Build V13 released!

Well my upgrade is having some issues as well but I'm sure Chris and all of GoldHawk are beavering away at it. I don't want to sound like a dick but come on, this is an alpha and we're all effectively testing a game in production, so a little bit of patience and appreciation for Chris and all that they're doing I'm sure would be appreciated.

I know people are unlikely to bother to log in here and post positive things (as they'll be busy playing xenonauts, I'm sure) but if you look at it from the point of Goldhawk, it must be disheartening to see all the moaning and lack of gratitude. So the latest build has taken a while to be available but crikey, you wouldn't get this with any sort of normal release so all I'm saying is, well done Chris and all of you guys at GoldHawk, I'm really looking forward to the game but take as long as it needs and to the other forumites, try and see it from their point of view. This whole thread is pretty much nothing but moaning and although to you it may seem simple for Chris to put a file on rapidshare and email everyone a password or whatever, realistically, that's just totally impractical and not only that it's a Saturday, let them have a day off every now and then!

...it must be disheartening to see all the moaning and lack of gratitude.

Jeez you really took the wind out of the "I want a golden throne on my own personal Xenonaut Moonbase and I want it NOW, you slackers!" thread I was just typing up. :(

I always thought that all the moaning and whining, and yes I'll certainly be in here somewhere, was squarely aimed at Desura and not at Goldhawk. If anything, it's a sign of how eager we all are to get at the update, if only to be thwarted by the nefarious Desura servers and their seeming issue with verifying and updating a umpteen thousands files at our beck and call.

(In response to T04dSt0n3d'd post)

Also think about the legal agreements that Goldhawk as a company had to go into to have alphafunding set up with Desura. It may very well be that Goldhawk is barred from providing its own service during the period of alphafunding.

I'll add that the developers providing their own service (and keeping security up) would doubtless eat up time/funding that would be better spent on the game itself. Better to let Desura (despite its issues) worry about it instead.

This was going to be my point. I don't think anyone perhaps realises how much bandwidth and hosting will cost when you're hosting a 1.5GB zip file and distributing it when the numer of owners of the game is numbered in the thousands.

I suspect the current agreement, which while painful for Chris to see the complaints, greatly benefits Goldhawk by them not having to worry about all those costs.

I opened a post on desura to see if and when they wake up and make available

the 13° version, since it is already available for download for Mac.

I do not want to install another client on my pc ...

and irritates me greatly, that they put so long to update a link.

Edited by eltharion

I'll add that the developers providing their own service (and keeping security up) would doubtless eat up time/funding that would be better spent on the game itself. Better to let Desura (despite its issues) worry about it instead.

I'm sure Steam would roll out this product in its current state. It has and is with other games. Although I don't know how expensive that host would be.

I don't think it's up to Chris. It's Desura that is mucking about. looking at the uncharacteristic amount of trouble everyone has with the client update Desura probably has a bit of problems everywhere. Has anyone checked up on Desura to see if they have reported any trouble?

I also think that Chris could not do anything about ...

I wrote and posted on the forums & support ... Desura Let's see if they wake up.

Current time: no Answer.

Maybe we could think of an alternative system, maybe a ftp where authorized users

can download the archive file. Of course after getting authenticated.

Ok is just an idea ...

But I am irritated with Desura for non updating the links :mad:

I also think that Chris could not do anything about ...

I wrote and posted on the forums & support ... Desura Let's see if they wake up.

Current time: no Answer.

Maybe we could think of an alternative system, maybe a ftp where authorized users

can download the archive file. Of course after getting authenticated.

Ok is just an idea ...

But I am irritated with Desura for non updating the links :mad:

Same probleme, desura download broken always (mfc error on client) and no direct link to 13.1 :(

Yeah the client has been delivering MCF errors for a couple of weeks on various games about being unable to reach servers (I assume overloaded) but no-one seemed to be mentioning it on their forums (until now!) so I assumed it was just me until you guys all had trouble with the latest Xenonauts.

Still no response from Desura.

The thing is getting ridiculous ...

They have not even responded to my post in support.

I posted a PM to one of the "volunteer" administrators of the site...

Maybe we will get answer.

Edited by eltharion

I do not care if they prefer the client. If they sell a product, and

offer the possibility to download complete version, they must do so.

I asked for an explanation, but I did not had anyone yet.

I've highlighted the important part here. You've bought and paid for a complete copy of Xenonauts when it is finished.

The fact that you also have access to the alpha (and soon to be beta) test versions is just an added bonus.

In short, Desura from the point of view of a sales contract don't have to actually supply and update the alpha build at all, especially not the stand alone executable (which isn't in their interest to host btw as it costs them money to host it and they don't gain anything ie, increased number of people using their Client), so understandably, it's going to be very low priority for them.

I understand your frustration though as you want to get stuck in and it's not a nice situation to be in, but I have to ask, is there any reason why you won't install Desura?

I ummed and ahhed and used the standalone's for a while, but eventually relented. From what I can tell, the Desura client is pretty light and I only run it when I know an update to Xenonauts has been released as you don't need Desura running to play the game.

I've highlighted the important part here. You've bought and paid for a complete copy of Xenonauts when it is finished.

The fact that you also have access to the alpha (and soon to be beta) test versions is just an added bonus.

In short, Desura from the point of view of a sales contract don't have to actually supply and update the alpha build at all, especially not the stand alone executable (which isn't in their interest to host btw as it costs them money to host it and they don't gain anything ie, increased number of people using their Client), so understandably, it's going to be very low priority for them.

I understand your frustration though as you want to get stuck in and it's not a nice situation to be in, but I have to ask, is there any reason why you won't install Desura?

I ummed and ahhed and used the standalone's for a while, but eventually relented. From what I can tell, the Desura client is pretty light and I only run it when I know an update to Xenonauts has been released as you don't need Desura running to play the game.

First, thanks for your understanding.

Maybe I used a tone a little too enforced to voice my frustration.

In the past I used the client Desura, and I had some problems with the software I use.

Now I do not want to risk installing it and then do a bug hunt.

I also understand that we are in August, and are definitely understaffed.

But since it was updated for the Mac version, I do not think it would have

taken too long for the PC.

Anyway, I would appreciated that they had answered me ... two lines.

From what I read I'm not the only one to ask for an update.

Thanks for your reply, it means I'll have to organize, or wait for them to decide otherwise. ;)

Edited by eltharion