Range to target in damage formula

I was looking through the Wiki on game mechanics, and I found something odd in the damage formula.

Damage Dealt = Weapon Damage * (1.0 + Damage Coefficient * 0.01) * (Weapon Range / Range To Target) * Diffculty Level Multiplier;

If correct, that Weapon Range / Range to Target part of the equation will give you a massive damage boost at close ranges.

Can anyone verify that this is the correct damage formula? If so, has anyone noticed even the lowly pistol becoming exceptionally deadly at range 1? Various weapons should be getting an 8-20x damage boost at range 1 vs. their standard range if this formula is accurate (because the range is 1, and the weapon range for most weapons is at least 8 - and it's 30 for the machinegun).

Whether that's overpowered or not is certainly up for debate, but before having that debate I'd like to know if this is accurate or not.

Edited by Comassion

I was looking through the Wiki on game mechanics, and I found something odd in the damage formula.

Damage Dealt = Weapon Damage * (1.0 + Damage Coefficient * 0.01) * (Weapon Range / Range To Target) * Diffculty Level Multiplier;

If correct, that Weapon Range / Range to Target part of the equation will give you a massive damage boost at close ranges.

Can anyone verify that this is the correct damage formula? If so, has anyone noticed even the lowly pistol becoming exceptionally deadly at range 1? Various weapons should be getting an 8-20x damage boost at range 1 vs. their standard range if this formula is accurate (because the range is 1, and the weapon range for most weapons is at least 8 - and it's 30 for the machinegun).

Whether that's overpowered or not is certainly up for debate, but before having that debate I'd like to know if this is accurate or not.

Chris and the development team will be the only ones to confirm/deny this, but I do not believe this is the case. From my experience it seems most likely that that ratio is set to have a maximum value of one so anything less than maximum range is simply full damage. Otherwise sniper rifles would be much better than shotguns at close range (range of 30 divided by the 5 spaces would create the insane damage multiplier of 6), which does not seem to be the case.

Chris and the development team will be the only ones to confirm/deny this, but I do not believe this is the case. From my experience it seems most likely that that ratio is set to have a maximum value of one so anything less than maximum range is simply full damage. Otherwise sniper rifles would be much better than shotguns at close range (range of 30 divided by the 5 spaces would create the insane damage multiplier of 6), which does not seem to be the case.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. If we get better confirmation of the formula we should update the wiki.

When you're essentially shooting from one side of a house to the other, should range really affect the damage much ?

If you get the right situation, you can end up taking shots across the length of the battlefield; down a long roadway, for example, where you have a scout at one end and a shooter at the other. At those ranges, weapons like shotguns would have significantly reduced impact.

In the majority of scenarios yes, you're unlikely to be firing that much beyond the weapon's effective range, and even if you do you're really unlikely to hit anything.