Development Questions

Hey,

I was wondering is Xenonauts made with an engine or did you all go from the ground-up(using SDL+OpenGl, etc, etc).

The reason I ask is related to porting the game over to other systems. It sometimes is easier to port things over when it is made from the ground-up then using engines, but it is also true visa-versa.

I hope to hear from you all soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you all are using C++ and OpenGl with SDL for sounds and input...

They are using some engine suggested to Chris by the first coder he hired. That coder proved to be all bark and no bite though (judging by the posts Chris made on reddit), but by the time they realized they had already invested heavily in using that engine.

As far as I understand they have replaced the code they got from that guy already but they decided to stick with the engine despite it's problems rather than scrapping everything and starting over from nothing.

2) The biggest mistake we made was the engine choice. No joke, the engine Xenonauts uses was used to make Diner Dash. It can't handle 3D models. We're stuck with it because our first coder (who left two years back) chose it, and it is hugely unsuitable and we fight it every day. Use something like Unity3D instead - we'll use that for our next game.

We've turned the weakness into a strength in some way by making retro-style 2D tilesets, which suits the vibe of the game and a lot of X-Com fans really like them. I think the final effect will be good. But if I never see another 2D tile in my life once this game is done, that will be to soon.

Edited by Gorlom