downed alien craft, or intercepting a UFO with a tactical fighter; all of which create a fatal error and force the game to quit.

What a turd of a game. I've seen people playing much earlier versions of this game on YouTube for many, many months, but I purchase and download the game YESTERDAY and cannot even load a saved game?! Lets not even mention trying to have two crew members enter a downed alien craft, or intercepting a UFO with a tactical fighter; all of which create a fatal error and force the game to quit.

I understand that you are frustrated but you might find people more enthustiastic to help you if you don't radiate as much negativity by being insulting and calling the game a turd. Just a thought ;)

which version are you playing btw? Did you buy it on steam, desura or through goldhawk? What is the specs of your iMac? etc

The game isn't really optimised yet I think and it is definetly not optimised for Mac (although I think KO2fan is doing his best to help the mac versions out?) So you are going to have individual problems that most otther people dont have.

Just look at "cingal" on this forum he had a peculiar casee where the game wouldnt launch for him and he tried everything that people could think of. nothing worked even though it should have. Then he tried a virtual machine and got it to work. Very peculiar case.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09

SMC Version (system): 1.9f4

Serial Number (system): QP7100FWVUW

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2CC4075

Downloaded the game 1/24/14... I've seen videos on YouTube for many months now and figured this would be a pretty stable, almost complete game. I have had nothing but errors since I installed it. I cannot load a saved game, moving a second crew member onto a downed alien ship crashes the game, shooting down ufos crashes the game. Often, simply moving a crew member too close to the edge of the screen will crash the game.

I have heard a lot about 'Wine' and see that the game refers me to it when it crashes, but honestly, you need a PhD in computer programming to understand what needs to be done to remedy the situation. I just need a bit of help to see what is going wrong and how to correct it. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I downloaded the newer version of the game (v20HF) for osx today, but I am unable to open the game after installing (downloaded and 2 times). After +- 1 min of "jumping icon" in the dock, it just closes without a message. I played an early version (V16 or V17, i guess) without problem. I used the link provided in hundlebundle.com, not Steam, to download it.

My specification are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08

My OS is 10.9.1.

My Console output gives this (i don't know if it helps anyone)

2/26/14 6:43:56.974 PM Winetricks[14905]: objc[14905]: Class KBActionWindow is implemented in both /Applications/Xenonauts.app/Contents/Resources/Winetricks.app/Contents/Frameworks/WBottler.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/KBActionWindow and /Applications/Xenonauts.app/Contents/Resources/Winetricks.app/Contents/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/KBActionWindow. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

2/26/14 6:43:56.974 PM Winetricks[14905]: objc[14905]: Class KBAction is implemented in both /Applications/Xenonauts.app/Contents/Resources/Winetricks.app/Contents/Frameworks/WBottler.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/KBActionWindow and /Applications/Xenonauts.app/Contents/Resources/Winetricks.app/Contents/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/KBActionWindow. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

2/26/14 6:43:57.442 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[164]: (com.centrecirclestudios.xenonauts_13884646586105.91376[14895]) Exited with code: 2

Thank you all for any help!

Edited by faratheking
added Console Output data

I purchased the game this weekend (19/02/2014) from Humble Bundle (version 2014-01-23 at 22:20) and have been experiencing significant bugs and crashes. I am not sure if I truly have version 20.x or if the one on their link is version 19, as many of the bugs I am experiencing seem to no longer be present by people playing version 20. How can I confirm my version #? and what could I do to increase playability?

Here is a list of crashes or bugs I have experienced:

- Cannot auto-resolve any dog fights (100% of the time)

- 2 smoke grenades in same room create the ‘darkness bug’ when even non smoke squares have impenetrable darkness until soldier walks through it. (50% of the time)

- Tank rolling over certain items causes game to crash (30% of the time)

- Invisible aliens (5% of the time)

- Crash during Alien hidden movement (5%)

- Writing almost illegible (mostly for hit % chances)

The computer I am using:

iMac 27" 2560 x 1440

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 16 GB

Just update on my problem

i found a similar thread for the user "ChaserGrey" (http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/8932-%28V20-Hotfix%29-Game-Won-t-Launch), telling the problem was with the wine wrapper. I tried to copy the files in my HD wine and the game lunches, but there is a terrible flicker in the image, as it does not draws the graphics properly between screens. I am not "Wine savvy", so could anyone give any idea on how to solve this?

Just to update, downloaded the new file v20HFb, now it runs normally! Thanks a lot!

Just noticed (don't know if is an old issue) but in the aerial combat, if i choose auto-resolve, the game always crashes after the combat result. If i select manual combat, no problem.

I had a similar problem faratheking had, and I manually moved the contents from the WineBottle wrapper to the old Wineskin and it seems to solve the issue. I haven't tested the new wrapper though. However, I've tracked the issue to the Winebottle one using its own X11 instead of the XQuarts from the MacOS. I could reproduce it by changing the Wineskin wrapper to use the wine X11, and solve it be changing it to use the XQuarts one.

Using the Wineskin wrapper I mentioned before I was able to plat V20 Hf 2 for hours on end at times. However, once in a while I got a crash. The symptoms prior to the crash are quite similar:

- Missing images, such as explosions displaying black or white rectangles instead of the usual sprites.

- Missing images on soldier inventory in Ground combat.

- Missing images/backgrounds on the Base screens.

- Inability to use the quick access buttons on the geoscape

Whenever any of this happens a crash is imminent. Saving does not seem to affect it, but loading such save after the crash restores everything to normal. And as far as I know loading a save made in the scenario is not predictive of how long it would take to crash again. Sometimes is as little as 5 minutes in, sometimes it takes a couple of hours to crash the game. So despite the few crashes, the game is quite enjoyable.

I haven't tried loading a save made in this scenario, prior to crashing. Like save the state, and immediately load it again. I shall do it today when I come back home.

When I use the same setup, but copy the V21 Experimental 5 files the game is unplayable. The above situations happens in minutes on average. Most of the time it happens 5 to 10 minutes in. To a point that I had to save almost every turn so I could finish a crash site, for instance.

I have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro with 16GB of Ram, with a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD instead of the vanilla HDD. And I'm playing it on a FullHD external monitor. And I have no mods installed.

I hope this report helps. And tell me if you need more info.

I just got the opportunity to test saving and loading when I noticed the glitch I mentioned. I tested this on one of those Massive ships (Carrier type). Loading seems to make the glitch lessen, but it eventually crashed anyways - albeit it was uncharacteristically slow for a Ground Combat. Perhaps it has to do with number of assets loaded into memory?

Saving and loading on the Geoscape had no effect, as the glitch remained even after loading, and it soon crashed.

I haven't tried the latest wrapper recently uploaded to Desura. I'll try using it and see if the glitches I reported continue to happen. The thing is, the glitches are sporadically and sometimes takes a long while to happen on V20hf2, if you copy the V21Experimental files to the previous Wineskin wrapper this happens a lot.

Have you tried to replicate this using V21Exp5? I'll report if anything changes using the newer wrapper.

The latest wrapper seems to be very similar to the one I was using before, upgraded from the previous Wineskin wrapper. The only difference I can see is that new wrapper uses Engine 1.7.13 instead of 1.7.12 I was using. I'll need to reload a previous save, as I'm experiencing a bugged Alien Base Attack. It keeps crashing during the hidden movement screen. Using this wrapper or my custom on does not seem to make any difference in this regard. This however, is a new bug, and it does not seem to be related to the symptoms I've described.

Once I've put in a couple more hours playing with this new wrapper, I'll respond whether I notice the symptoms I described that preluded an imminent crash.

I've been playing V21 Stable Candidate for a little while, and so far it seems quite stable indeed. One odd thing happen after a crash site mission. The geoscape loaded and I wasn't able to use the base buttons. They were unresponsive and in order to get to the base I had to click on the base icon in the geoscape.

I reloaded the autosave the and the buttons worked again.

So far I have not experience any of the glitches I've reported for V20 Hf2 and V21 Exp5. And this I tested with the wrapper I've used when I originally reported problems, as well as the official wrapper downloaded from Desura.