Trashman, what plasma rifle with a five shot clip? In EU original you didn't need to make plasma guns or the ammo for them. The bad guys obligingly provided you with both for free as you looted them from their still smoking corpses. Anyone that had to make ammo for plasma was doing something monstrously wrong.

I'm giving theorethical examples. I don't like being chained to any game and the old X-Com certanly has plenty of flaws in that department.

Weapons and balance are stricly a product of game design.

Ammo can be made scarace or expensive in may ways. You can have rifles explode like in new XCOM, so you have to build them or stun the alien. You can have ammo cells be rare or expire over time, so you can't really stock on with dead aliens.

I just carried them in backpacks until needed in actual combat and gave soldiers "safe items" in hands. Alien mind control AI would not remove the safe weapon, IIRC, even if it had no use for it.

One of the few exploits that worked.

You can't collect aliens weapons and use them later, you make it yourself.

are you talking bout Xenonauts, EU94 or EU2012? Max seems to be talking about EU94 and Trashman is talking about made up stuff unrelated to any existing game to make a point of some sort. Hwp seems to be talking about both EU games but mostly about EU94

no, but making it clear to others what you are talking about would help the discussion. It looked like you were making claims that was a factual example from somewhere, rather than just being possible design choices (that to my knowledge noone has even considered... :S)

Look, I had no intention of engaging you since I know how much you hate discussing with me and think I'm nitpicking. I was directing that post towards Betour to clear up which game he was talking about.

Grenade launcher will be available to buy? I think it should. And heavy machine gun :P.
Nope, grenade launcher will not be in the official release. It might appear in a mod if someone figures out how. the grenade launcher isn't different enough from roles filled by the rocket launcher or the regular grenades to really warrant it.
Maybe isn't different but it have very nice shooting effect. :(

Ok. I found picture of it in UFO: Alien Invasion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Alien_Invasion

I was playing UFO AI some time 1 or 2 years ago. And this kind of weapon is very usable. People will like it. Maybe there is chance to modify grenade throwing into this weapon? :(

X-V, every new weapon has to be animated and rendered out for a Xenonaut soldier spritesheet in 7 different armour sets. From what we have been told, it is a significant amount of time, labour and money to do that. You have to make more of a compelling case than "this would be cool" if you want the work put in.

X-V, every new weapon has to be animated and rendered out for a Xenonaut soldier spritesheet in 7 different armour sets. From what we have been told, it is a significant amount of time, labour and money to do that. You have to make more of a compelling case than "this would be cool" if you want the work put in.
I don't know how long it took, but Quartmaster was able to add the MP5 to the game complete with sprites if I remember right. Just adding a weapon without new sprites (i.e. using something that looks similar instead) isn't too tough. I could easily see adding a grenade launcher using some of the shotgun sprites. IRL, a grenade launcher is just a big single shot shotgun and they are quite similar in appearance. Alternately, one could take the existing shotgun sprites and modify them fairly quickly into a grenade launcher. After further thought, I'm wondering whether or not a grenade launcher would be used by many people hence whether it's worth adding as an "official" weapon. They wouldn't have anymore killing power than a hand grenade and the Xenonauts seem to have the arms of a Thunder God in this game, so the real life range advantage hardly applies. Edited by StellarRat

I don't know how long it took, but Quartmaster was able to add the MP5 to the game complete with sprites if I remember right. Just adding a weapon without new sprites (i.e. using something that looks similar instead) isn't too tough. I could easily see adding a grenade launcher using some of the shotgun sprites. IRL, a grenade launcher is just a big single shot shotgun and they are quite similar in appearance. Alternately, one could take the existing shotgun sprites and modify them fairly quickly into a grenade launcher. After further thought, I'm wondering whether or not a grenade launcher would be used by many people hence whether it's worth adding as an "official" weapon. They wouldn't have anymore killing power than a hand grenade and the Xenonauts seem to have the arms of a Thunder God in this game, so the real life range advantage hardly applies.

with sprites?.... groundbattle carried by soldiers sprites? I thought it was just the "inide the inventory" sprite (singular) that he added?

Ah, not quite, StellarRat. QM made spectre files that used existing spritesheets. I'm talking about the whole nine spritesheet yards. Brand new ones! That being said, having done a bit of research into grenade launchers, I can only find one dedicated weapon suitible for the time period - the M79, and the silloette for the shotgun would, as you say, do for the launcher.

no, but making it clear to others what you are talking about would help the discussion. It looked like you were making claims that was a factual example from somewhere, rather than just being possible design choices (that to my knowledge noone has even considered... :S)

Oh, they were considered. And used in various games or mods.

It's not like I'm the first person to think of them.:o

what exactly is the difference between grenades and this weapon?

More range and can shoot few times (also sentry shoots). Maybe even can shoot to buildings (second or higher floor).

Don't implement it if it's so hard. Game is good enought without it :). Maybe we will have new weapons in some upgrade pack v1.5 or mod pack.

• 10 months later...

Is there any hidden files that i can use to increase the current weapon selection? why my soldiers are using horrible 1st gen M16's and not awesome FAL/CTME/AK's with underslung grenade launchers is chafing at me. I'd also love to see some automatic pistols and revolvers along with improving the shotgun class with carbines/SMG's to take full advantage of this awesome inventory system.

I cant wait for the modding community to pick up so i can use the proper myriad of weapons that this game needs! I always hated how you never used weapons under the old scaling system because there was no point. If you add 50+ dif weapons and allow side by side scaling of the ballistic weapons with the advanced weapons then everyone is happy! I can shoot alien alloy bullets from my AK74/47 while another guy can use his piddly plasma gun.

*Also holy crap adding failed weapons like the caseless G11(http://world.guns.ru/assault/de/hk-g11-e.html) and the gyrojet guns! WE CAN HAVE BOLTERS!

Edited by Arghy

I haven't had much chance to play with the better weapons in Xenonauts before my file eventually comes down with a save game crippling crash, but it kind of feels that all the high level weapons are just stronger than the previous ones but with less ammo (and listed ammo didn't even match total ammo but that might have been a v17 or v18 problem).

That's not bad, but X-Com's weapons were more diverse. Even when I had glorious heavy plasmas, I kept laser pistols around because they were great for destroying walls and terrain. In fact X-Com's engine limits with how much stuff I could bring made the unlimited ammo laser pistols really useful. And then laser weapons were useful against those one terror units used towards the end. Do weaker weapons in Xenonauts still maintain any use at higher levels?