[v12 GC] Shooting at large objects has too low hit rate

While assaulting an alien base where you have to destroy some machines I found it really annoying that shots fly all over the place when shooting at them. Those machines are bigger than my drop ship, a blind person could shoot in their vague direction and not miss. I actually found it more effective to target the ground near them than it is to target the machines (they look like power generators)

This effect is exaggerated because when you miss a target the shots will land in some random square around the object but seeing as the generator is several tiles big the shots fly off at 90 degree angles if you shoot point blank.

You would assume the best soldiers in the world would be able to hit stationary objects.

While assaulting an alien base where you have to destroy some machines I found it really annoying that shots fly all over the place when shooting at them. Those machines are bigger than my drop ship, a blind person could shoot in their vague direction and not miss. I actually found it more effective to target the ground near them than it is to target the machines (they look like power generators)

This effect is exaggerated because when you miss a target the shots will land in some random square around the object but seeing as the generator is several tiles big the shots fly off at 90 degree angles if you shoot point blank.

You would assume the best soldiers in the world would be able to hit stationary objects.

This is possibly the funniest bug I've seen yet.

If this is happening, there's obviously some code that's forcing a miss when you shoot a target, because the normal 'random' bullet trajectory doesn't go off by 90 degrees- it's more like a 30-degree arc. If they removed whatever code is forcing the 'random' miss bullets to go out of that arc, then they'll still hit the giant stationary object that you're next to, which ought to be fine.

As Spinal noted, the code as-is doesn't prevent you from just hitting them anyway, you just have to target a square rather than the generators themselves.