Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few suggestions after playing alpha.

I'd like more talking. Even a mod hook triggered by flight events would suffice. As far as more missile types, again, your opinion. I like more options in games as long as they are balanced. I think it makes things more interesting when you have more tactical Possibilities. You aren't obliged to use any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by StellarRat View Post
    As far as more missile types, again, your opinion. I like more options in games as long as they are balanced. I think it makes things more interesting when you have more tactical Possibilities. You aren't obliged to use any of them.
    Of course it is just an opinion, you put yours forward, others put theirs forward, that is how a conversation goes.

You do have tactical possibilities with the current system that are not reliant on adding a new missile type which was what I was pointing out.
    Rather than being stuck with a single combat capable craft you have multiple options to choose from depending on the roles you want to fill.
    I am not saying that more weapons are a bad thing, just that they should fit within the roles the craft are designed for or they will detract from the experience rather than enhance it.

The only point I really would disagree with is 'You aren't obliged to use' the weapons that the system is balanced around.
    If the devs have balanced the game with long range missiles on all interceptors then you would more than likely need to use them or suffer needless losses.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

I guess part of my back of mind reasoning is that I'm trying to make the game more realistic to increase immersion. I don't know of any frontline fighter that doesn't carry both radar and infrared missiles now or in the late 70's. I should also point out that the ATA loadouts a pitifully small even for a light fighter like the F-16. They really ought to be carrying x3 the number of missiles. Anyway, its still great game. :-) can hardly wait for a production version!

Increasing the loadouts so you had maybe 3x the current missiles may make the air combat easier to balance.
    It would also probably make it more complex and/or tougher.
    You would have to fight for longer in order to get that damage into the target and if the enemy had the same increase then that could well be incredibly difficult.

You can always tweak the aircraft weapon numbers and damage to see how it plays.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

Colonel
    Don't forget, if you've not looked through the the xml files, especially the aircraft ones, there's quite a few more missiles to come.

Really, I'd wait until beta and we've got all the planned toys before seeing if we need more or if stuff needs changing.

Probably the biggest concern for the developers is time vs. added value. Adding loads of weapon variants costs time and art budgets and doesn't add very much to game mechanics for the cost. Something like that can be easily addressed by modding though so just wait a bit and someone will mod in every kind of real world weapon in no time.

In the theatre/circus business, the general approach is to either have spoken lines or have everyone on stage be mute. I think that applies equally well to video games -- I don't feel you can have nobody say a word through the whole game, but then fill the dogfights with all kinds of radio chatter. In my eyes, even the curt reports you get at the end of each dogfight is extraneous.