Mac users needed!

We need testers for the Mac version. These builds will be less stable then the regular alpha builds, due to less testing so far.

I would be most interested in OSX 10.5 (leopard) and 10.6 (snow leopard) users since I currently have only tested on 10.7 (Lion).

Let me know what model mac you have, OS version and what gen (ie mid-2011 imac with i5 proc running 10.7)

You need to be willing to get your hands dirty with terminal and chat with developers on any mac specific issues you find.

Edit: We have enough testers to last until V13 is released, thanks.

Edited by ko2fan

I can assist, i have 2 macs i can test on. I'm a web developer and not afraid to get info from terminal for you but i would prefer not change any major system settings.

1. mid-2010 macbook pro with i7 2.66, 8gb ram running 10.6

2. mid-2012 retina macbook pro with i7 2.7, 16gb ram running 10.7

i also have parallels running windows 7 on the retina mbp and get a fatal exception when i try to launch from desura. i can get the memory dump file if you would like.

it runs flawlessly through bootcamp on the 2010 mbp

Edited by Brock

• 2 weeks later...

I can help. I have a Lion machine (MBP C2D, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or 9600M GT), a Snow Leopard Server machine (Mac mini Core Duo, intel gma950 graphics), and a Leopard machine (PowerMac G4 Cube with a 1.4 gHz CPU replacement and a Radeon 7500). I have also been experimenting with Mountain Lion on an external drive with my MBP.

However, I have quite limited time. If you could tell me which OS you would like me to focus my efforts on, I'd appreciate it. And if you'd prefer either Lion or Mountain Lion, also let me know whether you'd prefer I use the 9400M or the 9600M.

In unrelated news, oh my god I hate Desura. it is almost bad enough to make me give up on the game. Among literally dozens of other problems with them, this is what I got when I went to try to connect my Desura account to my forum account:

Not Found

The requested URL /desura-connect/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The website was recently restored from an old backup. Its possible some stuff broke. Best to report the error to Chris and see if he can fix it.

Edit: Looks like Chris fixed this issue now.

Edited by ko2fan

Current Known Issues on the Mac port:

Radar - Sometimes acts funny when first placing the base.

TU on ground - Glitch with showing the time units on the ground.

invisible civilians - Most of the time the civilians are invisible, pretty sure this is an issue with case sensitive filenames.

No Ctrl-clicking on inc/dec buttons - currently removed

No right clicking - Should have this resolved pretty soon, but right now, it brings up a context menu upon right clicking, although if you left click to make it go away, the unit will still turn.

Unable assign a single scientist at a time - you can assign 10at a time with a right click.

Please let me know here if you guys find any other issues.

Edit: Saving and Loading now works for me. Not completely tested though.

Edited by ko2fan

Edit: Looks like Chris fixed this issue now.

EDIT: Just tried this again, just reloaded the same URL I tried ten minutes ago, by accident. This time it worked. Go figure.

So I just went to do this again. This time it said that it had sent my history to you guys in a little pop-up. And then, about 10 seconds later, it took me to:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/desura-connect/?userid=<blahblah>&hash=<blahblah>

Which, for me, displays:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@goldhawkinteractive.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

And yeah, still no little medal thingie. So whatever Chris did, I am pretty sure it didn't fix it.

Edited by adamlang

Downloaded the Mac version, opened it up, copied the app to my Applications folder, and launched it, on 10.7.4. (I'll get to it on 10.6 later.) Result: it opens a window, sits for 20 seconds, crashes. Run it again: it opens a window, sits for 5 seconds, crashes differently. Run it a third time: it crashes the same way it did the first time. I emailed you a crash log to the email address you sent me the download info from. If you need anything more from me, feel free to let me know.

Can you launch from Terminal? The crash reports are notoriously useless at actually telling you the problem, whereas its often output to the terminal. Its likely due to missing assets or libraries.

Edit: I never got any crash log, my email is ko2fan [at] gmail [dot] com

Edited by ko2fan

Ah, the address from which you sent the notification about where to find the download was a hotmail.com address.

Anyway, this is one of the two crashes. (The faster of the two. I don't seem to be able to make it crash the slower way when running from the command line.)

objc[9152]: Object 0x675020 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking - break on objc_autoreleaseNoPool() to debug

objc[9152]: Object 0x675220 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking - break on objc_autoreleaseNoPool() to debug

objc[9152]: Object 0x675360 of class __NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking - break on objc_autoreleaseNoPool() to debug

objc[9152]: Object 0x675260 of class __NSCFData autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking - break on objc_autoreleaseNoPool() to debug

RendererID = 0x0102260e

kPublisherName not set when creating user data directories. They will have the name PlayFirst. Please set kPublisherName in pfPreInit.

, version 1.0.1.10.

2012-07-25 17:34:42.515 Xenonauts[9152:407] invalid share context

2012-07-25 17:34:42.516 Xenonauts[9152:407] invalid context

GL Renderer Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M OpenGL Engine

GPU is NOT X1600

GPU is NOT NVidia 7300

##### : Missing string for label ''

##### : Missing string for label ''

GPU is NOT GMA950

##### : Missing string for label '0'

Segmentation fault: 11

Edited by adamlang

Are the Mac builds shipping with stripped symbols? If so, consider not stripping the next few builds -- it'll bloat the executables something fierce, but the OSX crash reports will then include a symbolic backtrace, making it much easier to see at a glance what's exploding.

See also the crash analysis tool CrashPool and the crash report collection framework SFBCrashReporter, both of which might be useful.

Not sure what you mean by 'at the limit' but I can't imagine why 4 gb would be some magic number.

If you're having trouble getting it to people, I'll be happy to give you a place to upload it to. (The MS drive thing is a HORRID user experience, which I certainly blame on MS and not you, but god is it awful.) I don't mind spending an hour downloading a 5 gb build, although since the vast majority of your data is probably assets I can't imagine it would even be that big with the symbols un-stripped.

Incidentally, I'm fully capable of running any diagnostic tools you like, have the full xcode installed on both of my machines, etc.

Edited by adamlang

The skydrive has a space limit and im a few hundred kilobytes away from it.

I have my own server but a 20gb bandwidth limit per month, but if people are comfortable with inserting new files inside the .app I can upload just the executable, which would save you guys needing to download another 4+gb.

I PM'd Chris about packing assets in Xenonauts for all targets in order to address this problem upstream.

One solution to efficiently update is rsync, which OSX already ships. Only catch is we'd need an rsync server, and rsync is inefficient with lots of clients syncing the same large trees... but then again I can't imagine there's that many Xenonauts Mac beta users. In that case, I'd be happy to volunteer an rsync server: 100 megabits, US, IPv4+IPv6. No 4 GB limit either. PM me if you're interested.

Edited by wglynn

A problem I found is, when engaging in battle it says the usual, "this may take awhile", but then it black screens. I've waited for awhile and it still hasn't loaded. Also the game goes from very laggy to super fast. I am on a 2008, Mac OSX Version 10.8 with a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.