Will Xenonauts have to undergo the Steam Greenlight procedure?

Okay, before you read the rest of this post, there's a webpage you need to go see. Go click on this link and read it if you don't know anything about Steam Greenlight.

Back? Right then. I know that Chris announced that Goldhawk had got a deal to have Xenonauts on Steam. Goody goody. And this was announced a while ago. Even better. But now, with this new way of determining the order that Steam distributes games - a way which will fundamentally change some of the ways games will be distributed on Steam - will Goldhawk be retroactively required to undergo the new Steam greenlighting procedure? I'm not going to wave my arms about and start screaming, but I will be annoyed - with Steam - if Goldhawk has to do that.

Even better. But now, with this new way of determining the order that Steam distributes games - a way which will fundamentally change some of the ways games will be distributed on Steam - will Goldhawk be retroactively required to undergo the new Steam greenlighting procedure?
As I understood it public greenlight was an alternative way to get a game on steam, not the only way?

It didn't say anywhere that they would remove the internal greenlight groups. Frankly doing that before they even see how the experiment pans out would be very odd... to say the least. Since it's the developers choice to put it up on greenlight (and can take it down at any time) I don't see how Valve could force a game to participate if it has already been accepted. They might ask Chris, but denying him unless he takes part in the experiment seems like an uncharacteristically douchy thing to do.

PS. Is this public greenlight service kind of like open beta testing?

Edited by Gorlom

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of getting Xenonauts onto Steam, any idea when we can hope/expect to see that occur? Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about Desura, but in order to play a number of my games now, I have to have several different 'PC Game Management' services. Origin, UPlay, Steam, Windows Live... Having Desura purely to let me play Xenonauts is more program than I'm personally wanting to have clog up my laptop's limited HDD space.

I assume it'll be on steam as the completed product, seeing as steam isn't too friendly for putting out beta updates (which is where desura comes in as an indie platform favourate and steam's greenlight changes are valve looking to muscle in on the new alpha sourcing/indie model).

BTW, Gor, how de frick do I get my preorder status shown? I got the premium preorder, but I can't figure out how to display it.

As for the zip, I went with the service they put forward for Xenonauts when I made my purchase. I'm just hoping to get mine through steam since a majority of my games now run through Valve's service.

Have you followed the steps in "how to claim your preorder badge"?

Have you looked up "how to download Xenonauts without using Desura"?

If you have the nonclient version I don't see why you couldn't just add the game to your steam game list and launch it through there?

The game will eventually be available through steam (Chris has a deal with the guys over at valve), but most likely not until it goes retail/is officially released.

• 5 weeks later...

The public Greenlight process on Steam is up.

Found some stuff like project zomboid, neoscavanger and a few kickstarter projects etc..

Also found a game called Steam marines. It's a roguelike turnbased squadmovement strategy game.

Open alpha download here

There are a lot of 2D games in the greenlight process. But the interface so far seems a bit troublesome to navigate since the order of the games appears to be random every time you load the page? =S

Just flipping through the pages I saw most games 2-3 times by the time i reached the last pages. I must have missed a lot of games.