[V12.1] Invisible alien

Hi (again)...

This bug occurred in the last build, but still:

sometimes, aliens are invisible (the red icon is here, and you can shoot at him, but the sprite is invisible). However, when the alien dies, the sprite of death and the body are here.

Moreover, the soldier who spoted the alien "sees" him, even if he looks on the opposite direction after.

I made a few screenshots, but I can't find them on my CPU... Where are they kepts by xenonauts ?

We have had this before a few builds back.

If there is an invisible alien it's most likely the sprite is missing or the path to it has a typo. Could you please tell us which alien it is? race, rank and weapon it is carrying are all important as the three of them together determine which sprites are used.

Yep, I've been having this since about 4 or 5 versions back.

I don't think it's as simple as a missing sprite, as it often occurs right next to an actual alien, and it occurs midway through a game. Sorry, it's tough to explain but, imagine this:

A Xenonaut trooper closes towards a crashed Scout and in doing so, spots a lone Sebillian. There's no error at this time. The Xenonaut shoots and hits the Sebillian with no issue. End turn.

Next time it's the players turn, he selects the same Xenonaut and goes to take a second shot. However, his line of sight to the Sebillian he previously shot, who hasn't moved, is blocked. When the player moves his cursor one tile away from the Sebillian, towards his Xenonaut who's lining up the shot, he sees that the game is registering a second target directly in front of the lone Sebillian.

There's clearly nothing visible though. He has a hit % displayed on this phantom target, and so takes the shot...

Now; at this point I've had one of two things happen:

- The shot is simply absorbed.

- The shot disappears into the empty target, and the original actual Sebillian dies.

Sorry, that's the only way I can describe this issue. It happens to me a hell of a lot.

That doesn't seem to be the same problem though jimbob, the OP says a corpse shows up. And gives the impression that the xenonaut spotting the invisible alien (as in showing icon) without any other alien there. Since last time you mentioned this I believe you said that the ground battle could end without killing these phantoms of yours?

Jimbob is your phantom alien showing a shadow? Moxar, is yours?

My phantom alien is here, I just can't "see" him on the screen, but I can kill him. He is showing a shadow.

I got more informations (this bug just occured):

Caesan guard corpse

wearing Heavy plasma

Facing North-West before dying (He fell facing NW).

Edited by Moxar

I'm not sure this is related but i'm having a similar problem in build 12.11 - I can see a shadow of the alien on the floor, but their's no alien. At the same time their are other aliens in the same ground mission that do appear. After a few turns it ended in my computer being frozen and having to cold boot. Since build 12.0 it seems that the builds are only getting less stable from version to version :(

(using win 7 too. my rig is a Asus rampage III formula, core i7 950, HD 6950 crossfire, 2X OCZ Vertex 2 60GB @ Raid 0)

EDIT: I ran into the invisible alien once again and killed one of them. When standing over the corpse its name was a "Haridan" or something of that sort, so indeed we're talking about a new alien with missing sprites.

Edited by raziel1981

Okay, I've just had this issue multiple times and there's definitely no shadow beneath the phantom for me. Also, I've set the number of occupants for the UFOs to always spawn the same number of enemies, and each time I can account for that number of aliens and the phantom target appears above and beyond that number, so I don't think this is a case of an alien being present but without the correct sprite. Does the shadow move in your games? If so then yeah, that's definitely missing sprites. The fake target in my experience never moves or does anything. This is a real mystery...

• 3 weeks later...

My shadow aliens move, and die, leaving a corpse. Will check the type and what weapon it's carrying next time. I've seen it happen 2 time. AFAIK they did not fire at me.

*edit* happened again last night, have some screenshots this time. Will opload when I'm home. Now I can confirm one of 2 encountered shadows on a map shot at me, thus they are functional. The issue is cosmetic.

Edited by dekamme

In the first pic I highlighted the alien shadow. The next one targetting him, then his corpse. In the last one I had a soldier standing on top of him, so you can see what type of alien it is.

Shadow07combined.jpg

For those who don't know how to make a screenshot:

Ingame press "print screen" on your keyboard

ALT-TAB back to windows

open a picture editor (like Paint)

Paste (ctrl-v)

Save as jpg

Shadow07combined.jpg

Shadow07combined.thumb.jpg.a4d9d32d3dae1

• 2 years later...

I thought the invisibility might be a feature, since a mind control was attempted immediately before. All I could see was that he had a red head, don't think it's the Leader since he wasn't in the command center. Since this was so unusual, we tried to beat him down with batons, game CTD. :(

Correction: it was the Leader.

Edited by screeg

Please don't resurrect bug threads from two years ago - this was a bug in a build long ago. Please create a new one if you're experiencing this in V1.09. If you are, please also provide a save game from the mission if possible so we can try and recreate the situation.