Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier ratios?

Soldier ratios?

Are those moddable?

And by that I mean ratio of which type of soldier you're likely to get. From which country, which sex ,etc...

ATM it looks like the male/female ratio is 50/50. I want to change that.
    Possibly even the specific stat range for each sex.
    Also, possibly ratios of different nationalities.

Go to Xenonauts > assets > soldiernames. There are some numbers you can change for the nationality chance

Quote Originally Posted by Khall View Post
    Go to Xenonauts > assets > soldiernames. There are some numbers you can change for the nationality chance
    As far as I can tell, all that does is limit the pool of names which actually pop up. If you drop those numbers severely (the game crashes if you go lower than 1) then you'll just have an army of people that looks just like it currently does, but with a small handful of names recycled for everybody.

I've been waiting for someone to figure out how to actually change real stuff, too.

Sergeant
    AFAIK, the whole lot of it is hardcoded into the executable. The only thing in the easily moddable files affecting soldier generation that I've seen, has been their age. (aside from the name/regiment stuff that is easily accessible)

Probably best to request the nationality/gender selection criteria added to one of the config files.
    Chris might get that done before beta so people can play with it if you ask nicely.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

I done what you suggested Khall, but I can't change anything... Is there another way to change the male to female ratio?

Open it in Notepad to change it. I'm not 100% sure based on other comments, but I assumed changing the numbers in

<Nation name="Canadian" chance="5">

for example would change the nationality ratios.

I'm not sure there is a way to change the male to female ratio.

If you open up the female names file and reduce all of the female chances by 50% while keeping or increasing the values in the male soldier name file would that have the effect you want?

Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauddlike View Post
    If you open up the female names file and reduce all of the female chances by 50% while keeping or increasing the values in the male soldier name file would that have the effect you want?
    The effect will be the game crashing on launch, so not really. If set to zero anyways. Altering the chances in the name file doesn't seem to do much, aside from determine where the soldier comes from. The male/female decision is made in the executable itself (at 50-50 ratio), it just digs the name/experience from the xml.
    Last edited by Kaguya; 06-24-2012 at 10:48.

Sounds like the game should just generate a soldier then pick a name/nationality and only worry about female portraits if that soldier ends up with a female flagged name.
    Would be much easier to deal with.
    Maybe the system will get a few tweaks later.