Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My suggestions list - Snipers, deployable weapons, hovercrafts, etc...

We have snipers in this game?

I'm pretty sure they're just dedicated marksmen (aka, a normal squaddie with a more accurate weapon) rather than a proper long range sniper.

raziel1981, while several of us forumites have critiqued your ideas, please don't stop the ideas from flowing! Creativity isn't like a slot machine, you don't go broke pumping out thoughts. Come out with more ideas! That being said, the ideas I have seen Chris pay most attention to are UI or gameplay improvements and anything that is a simple but effective improvement on an Xcom mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Caine View Post
    raziel1981, while several of us forumites have critiqued your ideas, please don't stop the ideas from flowing! Creativity isn't like a slot machine, you don't go broke pumping out thoughts. Come out with more ideas! That being said, the ideas I have seen Chris pay most attention to are UI or gameplay improvements and anything that is a simple but effective improvement on an Xcom mechanic.
    What Max said. ^^

and a few smilies

Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzles View Post

I'm pretty sure they're just dedicated marksmen (aka, a normal squaddie with a more accurate weapon) rather than a proper long range sniper.
    We have long ranges in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzles View Post

Technically we have precision riflemen as that is the weapon type they use.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

Awards:
    Posting Award
    1 Snipers
    Having a spotter bonus seems fine, but so many battlescapes are quite small, the bonus would kick in a fair amount of the time during normal deployment, and not form a designated spotter.
    Hopefully the alien AI will make the, smarter than the original game, so they can effectively use flanking and sniping etc when they need to.
    There have been hints of alien abilities that will make them more effective too. Cloaking would be fun as per Apocalypse along with force fields 
    I’m happy that each of the weapons has it’s own place in the world, and it’s a concern that your sniper rifle could take on aspects of other weapons. One plus to Xenonauts is that hopefully you’re not going to be left with cookie cutter soldiers in the end game, all using the same weapons.

(2) E=MC^2 can kill you...
    I’m reminded of D2’s corpse explosion, expanded into destructible terrain. This is quite a step up form where things currently are. Is there a reason why the aliens couldn’t convert the nearest building into an energy burst in turn 1 killing all of your guys?

3 EMP…
    The original had a defence that would double the chances of you hitting an incoming UFO. In addition there was also the Mind Shield type defence that would prove the bases chance of staying hidden. Both were useful additions to the standard base defences.
    If the aliens had this technology, I’d expect them to use it from orbit, preventing interception launches… forcing shielding technology research on either side.

Used on a Battlescape, it’s a bit of a game changer as you suggest. Setting up EMPs would disable large amounts of equipment. Is it frustrating to have the aliens knock out all of your advanced equipment?

(4) Mines
    Proximity grenades were in the original, and would be a good addition.

(5) Deploayable equipment
    Using heavier weapons forces a balance issue, where the aliens then should get heavier weapons. Beofre you know it, everything around the Chinook is getting bombed in turn 1.

(6) Alien artillery
    Having a mission to prevent the setup of some nefarious alien device/weapon would be fine. It’s a sort of terror mission though isn’t it, if the governments can use denial weapons in the event of any failure.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Max - thanks for your support. I don't mind having my ideas being critiqued, I just wanted to share a few that I think could possibly enhance the game experience. I might be wrong or not, but we all really want the same thing - the best Xenonauts experience we can get.

thothkins -

(1) A spotter would have to equip its optical equipment as a weapon while using his skill to aid a sniper. What I'm suggesting isn't meant as an uber-game-killing bonus but more as a condition for long-range-sniping. How long-range are we talking about - say 1.0-1.5kms (needs to be translated into game tiles) and perhaps with the sci-fi weapons becoming available 2.0-2.5kms. I think that this is a plausible addition to game mechanics as far as sniping goes. As far as the spotter goes - you should keep in mind that you are basically stranding a second soldier to use binoculars or any other optical device instead of being available to open fire. I don't see this in any way becoming a game breaking skill, it can easily be tweaked as a limited bonus or used as a condition to sustain current chances to successfully hit a target at longer distances.
    (2) It could be justified that they can't overload/etc their weapons so its limited to a certain amount of energy/mass. I have to emphasize here to all the responses that kicked off with this idea into nuclear weapons, E=Mc^2 doesn't necessarily mean that you're nuking the aliens. It says exactly what it is -> that Energy is Mass and vice versa. My idea is just to use energy/mass conversion as an alien technology. I just thought it would be nice as a new form of tech that no one tried so far in these kind of games and would be quite original. Didn't say it was a perfect idea...
    (3) In the geoscape an EMP weapon could easily be used to soften up an alien base before attacking it or on the more massive alien ships. This could be tricky to implement, and i'd dare say that its far more obvious in battlescape when dealing with the Androns and/or any heavy platform that might be deployed against your team.
    (4) I wholly agree on the prox. mines, I also think that AP mines could be a lot of fun (for aliens and humans). Perhaps using spider mines like in Crusader - No regret? Or a small swarm of mechanical spiders like in minority report that could hunt down a target in a building? Just think of this as an alien attack weapon - now there's true terror for you.
    (5) Sadly, this is true. There's a great deal of consideration to be put into here. This could be dealt with the actual deployment of the equipment taking a few turns to avoid exactly this kind of situation and forcing the player to move their forces as fast as possible away from the starting point.
    I still think it could be used magnificently with the suppression mechanic. Just think of the challenge and tactical advantage that could be gained by deploying a heavy machinegun near a UFO's entrance. Of course the aliens wouldn't run into the fire after the first few that went out the UFO door.
    (6) I still think this would be a GREAT terror mission.
    Last edited by raziel1981; 06-30-2012 at 09:28.

Sorry I'm still hung up on this one.
    2) If it's not meant to be nuclear delivery then the "tech" is merely the energy storage right? Would the mass converted into energy be electrical, heat emission, laser, plasma, radiological or reality altering (believe the AL game had warp technology) when it is fired out of the gun?

Anyway the problem I have is that you want to use stable objects found on the battlefield for this mass conversion:

Quote Originally Posted by practical example from wikipedia
    So the energy equivalent of one gram (1/1000 of a kilogram) of mass is equivalent to:

89.9 terajoules
    25.0 million kilowatt-hours (≈25 GWh)
    21.5 billion kilocalories (≈21 Tcal) [17]
    85.2 billion BTUs[17]

or to the energy released by combustion of the following:

21.5 kilotons of TNT-equivalent energy (≈21 kt) [17]
    568,000 US gallons of automotive gasoline
    What you're proposing is overkill. There is no point in taking matter from the surrounding area since a single gram is already so much ammunition, you could simply carry it with you. (Assuming total conversion, but since you said it would be possible from any stable matter instead of radioactive matter I see no reason why that shouldn't be possible)
    The idea strikes me as an oversimplified concept of the mass-energy equivalence. and we already have energy sources in the form of allienium which I assume will be using some kind of mass to energy conversion to power the lasers and plasma weapons.

Well it can always be curbed down to something milder...Its just a suggestion anyway, I didn't say it was a wholly thought out idea, but I'm fairly certain that with a bit of imagination it can be polished into a more feasible technology (at least as far as an alien invasion considered game goes).

I simply find the whole ballistic->laser->plasma tree quite repetitive and boring to be honest (since its been redone so many times by now).
    Alenium will probably take the exact role of Elerium from XCOM which will be then used as a component for all alien-tech energy weapons so I don't consider the mass to energy conversion technology expressed through it. At least not in the way I picture it.

I don't fully understand how you picture it though. That is my problem with the suggestion

There will be a fourth tier that Chris hasn't unveiled yet. (he has revealed that there will be a fourth tier, just not what it is)