Mac bug reports

If there's interest I can write up a howto for setting up the game in wine - it'd probably be simpler during dev for people to simply do things that way without you having to worry about dual releasing. :)

I had a weird text rendering bug before, but switching to WS8Wine1.2.3 for my engine solved it. Tried two WS9 engines and WS81.5.1 and they had that issue, haven't checked WS8Wine1.3.x or WS8Wine1.4.x

Edited by erutan

Personally, I'm just going to wait. I mean, Chris said that sometime around Thursday he'll be uploading another version, so I'm just going to wait for that instead of downloading a mac version that'll last me two days. Although, making sure that the mac version actually works is really important, too, so maybe I will get it, if only to ensure it loads up properly.

Hey,

Is 17.6 the best/latest version I can download? I standard preordered and stand-alone downloaded it a while back. I was able to play it once in the past with some old build, but last time I tried 17.6 the program would never open for me. I am downloading it again right now in hopes it will work, but I would appreciate any info on an update if possible.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, where is my badge icon? :)

Edited by stevenstill
updated question

• 1 month later...

Hello! I have version 18 hotfix 2 (donwloaded from Desura) and ground combat dosn't work. It shows black screen with "Ground combat loading... Please be patient" text on it and then nothing happens. BGM still plays and I can move my mouse cursor, but the combat doesn't load. I've waited for it as long as 15 minutes. CPU load for Xenonauts process is 0%. Is this a known issue? Everything else apart from that -- base screens, aerial combat -- seems to work just fine.

My machine is MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012, OSX 10.8.4

Edited by n1313
Added machine specs

That build is now obsolete.

If you wait a bit (I'm waiting too) for the v18 Stable Mac release then you can play that. It should be out in a couple days, hopefully. (Honestly, it was supposed to be out within 48 hours of June 3rd, but we've passed that mark already. haha...)

An update to how the download process will work:

Desura and the Humble Store will have the v18 Stable build available for Windows, Mac and Linux. This will not be updated until another stable build is made, ie v19 Stable. This won't be here for quite some time, maybe a month or more.

Steam will have those three builds, and also the v19 Experimental build for Windows only. This v19 Experimental build will be what is being bug tested, worked on, and updated. It will eventually turn into v19 Stable.

The reason it's Windows only is because it takes a lot of work to port the game properly to Mac/Linux, and v19 Experimental will be updated quite a bit, so it would be a waste of effort.

If you would like to play v19 Experimental in OS X, then let me know. I have a Windows version of Steam in a wineskin, which allows me to download Windows-only games. I can download v19 Experimental, get it working in a wineskin, and upload it to a dropbox where you (and others) could download it.

(However, not too many people; dropbox gets upset when you use too much bandwidth. haha)

I'd definitely want that, because right now I can't get hyped properly and start tweeting about how awesome this game it :) But if, as you say, it is a matter of days to get an "official" mac build, then I'd probably just wait for that. That's less trouble for everyone, I guess. Thanks anyways.

BTW, is there a way to get a notification when official build is released?

Can't open the installer .dmg file. I have downloaded it twice, once with torrent and once direct from the link provided by my preorder. The torrent successfully verified when I used "force verify" in Vuse.

Whenever I click to open one of the .dmg files to open it, it says "verifying" for a couple of minutes with a progress bar, then pops us a window with "unable to open dmg, checksum invalid".

Version: v18 stable

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro (2.5Ghz i7 model)

Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Can't open the installer .dmg file. I have downloaded it twice, once with torrent and once direct from the link provided by my preorder.

Whenever I click to open one of the .dmg files to open it, it says "verifying" for a couple of minutes with a progress bar, then pops us a window with "unable to open dmg, checksum invalid".

Same issue, I additionally tried to install it via STEAM, and steam refused to download any files at all.

Is this because of your separation between premium pre-order and non-premium? The humble bundle store didn't tell me anything about that

Mac: 15" Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz i5 model)

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Ok, so looking back a couple of pages I found the comment on wineskin.

I have managed to successfully craft my own wrapper and am now happily playing the windows version on my mac.

Process was:

1 - download windows version

2 - download wineskin

3 - run wineskin, download the latest engine WS9Wine1.6-rc1x

4 - set wrapper version to 2.5.9

5 - create new blank wrapper, cancel both mono and gecko dialogs

6 - extract windows rar to its own folder

7 - open wrapper .app file

8 - click install software, click move folder, select extracted folder

9 - test run to ensure it works

10 - close wrapper app

Next time you open it you should have a working app

Yup. :)

Hey guys, would you like to have a wrapper for the Windows Steam?

Why this is cool:

It allows you to download Windows only games, because the WinSteam.app fools the servers into thinking you're running Windows. Because you've now downloaded the Windows game, you can take it's data and install that into it's own Wineskin (because running it through WinSteam can cause lots of issues, apparently.)

To extract the game from inside WinSteam:

You simply run WinSteam.app, log in, and download whatever game you want. You then quit WinSteam, right click on the .app, and Show Package Contents. You follow the following path to the actual game files, "drive_c / Program Files / Steam / SteamApps / common / <your game folder is here>"

To create a wrapper for this game (I'll use Xenonauts as an example):

Run Wineskin Winery, create a new wrapper (I just install the most recent engine and use it, I've never had any problems so far engine-wise), name it Xenonauts (or whatever you want). Run that new Xenonauts.app, and choose copy folder when asked how to install the program. Follow the steps above to choose the game folder out of Steam, wait for it to copy, and choose Xenonauts.exe as the main executable. You can choose a cool icon, choose the menu bar title (what it shows on the menu bar when running the .app), and other little things. When you close the program, and run Xenonauts.app again it should bring up the game launcher (after a little bit of a wait). I play it in windowed mode to allow me to switch applications (if it's not in windowed mode and I switch apps, when I switch back the menubar is there at the top and it messes with the screen placement by a bit. Not game killing, but easily preventable by playing windowed at the highest resolution.)

Anyway, I'll put the WinSteam.app (minus my games), a Xenonauts.app wrapper (minus the actual Xenonauts game), and a Xenonauts icon (.icns) picture (for you to use if you so wish) in a Dropbox folder, and share the link. I'll update the post when I've got that link.

• 5 weeks later...
Same issue, I additionally tried to install it via STEAM, and steam refused to download any files at all.

Is this because of your separation between premium pre-order and non-premium? The humble bundle store didn't tell me anything about that

Same here;

Mac: 15" Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz i5 model)

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

• 1 month later...

Hi,

In the Xenonauts-V18Stable-Mac.1-build I have problems.

I downloaded it from Desura, dragged it to the applications folder, then executed the game.

The Xenonauts icon jumps up and down for a bit in the activity bar at the bottom, then disappears, then nothing happens. Game doesnt start. When I try again, same thing.

What's wrong? :)

EDIT: Forget my last message :) Seem to be working - just took ages for it to start. Kinda strange - thought it wasnt working but...now its up and running.

Edited by overmind.

You do realize that the game is being developed on Windows, and therefore nothing can be changed on the Mac builds until Stable versions of the Windows build are released, right? The developers have been working tirelessly on Experimental builds all this time, trying to make a stable v19 build that they can send to their porter and have released for OS X.

If you want to play the game, make a wineskin, download the windows version, and install it into the wineskin. It works fine in a new, "vanilla" wineskin.

Simple as that.

Implying that the devs aren't working on anything isn't going to help anything.