[V12] Civilians not having any sense of self preservation.

Yes, the civvies are still using placeholer AI. It will be updated when the AI coder finishes it. (he was brought onto the project shortly before the kickstarter project launched ircc, so he hasn't had as much time as the other coders to do his stuff.)

Although I find it to be nostalgically accurate to how I recall the civvies acting in X-com :P

Sure, it may be the best available cover. It might not be fully ablaze, or it could be nearer the edge of the map than another building. But there's always a chance that the civilian will be jumping out of the fire and into the frying pan by choosing to do so. It's hard to imagine anyone running towards a fully ablaze building. Not in a fully sane way or unless something precious was in there, like their Xenonauts game.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion: Have the civilians run towards the dropship whenever Xenonauts get close. I could imagine the Xenonauts telling the civvies "run for cover at our dropship". They may get in the line of fire for one turn, but after this they'll be out of the way.

Makes sense for non-panicking civvies to go to an area cleared by the Xenonauts. Their bio's state they have a history in armed forces, I'd imagine them being experienced in telling civvies what to do to get out of danger.

Shouldn't be too hard to code this into the AI as well either.

I think we should find some crawled under a desk. Cold war means "duck and cover" trainings.

Thothkins: I'm for the old Russian tactic of shooting any non-civvie that's running the wrong way. Deserters deserve to die. If they were too weak to take on aliens, they shouldn't have come to Xenonauts.

Name: When civvies flock your forces, you end up shooting them with stray bullets most of the time. I think too many of us have experienced NPC/follower bad line-of-sight behaviour in other games to repeat that. They should get behind your forces, not flock them. (hmm, perhaps using them as a meat shield isn't that bad an idea).

Mace: or in the bedroom? "Susie, it's the end of the world, you don't want to die a virgin do you?"...

Thothkins: I'm for the old Russian tactic of shooting any non-civvie that's running the wrong way. Deserters deserve to die. If they were too weak to take on aliens, they shouldn't have come to Xenonauts.

Ouch. Harsh. Why not give the group of civvies a single pistol between them and send them back into the combat to soften the aliens up for your Xenonauts :)

Mace: or in the bedroom? "Susie, it's the end of the world, you don't want to die a virgin do you?"...

From the Bed: "Hey do you mind?! We're trying to enjoy the end of the world, here!"

Xenonaut: puts hand over eyes and walks through bedroom following the Caesian that crashed through it before him. "Ah, sorry folks..ah, don't mind me...oh hello vicar....um."

LOL! And I use that acronym very sparingly.

Pistol: nah, that's not that creative. Reality has people strapping bombs to their bodies and setting them off. Why not set them ablaze, then point them towards the aliens? The screams should disorient them, the frantic jumping around messes with accuracy, and when they meet it's - nothing like the smell of burnt alien in the morning.

Bed habits: Seeing how our species procreates may have scared the Caesian off. I've met some that scare me off - people can be quite nasty. I'd imagine Billy running for the aliens, chased by Susie holding a pink toy, him screaming "that wasn't worth it! Please kil me!".

By no way is that related to why I was referencing that I met some that scare me off.

Ahh, now how did I end up on this topic... Time for a whisky refill.