Current icon looks fine, maybe make it red.

Or a red downward arrow with an ! in it as in keep your head down or down as in a negative condition.

Then you can have up arrows as positive effects like moral check save from nearby commanders or alien equivalents.

Having some kind of indicator to show what modifiers are on a unit would be helpful for revealing mechanics such as moral boost range.

Edited by spinaljack

I have played both the Quick Battle against the Androns and normal UFO battles since the latest patch. I have never suppressed an Andron, but the basic weaponry your troops start with contains no weapons that excel at suppression. In the basic UFO battles even without a machinegun you can regularly suppress non combatants with basic fire. Your suggestion to make non-coms more brave seems to make sense.

I understand our difference of opinion, but in my opinion to providing enough firepower for someone to be unable react to others should take a substantial amount of fire. To me the tactical use of suppression is not to allow a soldier to charge up to him from the front without risk, but to hold the enemy in place while your troops move around to flank or mass allow you to concentrate your firepower against the target.

Max - that's spot on in my opinion. I think the main point for me is that, even suppressed, an alien should pose a threat to some joker running straight up to them with a shotgun, and that's why I think an accuracy reduction or a suppressed unit only having a chance to reaction fire would be a good way to go. Or, how about suppression causes a range reduction on the unit? Tweaking the weapons values, it's clear how closely the range stat seems to be linked to accuracy and this would mean that suppressed units have little chance of making a meaningful contribution to a ranged engagement, and they'll be easy prey for a flanking force who keep their distance, but they won't be helpless against a shotgunner who thinks he can run straight up to a suppressed enemy to finish him off.

Saying that though, I seem to remember Chris saying that suppression was intended as a way for stun rod equipped units to close the gap with aliens, so maybe that needs to be taken into account?

Also, anyone got any ideas on how the final suppression icon should look? The current one is a placeholder, and I'm not entirely sure what the final one should look like...

Perhaps a small picture (yellow/black hazard symbol esque?) of a helmeted soldier face down in the dirt with his hands over his ears?

Perhaps a small picture (yellow/black hazard symbol esque?) of a helmeted soldier face down in the dirt with his hands over his ears?

I'd prefer something simpler. The downward pointing arrow containing a ! (or the crouching symbol) would be better I think.

I'd prefer something simpler. The downward pointing arrow containing a ! (or the crouching symbol) would be better I think.

A bit ambiguous, perhaps a "duck and cover" visual metaphor would work best.

It is only ambiguous if you haven't read the manual or seen a loading screen tip that tells you what it means.

Once you do know then that symbol would be simple and not resemble anything else so wouldn't be easily confused.

A more complicated symbol would be less clear, depending on the resolution you are running at.

Also the opposite symbol could be used to represent the suppression regen so you know when your troops have recovered.

Probably only displayed for a second when you first select that trooper in the turn they become unsuppressed.

Maybe neither of those symbols should appear on enemies though, you get enough of a visual cue if they drop to a crouch.

Edited by Gauddlike

The game does say Androns are over confident about their armour plating so maybe they don't expect enemies to be behind them either. They should have a weak spot in the back where all the cables are that a sneaky xenonaut could exploit up close with a shotgun. Or perhaps meleeing one in the back would cause it to go berserk and fire randomly, just like in Terminator.

I have a question about reaction fire that I haven't managed to test, wondering if anyone else has.

Does reaction fire suppress and how many AP does it remove if someone gets suppressed in their own turn?

If I had someone walk into sight of a couple of aliens who took shots and suppressed him would he kneel and lose all of his remaining AP?

I was also thinking that smoke grenades could maybe have a sort of suppression heal or protection effect.

Standing in smoke could make you less vulnerable to suppression because you are harder to pinpoint so (technically) in less danger.

Thin smoke reduces suppression given by 1, medium smoke by 2 and thick smoke by 3 for example.

Maybe they could even be used as reaction fire (i.e. dropped at the troopers feet) when they auto kneel due to suppression, assuming they had enough AP reserved to do so?

The down side to smoke is that once you know where an enemy is you can freely suppress from within your own smoke cloud while they can't see you to return fire.

That is a gameplay down side I mean, not a survival one :P

That would depend on if smoke grenades are set to do stun damage.

At the moment they are set to use the same smoke as frag grenades but I imagine the stun damage would be very low, if any at all.

They are designed to give you cover not to incapacitate the enemy.

If they did do stun damage that pushes them further into an offensive weapon role.

You could throw them at an enemy to potentially knock them out, leave them unable to attack you, and still allow your squad to suppress them.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give some feedback based on suppression in v12.11.

It's much harder to suppress an alien now. Early game, the non-coms usually die before I suppress them, especially with the machinegun. Guards and above are the one who usually get locked by suppression (and to be honest, soliders are the ones who really feel it. Usually guards will die in the next shot after they get suppressed). Due to the placeholder AI, they don't do anything once I suppress them, so I can't really comment on strategy or tactics, because once I lock an alien, that alien is as good as dead.

The civvies are much easier to suppress, and wouldn't you know it? Much less of a pain in the ass when they are suppressed. If I can spare the AP and the bullets, I will lock civvies which are likely to get in the way. And when me and an alien are trading shots, it's really helpful when the civvies get suppressed.

Because there doesn't seem to be that strong a bullet variance when a shot misses, I haven't yet seen an alien get suppressed by a shot that has gone wide. Admittedly machinegun shots do go very wide, but out of a burst of five at least two will either hit or land close by, so it doesn't look that unusual.