I was not expecting that......

I just redownloaded Xenonauts this morning to make sure I had the latest version and was playing all day. Things were going alright, lost a few fighters here and there but nothing serious. Suddenly I receive word that Bogota is under a terrorist attack, my Chinook couldnt possibly reach them and my N. America base was still under construction. In the end the gov was forced to use nukes and in doing so, killed 7k+ civilians with another 13k missing........wow, shyt just got real. I love this! I havent seen another Xcom-based game do this, it really puts things into perspective for the gamer. Great work there, great work.

No, not just you. Just waiting for the buggers to hit Stockholm, then we'll be rid of those holier-than-thou pests with wierd accents...

That said, I still want Swedish soldiers in the game!

And lastly, in all seriousness, yea, it's grave indeed. I do find it kind of funny that a nation's armed forces cannot do what a six man strike team can, but it does set the atmosphere of "Oh God we're all gonna die!" (cookie to whoever gets that reference).

And lastly, in all seriousness, yea, it's grave indeed. I do find it kind of funny that a nation's armed forces cannot do what a six man strike team can, but it does set the atmosphere of "Oh God we're all gonna die!" (cookie to whoever gets that reference).

It's just part of that conflict between realism and gameplay (and abstraction) that keeps coming up on this forum.

Yeah, we know that's realistically, it's absurd that the fate of mankind rests in the hands of a mere 12 person strike team who fly all over the world battling aliens wherever they may show up - it sounds like the X-Files meets GI Joe! Similarly, it's weird that the law enforcement and armies of the victim nations never seem to do much, other than maybe bring in a few local guys with rifles.

The alternative, though - more "realistic" combats with hundreds of Xenonauts, aliens, and bystanders - wouldn't be a turn-based game at all, it'd be some chaotic RTS where there's no squad-level tactics, no tension at the individual level, everyone's faceless, and all your losses are just statistics. (Or it'd be abstracted back down to Civilization-level, where you might have only a dozen units, you're just supposed to remember that each one is an army.) That's just not the game I'm interested in playing.

Why do I get the feeling me being not-so-serious never really carries across on this forum? Is it because I don't use smileys that often? :confused:

More to the point, I agree, and I too like the way Xenonauts plays. It was not meant as criticism on the level of reality in Xenonauts, more of a funny observation. It's still more than what we get in X-COM, where the entire world seemed to have disbanded everything called military or paramilitary and put the one worst guy on the X-COM roster, anyhows.

Also, in my opinion, gameplay > realism. If I want realism I'll go back to the army.

Not to come off as offensive or some such, I do agree that it is an abstraction made to further gameplay, which I like.

Why do I get the feeling me being not-so-serious never really carries across on this forum? Is it because I don't use smileys that often? :confused:

It's just the Internet, dude. Even with smileys and such, it can be hard to "read" people and know what tone they're using, and thus whether you're being attacked or not.

Don't worry, I wasn't offended by what you wrote... in fact, I have yet to be offended by anything anyone has written on this forum. We all seem to be a friendly bunch here.

Similarly, I hope you don't feel that I was lecturing you or attacking you or anything. I was just posting a funny observation (or two) of my own.

No, so I can show those aliens how a true viking fights! Besides, everybody knows the elite of the Swedish Armed Forces come from up north... Or did, anyway, back when we had more than one regiment for the entire region of Middle-Northern Sweden :rolleyes:

But taunting is fun too, and scavenging their remains like a true member of my kin!

It's just the Internet, dude. Even with smileys and such, it can be hard to "read" people and know what tone they're using, and thus whether you're being attacked or not.

Don't worry, I wasn't offended by what you wrote... in fact, I have yet to be offended by anything anyone has written on this forum. We all seem to be a friendly bunch here.

Similarly, I hope you don't feel that I was lecturing you or attacking you or anything. I was just posting a funny observation (or two) of my own.

Very true, I suppose I'm just used to people taking what I write in a less-than-serious manner, or at least I am under that impression. Could be me who's just a daft mammal, who knows?

I was not offended. As you say, this forum is a rather friendly (if somewhat bizarre, at times) bunch, and it's nice to know that even on the Internet civility can exist (as opposed to say YouTube or BiowareSocial).

No harm done and none intended, all is sunshine and rainbows. And raccoons, lots and lots of raccoons!

Edited by Swe_Racoon

I don't know how to say this really, but when I wrote bizarre, I though of Gauddlike and thothkins first. Now I think I know why...

I always did think an extra arm would be useful, to be honest. Two are just not enough in some situations. This warrants further investigation... I wonder if there are some old Soviet nukes forgotten somewhere in the old Soviet states?

It's not a bad idea, and would make nations looks less like all-or-nothing wackos. On the other hand, it's supposed to be all-or-nothing, do or die, kill or be killed, and so forth. The nuking of a city under attack really does bring that point home, and if one reads the Iceland Incident fluff on the page, it's clear conventional forces struggle to defeat the aliens. Not to mention it would leave the nations hesitant to try again.

We had to nuke the damn craft to bring it down, and it still didn't die, after all.

On that note, is there anything left of Iceland? At all?

And raccoons, lots and lots of raccoons!

Typical racoon. Lowering the tone of a perfectly good thread into comments about breeding. :)

but when I wrote bizarre, I though of Gauddlike and thothkins first. Now I think I know why...

I disagreed strongly with this terrible slur on my reputation (such as it is), but my mutated second Chernobyl head thinks that you've got a point.

On that note, is there anything left of Iceland? At all?

Yes, Bjork survives. Now she's 57 feet tall and radioactive. The end battle of Xenonauts is ripped straight out of a Godzilla movie. Chris remains elusive in Barbados with the Kickstarter pennies...

Also, in my opinion, gameplay > realism. If I want realism I'll go back to the army.

Reminded for no reason of a scene in the rather decent Luther Arkwright. You get to see the lineage of our hero and it takes you back to WWI. Normally, for heroic literary license, you'd see him be the latest in a long line of heroes. Here, its just some poor sod freezing in a muddy, rat infested trench asking his mate for a smoke. Then the shell comes over...

Edited by thothkins

Given how the standard military fared in Iceland, I would think they would first go for carpet or cluster bombing rather than ground troops. However, I was still surprised when I was warned at the beginning of my first terror mission that a nuclear bomb was plan B. I guess the guys in charge are really xenophobic now; a scaled response is out of the question.

As for what, if anything, is left of Iceland (besides Bjork) -- maybe the novella will cover that. Someone will have to tell me, though, I didn't find out about it until it was too late to change my donation.

Crap, tried that e-bay, didn't work. I should have figures it out when he said he was a Swiss model and he had as many manfolds so as to be called origami. Crap, who's that at my door!?

I hope I'll be back soon, the men in plaid finally caught up to. I now have some mental truma forming from the mind rape I recieved from thatanal probe. Does anybody know of any cheap sales on al-o-vera?

Given how the standard military fared in Iceland, I would think they would first go for carpet or cluster bombing rather than ground troops. However, I was still surprised when I was warned at the beginning of my first terror mission that a nuclear bomb was plan B. I guess the guys in charge are really xenophobic now; a scaled response is out of the question.

As for what, if anything, is left of Iceland (besides Bjork) -- maybe the novella will cover that. Someone will have to tell me, though, I didn't find out about it until it was too late to change my donation.

Remember that the aliens detonated their craft in some way and caused a massive explosion anyway.

I think of the nuke as a slightly more controlled explosion.

You could hit the area with as many conventional weapons as you want then find you missed one enemy who was able to nuke the place when you went in to clear what was left.

The novella will not be limited to premium pre orders apparently so you should be able to read it for yourself ;)

Does anybody know of any cheap sales on al-o-vera?

You could try ebay...

Remember that the aliens detonated their craft in some way and caused a massive explosion anyway.

I think of the nuke as a slightly more controlled explosion.

Does anyone else picture the self destruct like the scene in Predator, except with a Sebillian tapping into it's wrist bomb.