v12: You can start a research project at a brand new base with no scientists.

did you have a lab built in the base?

did the research progress and complete?

you say it messes up the project at a valid base... did you install the same project in both bases? how did it mess it up?

I don't think being able to assign a project to a built lab without any scientists on staff is necessarily a bug, it's not useful, but it's not really "broken". If doing that breaks things somewhere else, that's a bug :)

Ok. I built a base with no lab, no living quarters and no scientists were hired at the base. I forgot to switch to my first base (the one you get already setup) and I started "Alien Invasion". I immediately realized I couldn't assign scientists to the project at the new base. I tried to cancel the project there and go the "right" base. When I attempted select to "alien invasion" there all I got were "####" in the project name and when I added scientists to the project the counter turned red and wouldn't increment, then when I went back to projects screen (after leaving to the geoscape) it said I was making excellent progress with zero scientists assigned.