Build V12.1 Released!

There have be some famous arguments on the subject of different ammo types in threads past. But the long and the short of is that from those arguments it turns out that Chris isn't going to introduce many, if any special ammo types in vanilla. However the framework seems to be there to mod it in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I had something to say but was distracted by the 50 cal goodness. Ah yes, going to try to download the latest version and see where we are at. I am really exited about the game, but I try not to visit too often on the old 'watched pot never boils' theory. I'm hoping that I'll log in one day and see a steam download code waiting for me... ahh good times ahead!

Apart from that the integrity and trajectory of the projectile would be royally fapped after it hits the first obstacle, it would still have killing power. Fine against a thin wooden wall, but shooting through concrete would seem odd with a rifle, since hv is a tag. Unless we can change the effectiveness of said individual tags or how much resistance a given wall has against it.

When an operation that shouldn't take more than a few minutes at tops takes half an hour, it's more than just slow. Running validation on a 5GB game in Steam takes 90 seconds (and isn't even needed for updates), whereas Desura validating a 1GB game takes 15 minutes, not to mention the update process being instant on Steam save for the downloading part, where Desura tinkers around another 5+ minutes after the download, for even a tiny <1MB update.

I don't have that big of a problem with it, there's plenty of other stuff to do, but it still is ridiculously slow in comparison.

(anyways, it's Desura's fault, not Xenonauts'. Either way being the first contact with the service, I have hard time justifying buying anything through them if there are any alternatives)

the difference is that steam only checks a few lines in a file for validation, while desura actually checks the files. desura also will allow you to play one of their games while another is downloading, instead of pausing the download. desura will provide more info if their is a problem due to their process, which is good for developing games. overall i think desura is an upgrade over steam, though it hardly beats steam in every area.

Apart from that the integrity and trajectory of the projectile would be royally fapped after it hits the first obstacle, it would still have killing power. Fine against a thin wooden wall, but shooting through concrete would seem odd with a rifle, since hv is a tag. Unless we can change the effectiveness of said individual tags or how much resistance a given wall has against it.

[*]Hypervelocity Projectiles: if these projectiles strike an object, they will do enough damage to destroy it and will then continue down their flight path until their damage potential is exhausted (so you can potentially shoot through a building and out the other side). The first example of this is the AP rocket, which is a starting rocket launcher ammunition type, but more powerful weapons that use this will appear in the beta.

[*]Windows: There are now designated window tiles in the submap editor. Any projectile that strikes them is temporarily counted as a hypervelocity projectile, so it will do enough damage to shatter the window then keep flying along its flight path. So you can now shoot aliens through windows.

therefore concrete being tougher will leave less force remaining for damage, or stop the round all together.

as far as deflection of the round (real life wise), that has a lot to do with hardness and mass. a thin wooden wall lacks both hardness and mass, though a window has hardness, so when using non AP ammo the round will deflect slightly depending on range, so normally a long range shot using the wrong ammo with a target some distance for the window might result in a miss.

Edited by jamoecw

I have the problem that the ground combat missions look every time the same (don't know if this is a bug or just not implemented yet). All houses are on the same place, just sometimes the ufo is on another place. Will there be in the release version of the game some more alternation ? In the original UFO there were different types of houses (big, small) and in every mission they were on another place, sometimes just one house, sometimes 4 or 5 of them. So every mission looked different from the other. I miss this alternation in this build of the game. After some missions you exactly know where you can walk along and there is no real exploring of the map...