[v12.1] Smoke grenades are like chemical weapons against aliens

The smoke grenades are too powerful right now (although they greatly simplify some things). Aliens in the smoke die within a single turn.

Each alien has two bodies when you stand over him - alive and dead.

After the mission completes you get a message that you didn't kill anybody, but you captured a ridiculous number of aliens - I got 82 captures! However, I got no points for live captures, so my mission performance was judged to be average.

I don't get this behaviour. Although yesterday I had another strange issue with smoke grenades: 2 out of 8 thrown inside a UFO exploded and left some flames inside the UFO. Maybe they hit some sensitive UFO part that then exploded, but this seems odd behaviour for a grenade overall.

I've taken some screenshots, will upload them when I'm home.

I threw in 8 grenades because the aliens were just standing there in the smoke, they didn't drop down after one turn. Are you doing anything special to make them drop that fast? How many grenades of what type are you carrying? I was carrying about 3 regular and 3 smoke grenades per soldier.

Nope, not doing anything special. This was in the base invasion mission. I just threw gas grenades, and used just the smoke grenades to incapacitate them all. No other weapon is required. The aliens in the smoke squeal for a turn or two, and then fall over & die.

I guess it could be specific to the alien species. I got the ones that look kind-of like the grays.

The smoke effect worked both for smoke grenades and for smoke left over after missiles fired by the APC.

They did drop dead after 3 or 4 turns. I wanted them to drop unconscious so I could capture a live one and research it. And I was looking into the exploding smoke grenade issue (see my bug report on that).

The game summary screen showed I had live ones, but the status said "destroyed". Not sure if I was doing it right, will try to get one in my backpack next time. It didn't offer me new research options.

Maybe we're at different stages in the game - if my aliens are already more evolved; they may not drop from one grenade.

I assumed there would a separate facility (bcause i think its more fun) be but it is entirely possible it will be part of the labs and I've missed that info.

Either case live alien containment and research isn't in the game regardless if its an addon to the laboratory or not.

That the alien containment is not in the alpha or that the alpha is not content complete?

For the fist part I would have to cite the omission of it in all progress updates in the Goldhawk announcements section of the forum.

There is probably some old post somewhere with greater detail but I have no idea which thread in the forementioned section to begin looking in. Perhaps there is some thread here in the bug section bout live alien captures being destroyed that has an official response. Either case there has never (to my knowledge) been a live alien captured in the Xenonaut universe as of yet. But I'm fairly certain Chris has commented on peoples questions about it.

For the second part I'm having trouble finding posts that are crystal clear about the alpha not containing all the content Goldhawk has completed already... and how far exactly the alpha goes.

The best I've found so far is : Build V12.1 Released! thread that contains:

Secondly, things have got to the point where I'm only making very cursory efforts to sanitise the builds as every time I remove something to keep it "secret" it runs the risk of causing more stability issues in the build. I've just taken most of the art and research / manufacturing out, but you may well still be able to encounter parts of the game that are beyond the scope of the alpha if you play long enough. Obviously these won't work very well for you.

There is also one paragraph in the "three builds to beta" thread:

For those unfamiliar with our plans, the beta will allow the players to play right through the game from start to finish for the first time. It will contain all the enemies and the full tech tree. Basically, we would be able to release the game in that state and call it finished (although it wouldn't necessarily be a good game).
Edited by Gorlom

I just threw gas grenades, and used just the smoke grenades to incapacitate them all. No other weapon is required. The aliens in the smoke squeal for a turn or two, and then fall over & die.

Not sure what you mean by this part.

Is it smoke grenades or the gas grenades that were killing the enemy?